Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:36   #1
Rev. ChadW

How old is too old to join the police?

Hope you guys can help me out. I'm thirty-six years old and I am looking to make a career change. I was a criminal justice major in college, however I got married half way through and had to start working in my family's car dealership, that was fifteen years ago. My question is am I past the age to be able to finish up my degree in a couple of years and enter law enforcement? Or has Father Time passed by?
Rev. ChadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:52   #2
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

This question comes up (everywhere) fairly often.

No, you are not too old.

Will you be older than most rookies? Yeah, you will.

Are you too old to start at some agencies? Yeah, you are (35 is a hard line in a number of places, some are higher)

The thing you need to ask yourself is, are you up to it?

Some agencies have a fair operational tempo. You will take a lot of hot calls. Jumping fences, kicking doors, fighting with fools. Are you up to that?

Some agencies are pretty slow...but you never know when it will go down, will you be ready?

Good luck. There are people in there 50's who start this game.

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

"Few men desire liberty; most men wish only for a just master." - Sallust
Rabbi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:56   #3
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

BTW, if you "have what it takes..." some other major consideration.

Are you up to the task of never ending shift work? At your age, you might be used to a grove. Shift work can suck the life out of you and destroy a family.

Are you ready to be the old guy being told what to do by young guys? Your Sergeant could be in his 20's.

Are you ready to lose a lot of friends and have your social life change?

Is your family up to the task?

If you are religious, are you ready for the foulness of the job....and your co workers. You may never fit in. Cops are pretty crude people.

Can you drop a tactical F bomb on someone?

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

Last edited by Rabbi; 03-22-2013 at 11:59..
Old 03-22-2013, 12:49   #4
South Fla
©South Fla 2014

The Rabbi speaks many a wise word on this topic.

There was a 53 year-old gentleman who graduated from the Kentucky State Police academy a number of years ago. So I am sure that if you set your mind to it, use commitment and dedication, you can succeed.

That being said, police work/law enforcement is a dirty, dirty business, both inside and out.

Law enforcement is not for everybody, because it is not meant to be.
South Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:54   #5
pgg00

No you are not too old. Pay attention to the points rabbi makes though. They are the truth.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

WiskyT :whistling:
There's nothing like the fact that you can take educated professionals with everything on the line and add a little booze and they act like juniors in HS.
pgg00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 13:22   #6
Ajon412

As mentioned, Rabbi is "spot on". Another question that only you can answer is, are you willing to relocate to fulfill your dream? I have no idea what the LE job prospects are in your neck of the woods, so you may have to look elsewhere. There are a few here in CT that have done just that and have been quite successful. Also, don't rule out what I refer to as "non-traditional" LE agencies / departments (campus/university, transportation, railroad, environmental, hospital, etc). Good luck.....
Ajon412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 14:44   #7
DaBigBR
No Infidels!

Thirty-six is not too old, but you don't "join" the police, you apply, test, interview, and get hired. It's fairly competitive everywhere I can think of. Your age is actually an asset.

-David Simon in "Homicide"
DaBigBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 15:04   #8
Islander-11
Meat detective

I went through the academy at 41. It was a young 41...

The Rabbi's reply is right on the money. Be honest - if you can't carry your weight, you're a liability that could get yourself or others hurt / killed. It had better be a passion, because there are many days where this career can suck the life out of you. The toughest part for me, having been a free range chicken for 41 years, was (is) the administrative crap.

Best wishes. Choose wisely!
Old 03-22-2013, 15:40   #9
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBigBR View Post
Thirty-six is not too old, but you don't "join" the police, you apply, test, interview, and get hired. It's fairly competitive everywhere I can think of. Your age is actually an asset.
Indeed. It isnt easy to get hired and it can take a long damned time.

Outside of knowing somebody, which is life, deal with it...I have noticed that it can be a crap shoot. Departments are run by people with agendas, personalities and liability concerns. What might look like a good fit to one agency might not to another.

Find out what it takes to be a cop in your State, then exceed that and go forth and find your match.

I started in my early 30's and it has been one of the best choices I ever made. (I dont work as a full time Officer but I do work full time sometimes) I think I would have felt *happy* doing this job at most agencies but I feel as though I really lucked out and found a great match which is simply amazing. Dont underestimate the importance of the culture of the Agency you work for and how it will affect you in every possible way.

Good luck.

Last edited by Rabbi; 03-22-2013 at 15:40..
Old 03-22-2013, 15:59   #10
SARG

I went through the academy at 39.
Old 03-22-2013, 15:19   #11
Bushido5150

I just started working at 34. You can do it

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 03-22-2013, 16:00   #12
lndshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajon412 View Post
As mentioned, Rabbi is "spot on". Another question that only you can answer is, are you willing to relocate to fulfill your dream? I have no idea what the LE job prospects are in your neck of the woods, so you may have to look elsewhere. There are a few here in CT that have done just that and have been quite successful. Also, don't rule out what I refer to as "non-traditional" LE agencies / departments (campus/university, transportation, railroad, environmental, hospital, etc). Good luck.....
...Conservation Officer...Good luck!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 03-22-2013, 16:17   #13
Ajon412

Quote:
Originally Posted by lndshark View Post
...Conservation Officer...Good luck!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Yea, I had to throw that one out there......
Ajon412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 16:01   #14
ViennaGambit

Are there "Reserves" that you can apply to in order to test the waters? Depending on where you are, it IS the real thing when you are on duty...

