SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-18-2013, 13:21   #1
cysoto
Gone Shooting!

I Am Not a "Sheepdog"

I saw this video posted on another forum. What do you folks think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=AldptFMs2AM
Old 03-18-2013, 13:35   #2
Spiffums
I.C.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cysoto View Post
I saw this video posted on another forum. What do you folks think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=AldptFMs2AM

I'm not either. I have no duty or obligation to protect anyone outside of my family. Why open myself to personal and financial harm for someone else who won't take their personal defense seriously and they would most likely not pee in my ear if my head was on fire if the shoe was on the other foot.
Old 03-18-2013, 13:39   #3
mustang6112
Watching

he makes some valid points, but he could have done it in about 2 minutes vice the seven+ that he blathered on...

"Im a sheepdog. I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf. The sheep hate the sheepdog. He looks like the wolf and has a capacity for violence.
mustang6112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 13:43   #4
cysoto
Gone Shooting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang6112 View Post
he makes some valid points, but he could have done it in about 2 minutes vice the seven+ that he blathered on...
Yes, that is very true; his video could have been shorter.

I too believe that he makes some valid points and I find it interesting that, on the other forum where this was posted, many people responding called him a coward for choosing not to protect others.

I don't know, I just thought that is would be interesting to see what the good folks of GT had to say about the video...
Old 03-19-2013, 03:02   #5
eccho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffums View Post
I'm not either. I have no duty or obligation to protect anyone outside of my family. Why open myself to personal and financial harm for someone else who won't take their personal defense seriously and they would most likely not pee in my ear if my head was on fire if the shoe was on the other foot.
You have a very dim view of the world sir.
eccho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:52   #6
SC Tiger
Some say...

Quote:
Bingo. My firearm is there to protect me, Mrs. SC Tiger and little SC Tiger. Everyone else is on their own.

That doesn't mean I will allow a child to get abducted or harmed, or a woman to get robbed, raped or the #### beat out of her in my presence. But the circumstances will dictate how I react.

A mass shooting - depends on my location, distance to the shooter, presence of cover or concealment, sight lines, and the presence or absence of my family.

Quote:
If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Last edited by SC Tiger; 06-18-2014 at 07:53..
SC Tiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 15:04   #7
MedicOni

Quote:
This. I fully agree. There's a suicide/PTSD awareness organization that operates for FD/EMS in my local area that terms those two professions as 'Shepherds'. And I find that to be more true.
I will protect myself, I will protect my family, but my job is not to defend the world. I will do my best to step in and provide aid if someone else is hurt however, but my safety is paramount if I or my family is not being threatened

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

NR-P, NM EMT-P, TX, EMT-P, FP-C

Last edited by MedicOni; 06-18-2014 at 15:04..
MedicOni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 13:38   #8
Glock20 10mm
Use Linux!

I agree with his prose. Makes perfect sense and pretty much my stance as well.
Glock20 10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 13:42   #9
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
Sounds likes he's trying to justify his stance to himself. Sad way to go through life.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
AK_Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 18:05   #10
czsmithGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Stick View Post
Sounds likes he's trying to justify his stance to himself. Sad way to go through life.
BS. He is 100% correct.
czsmithGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:17   #11
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by czsmithGT View Post
BS. He is 100% correct.
Being a coward isn't really "correct" or "incorrect," it's just the nature of some people. The attempt to justify it with explanation is the evidence of their nature. To them, it is perfectly logical and anybody who takes a risk to help others is foolish or "childish" or whatever. I assume it makes the cowards feel better to convince themselves that they are superior. The rest of us, on the other hand, don't view them that way.
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:52   #12
tsmo1066
Happy Smiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
Being a coward isn't really "correct" or "incorrect," it's just the nature of some people. The attempt to justify it with explanation is the evidence of their nature. To them, it is perfectly logical and anybody who takes a risk to help others is foolish or "childish" or whatever. I assume it makes the cowards feel better to convince themselves that they are superior. The rest of us, on the other hand, don't view them that way.
It isn't cowardice to put your family's safety and welfare first. To the contrary, failing to place your family's safety and welfare first by intervening in a situation in such a way as to place your own children, spouse or loved ones in harm's way is a moral and ethical betrayal of your responsibilities as a spouse and parent.

Playing hero with your own life is one thing. Playing hero with your children's lives is quite another.

May you have food and raiment, a soft pillow for your head, and may you be forty years in Heaven before the Devil knows you're dead! - Old Irish Toast

Last edited by tsmo1066; 03-19-2013 at 09:55..
tsmo1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:32   #13
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmo1066 View Post
It isn't cowardice to put your family's safety and welfare first. To the contrary, failing to place your family's safety and welfare first by intervening in a situation in such a way as to place your own children, spouse or loved ones in harm's way is a moral and ethical betrayal of your responsibilities as a spouse and parent.

Playing hero with your own life is one thing. Playing hero with your children's lives is quite another.
Your position suggests you believe that one is mutually exclusive to the other.

Not to mention, it seems your position is that every soldier who's given his life betrayed his family.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
AK_Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:22   #14
Peace Warrior
CLM Number 221
Am Yisrael Chai

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Stick View Post
Something is wrong in the matrix as we agree on this one.

(skeery...)
"Nothing we're gonna do is going to fundamentally alter or eliminate the possibility of another mass shooting or guarantee that [our gun ban legislation] will bring gun deaths down..." - VPOTUS Joe Biden
"Love 'Em All!!! Let Jehovah sort 'em out." - The Holy Bible
"It's a lot simpler to fool people than it is to convince them they've been fooled."
Peace Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 13:45   #15
Stock45

I always thought the sheepdog thing was cheesy, and wondered if the guys that posted about it had just finished a 3hr session of COD on the XBox.
Stock45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 13:49   #16
mustang6112
Watching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stock45 View Post
I always thought the sheepdog thing was cheesy, and wondered if the guys that posted about it had just finished a 3hr session of COD on the XBox.
Nope, I prefer NHL12...

"Im a sheepdog. I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf. The sheep hate the sheepdog. He looks like the wolf and has a capacity for violence.
Old 03-18-2013, 15:20   #17
Rooster Rugburn
Got Pignose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stock45 View Post
The sheepdog thing isn't "cheesy", it's childish. It's desperately seeking admiration.

He is right about 'not knowing what is going on'. A mass shooting in a mall is one thing. Intervening in a situation in a parking lot at Wal Mart is another. As soon as a stranger steps in, it will turn out to be a domestic violence situation, which is hard enough on cops, and both parties will turn on the "Sheepdog".

In our HCP class, the example of stepping into a gunfight was demonstrated, and the results were that you don't know who is who, or what is what, and Bubba gets a new roommate. It's best to mind your own business.

I would try to act to stop an obvious abduction\kidnapping of a child or female, but I don't go out looking to be Matt Dillon. But hey, if others want to take the risks to try and be a hero, more power to them.

Ever notice that people who say "There is no I in TEAM" are the ones always riding your coattails?
Rooster Rugburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 20:50   #18
mustang6112
Watching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn View Post
The sheepdog thing isn't "cheesy", it's childish. It's desperately seeking admiration
So sayeth the person with an avatar named after a fictional former insurgent and bank robber turned drunkard who has a tendency to speak with his pistol, played on the big screen by a western legend...
I will agree with you that the average Joe who is walking around referring to himself as a sheepdog because he is carrying is probably looking for attention and more of a danger to himself and others than he is helpful.

Last edited by mustang6112; 03-18-2013 at 20:56..
Old 03-18-2013, 21:14   #19
Rooster Rugburn
Got Pignose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang6112 View Post
So sayeth the person with an avatar named after a fictional former insurgent and bank robber turned drunkard who has a tendency to speak with his pistol, played on the big screen by a western legend...
That' some stupid **** right there, I don't care who you are, that's stupid ****.

Ever notice that people who say "There is no I in TEAM" are the ones always riding your coattails?
Rooster Rugburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:54   #20
mustang6112
Watching

Quote:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
ahhh... no. Your comment below applies to your comment above.

Quote:
That' some stupid **** right there, I don't care who you are, that's stupid ****.

Tags
ccw, sheepdog