Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-22-2013, 06:34   #1
Austin Millbarge

Securing rifles in a Ford Expedition

So, I just got issued a Ford Expedition for patrol, and have nowhere to secure my M4. Our wonderful policy is to secure long guns in the trunk, but I no longer have a trunk. Our DEP guys have an overhead rack with locks. My agency is moderately touchy feely so I don't think I can pull that off without a boss having a solid gold kitten.

Any body bolt one to the floor? Console?

I have no room in the back part, rack of portable scales take up that room.

Thanks.
Austin Millbarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:09   #2
Ftttu

I was driving an '08 Expedition for about 6 months last year, and I just don't remember how the rack was mounted behind my head. What I can't remember is if it was mounted on the ceiling or the cage. I won't see the unit again until next Wednesday. It is possible it is mounted like my current '09 CVPI, but I can't run out and see it right now since it is being borrowed by another officer today.(still not happy they took his unit for 2 weeks for our academy's EVOC class)
Ftttu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:10   #3
Austin Millbarge

Thanks, no cage in mine, so I would have to find another way to secure it. I'm thinking bolt the lock to the floor.
Old 03-25-2013, 21:17   #4
Ftttu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftttu View Post
I was driving an '08 Expedition for about 6 months last year, and I just don't remember how the rack was mounted behind my head. What I can't remember is if it was mounted on the ceiling or the cage. I won't see the unit again until next Wednesday. It is possible it is mounted like my current '09 CVPI, but I can't run out and see it right now since it is being borrowed by another officer today.(still not happy they took his unit for 2 weeks for our academy's EVOC class)
Our CVPI and Expeditions have the rifle racks bolted to the front side of the cage's roll bar. Since the OP's unit has no cage, that is out of the quesion.
Ftttu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:47   #5
Austin Millbarge

Thanks for the ideas, just going to use a Big Sky rack and bolt it to my scales and weld the bolts over.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:20   #6
txleapd
Hook 'Em Up

Could you make something like this work?

http://www.raclocked.com/product/NG-93000056

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
1911 Club #75
Kahr Club #286
Lone Star Glockers #919

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud
txleapd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:30   #7
Austin Millbarge

Possibly, that could work. Thanks.
Old 03-22-2013, 16:33   #8
Steve in PA

Our rifle and shotgun are in cases that are stowed in the rear compartment of our Expedition.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps. Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945"
Steve in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:45   #9
collim1
Shower Time!

http://www.pro-gard.com/products/Cargo_Cabinets.asp

http://www.pro-gard.com/products/G5500.asp

The second is a no holes drilled installation, not sure about the first.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:58   #10
Austin Millbarge

No room for something that big, portable truck scales in the back. Thanks though.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:28   #11
pgg00

How about something like this? Put a rifle lock on it instead of a shotgun mount. It'll be muzzle down into the passenger side floor board.
http://www.pro-gard.com/products/G4908.asp

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

WiskyT :whistling:
There's nothing like the fact that you can take educated professionals with everything on the line and add a little booze and they act like juniors in HS.
pgg00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:42   #12
WiCK3D_SiX

Check out fleetsafety.com for some nice vehicle racks and storage. Love that site.

Dustin

Dustin
WiCK3D_SiX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 16:32   #13
walkin' trails

Consider a Truck Vault. The company builds them to fit all of the common SUVs used b law enforcement, and its probably the safest, most secure, least visible way to conceal long guns and other equipment. They're not cheap, probably running $600-800, but they're also relatively easy to install compared to racks.

I ran into that problem trying to find racks for AR-15s about seven years ago. Most of the traditional racks are designed for Crown Vics, Caprices, Impalas, Tahoes, but none for less visible unmarked vehicles such as Grand Prixs, Taurus (before the current interceptor), G6s, etc. It ended up getting expensive after finding a shop to fabricate the mounts so we could put them in trunks. Furthermore, I learned on a Nissan Altima that there really wasn't enough thick metal in the trunk floor or deck to screw into. The only place where the metal was thick enough was in the floor pan, and the fuel tank was directly below causing them not to want to drill there either. We don't run cages, and I've had reasonable luck putting a rack horizontally on the floor behind the front seats of SUVs and four door pickups. With intermediate sized vehicles, however, it kills your back seat leg room.

That's why I would say go for the Truck Vaults.
Firearms Instructor
walkin' trails is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 19:41   #14
CBennett

The one i saw(durango) had 2 light gauge metal cases slightly larger than a gun case about the same type of metal used in those stackon types they seemed to be made to bolt to the floor of the storage space in a suv they had 2 one had a AR with mags in it the other a shotgun. I think it may have been a Sgt's /supervisors vehicle.

they have something similar at intensetactical.com

also look at www.800toolbox.com/lockup_box/lockup_boxes

Last edited by CBennett; 03-24-2013 at 20:15..
CBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 20:27   #15
MakeMineA10mm
Lifetime Membership
300AAC brass

Good solution you've already figured out for yourself.

Being the dept. smart-anus, I'd have to fabricate the rack to lay horizontally across that expansive dashboard, just because "they" want to be low-profile...

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Looking for: FBI 100yr, Bell Helo, FOP Lodge1, Kiowa Warrior, SCI, and any new/unknown-to-me commemoratives.
MakeMineA10mm is offline   Reply With Quote