I'm 30 and have always been drawn to LE work - at this point I am too afraid it will hurt family life with a newish wife and baby on the way...

It is a dream to give the Phoenix Reserves a shot, if I can make it and then take it from there.
Old 03-22-2013, 16:07   #15
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViennaGambit View Post
Are there "Reserves" that you can apply to in order to test the waters? Depending on where you are, it IS the real thing when you are on duty...

I'm 30 and have always been drawn to LE work - at this point I am too afraid it will hurt family life with a newish wife and baby on the way...

It is a dream to give the Phoenix Reserves a shot, if I can make it and then take it from there.
In some places Reserves are the "real thing" 24/7. (A cop is a cop) I am a Reserve. I went through the same State mandated training as every other Peace Officer in the State. I have the same powers on and off duty, 24/7. When I am on duty, what I do is indistinguishable from what any other Officer does. I understand it is not that way in all States but I am pointing out in some areas it is.

It isnt a bad idea. Just keep in mind, the process is often the same, the difference is the commitment. Full time or Reserve in a lot of places, it will take you the same amount of time to get there.

Old 03-22-2013, 16:34   #16
CBennett

Be very careful, you ARE NOT too old BUT....many(all that ive dealt with) have age cut offs and the cut off is somewhere between 36-38. When I was in the academy back in 1990/91 I had been in the military and was in college at that time so I was a tad bit older at 22 years old. The cut off was 38 years old.

We had a guy that was working at that time a good paying factory job making $47,000 a year(and in Western NY back in 1990/91 that was EXCELLENT $$) he always wanted to be a Police Officer so he quit his job. LE was in his blood his family had a long line of officers his dad was a VERY good officer that actually had some Precedent Setting cases he was part of(something to do with Radar and a officers trained judgement that got upheld in NYS supreme(or appeals cant remember) court that was taught in the academy as to why we ran and had radar the way NYS can do it...but anyways....He did decent in the academy and passed..bad part was a year after the academy he still didnt have a job..no one would hire him because of his age...and at that time he only has 3 months to go before the "cut off" applied to him ....I moved away and I never knew what happened or if he got a job...just about everyone else got a job after the academy..no one would give him one because of his age...hope he finally caught on...but Im not sure.
CBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 20:00   #17
Glock45Lover

I went through the Academy at age 38 after completing 20 years in the Air Force. I was the second oldest in the class. For 26 weeks I thought it would kill me. And I loved every minute of it! There's just something about the experience that is hard to explain. Not the academics or the physical training, but the connection with the other cadets that stays with you for life.

You are only as old as you allow yourself to be. If you REALLY want to be in Law Enforcement, then DO IT. If your heart is in it, you will not regret it. You will be part of one of the largest families in the world.

I am about to complete my 20th year as a State LEO. I have had a great time, even though I have seen some things that really hit me hard. If I could go back in time, I wouldn't change a thing.

Come join the family.

21 Club Member #4500.
Glock45Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 21:47   #18
boomhower

No your certainly not. A lot of guys go through after doing 20 years in the military. When I was in school one guy turned 60 the week we graduated. He got a job too, actually pretty quick at that. Lots of good points to think about have been pointed out but strictly from an age perspective you certainly are not to old.
boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:28   #19
ditchdoc24

I went through the Academy at 34 with no problems. Now with 4 years on, I'm still on night shift, which seems to work for my family. Be prepared to work shifts because that's probably what you'll be doing. Other than that, Rabbi covered everything else almost perfectly. I love what I do but I won't get rich at it. Thankfully my family is in a good financial situation so I don't have to make a ton of money to make ends meet.
ditchdoc24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:40   #20
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. ChadW View Post
Hope you guys can help me out. I'm thirty-six years old and I am looking to make a career change. I was a criminal justice major in college, however I got married half way through and had to start working in my family's car dealership, that was fifteen years ago. My question is am I past the age to be able to finish up my degree in a couple of years and enter law enforcement? Or has Father Time passed by?
I worked with a guy who went through the academy in his 60's, twice. He passed both times, but the department dropped out of the training program after the first time (training was not mandatory when I was a cop) and then had to send everybody through a second time when they went back into it.

The first state police academy class I taught in, in 2005, had a guy who was 42 and ended up being class valedictorian - he's a sergeant now, which is very quick for KSP. The next class had a guy about that age who had already retired from the Army as a first sergeant.

I was only 22 when I went to the police academy, but I was honor graduate of my drill sergeant school class, which is MUCH more physical, at 42.

It's all about you, not age.

Last edited by Bren; 03-23-2013 at 05:41..
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote