Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-24-2013, 22:50   #1
rebeccmh

Training at home for a new gun owner

Hi everyone! I'm new on this site and a new Glock owner. I purchased a G26 Gen 3 back in November for self defense and conceal carry and finally received my CWP a couple of weeks ago. I was originally hoping to be able to go out to the range at least once a month and practice in addition to dry fire practice, but I'm a graduate student so my schedule or finances haven't allowed me to do so as much as I want. I do occasionally do dry fire practice with snap caps to work on obtaining a sight picture and work on my trigger pull, but I am just curious about what methods you all recommend for your training at home when you can't get out to the range.

Helpful websites for women:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
rebeccmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:06   #2
troysglock

I put a notecard on my safe and practice drawing and making a good trigger press. I focus 100% on keeping the front sight locked on and still through the press. 10 or 15 min. Is all a couple times a week.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:38   #3
Beanie-Bean

Practice drawing from concealment, and mind your trigger discipline.

Also, no ammo in the room while dry firing!

Congrats on the new Glock and carry license, and welcome to GT!

Beanie-Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:08   #4
ezthumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie-Bean View Post
Practice drawing from concealment, and mind your trigger discipline.
Also make sure you alert others in your house hold that you are doing this.

It makes for an awkward conversation with your wife when your kids come up to mommy and asks if daddy is ok...
ezthumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 15:31   #5
Slobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezthumper View Post
Also make sure you alert others in your house hold that you are doing this.

It makes for an awkward conversation with your wife when your kids come up to mommy and asks if daddy is ok...
Heard not long ago from my 6 year old daughter, "Mommy, daddy's playing with his guns again!"

Mom: "Tell him not to hurt anyone."

Gen3 G17 Gen3 G19 Gen3 G21 Gen3 G22 Gen3 G23
Slobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 21:06   #6
GLOCK19FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie-Bean View Post
Also, no ammo in the room while dry firing!
I can completely understand the "no ammo in magazines or chamber when dry firing" rule - acceptable and common sense.

But why the "no ammo in the room when dry firing" ??

...( ‘_’)
…/”"”"”"”"”"”\======░ · · · · · ·
/”"”"”"”"”"”"”"\
\_@_@_@_@_/

Last edited by GLOCK19FTW; 03-04-2013 at 21:07..
GLOCK19FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:11   #7
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Dry firing is always good (as long as your technique is correct to begin with).

So you're a graduate student, huh. Good! That means you can, probably, read a book. (You certainly write well enough, though, only in the, 'modern style'.)

I'm going to suggest that you get yourself a set of D.R. Middlebrooks' 'Fist-Fire' DVD's. After more than 50 years of handling pistols (with some success) the, 'Fist-Fire' technique changed my life! I only wish I'd either invented, 'Fist-Fire' myself, or discovered this method a lot sooner in life than I did.

As I continue to age and my body continues to decline I've been (Happily!) able to maintain my pistol shooting ability by a judicious application of Middlebrook's shooting techniques - Techniques which I've, now, studied and practiced in meticulous and intimate detail. For a lot of subtle reasons, 'Fist-Fire' really works, and works very well!

My suggestion is for you to, at least, get the videos; very carefully study Middlebrook's, 'body language'; and apply these techniques to your own personal pistol-handling style. If pistol shooting is something you're really interested in, I think you'll end up wearing these videos out, AND become a much better, 'pistolero' than you, otherwise, might ever have been.

Whatever way you go, good luck to you! (And, you're going to need a larger size pistol.)

ADDED: Beanie-Bean is very correct!

WATCH YOUR TRIGGER FINGER DISCIPLINE; AND, ....... COMMIT JEFF COOPER'S, 'FOUR RULES OF GUN SAFETY' TO BOTH YOUR MEMORY AND BODY REFLEXES!

Here ya go: http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/blog.php?b=575

Last edited by Arc Angel; 02-25-2013 at 07:19..
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:20   #8
Racefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc Angel View Post

I'm going to suggest that you get yourself a set of D.R. Middlebrooks' 'Fist-Fire' DVD's. After more than 50 years of handling pistols (with some success) the, 'Fist-Fire' technique changed my life! I only wish I'd either invented, 'Fist-Fire' myself, or discovered this method a lot sooner in life than I did.
Thanks for this tip. Went to the TSA site and watched the two intro videos - this looks like just what I'm looking for. Newbie here too - took a basic class like the OP but need to go further and I'm struggling a little trying to figure out where to turn to develop proper techniques for defensive shooting - this looks like a good next step. Ordered.

Ron
Racefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:22   #9
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Racefan, you’re certainly welcome.

I honestly believe that - someday, and in spite of his competitors and rivals frequent criticisms - D.R. Middlebrooks is going to be remembered along with the likes of: Jeff Cooper, Louis Chiodo, Jim Cirillo, and certain others as an outstanding pistolero who has made, both, a significant contribution to, as well as an indelible impression on the way the rest of us handle pistols. (I really mean that!)

The genius of Middlebrooks’, ‘Fist-Fire’ system is that instead of you and I having to train our bodies to, 'overcome' and, 'discipline' our natural physiques and physical impulses, Middlebrooks has discovered how to make the human body’s musculoskeletal system work FOR the shooter, rather than AGAINST him.

Any healthy young adult can discipline his mind and body to work together in order to wield a pistol and hit the target. These feats can be accomplished through a wide variety of different physical approaches; i.e.: ‘Weaver’, ‘Isosceles’, ‘Chapman’, and, ‘Reverse Chapman’ (Which is, of course, one component of the, ‘Fist-Fire’ method of combat pistolcraft.)

We, all, need to remember that pistol shooting, more than many other physical sports, is a volatile physical skill that will, by degree, rapidly decline over time. The real art to pistolcraft is to be able to continue training and, ‘disciplining’ your body to obey your will as you continue to age and get older. (Trust me. Something like Alzheimer's disease aside, if you keep on breathing, sooner or later, increased fatigue and declining physical skill sets are going to become your strongest physical challenges!)

As I’ve aged I’ve discovered that it’s often better to, ‘work’ with my body rather than to continue to attempt to, ‘discipline’ it into doing what I want. THIS is where the, ‘Fist-Fire’ system of pistolcraft shines! All of a sudden your body is working for, rather than against, you; and - regardless of either increased shooting fatigue, or advancing age - riddling a target with bullets remains just that much easier to do.

Whether a person is young like you, or old like me, working WITH your body has to be a whole lot better than attempting to, 'DISCIPLINE' it into obeying your will. Frankly, I think you’ll be very pleased with the choice you’ve just made.

Good luck!

Last edited by Arc Angel; 02-25-2013 at 09:24..
Old 02-25-2013, 18:37   #10
Racefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc Angel View Post

Whether a person is young like you, or old like me, working WITH your body has to be a whole lot better than attempting to, 'DISCIPLINE' it into obeying your will. Frankly, I think you’ll be very pleased with the choice you’ve just made.

Good luck!
Thanks for the expansion Arc - looking forward to getting the DVDs. For your consideration - there might be a minor error in your post from assuming all newbs are young - I know "young" is a relative term, but I'm 63 and shot a handgun for the first time in my life a month ago.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:48   #11
Kentguy

rebeccmh,

Congratulations on your new Glock. Let me make a few other suggestions concerning your home defense thinking.

#1. take an honest look at your home, where do you feel is the weakest point in your defense? Practice "coming at it" from that point in mind.
#2. If you had to, what would be the furthest point you would have to fire from? Step it off, let's say it comes to (example) 30', that is the distance that you and your Glock will need to be most proficient at.
#3. Because we are taking about a short distance, speed is of the essence here. Make sure your Glock is going to be stored in a place you can get to in under 2 seconds.

Remember the bad guys aren't going to wait until you get prepared to confront them... their counting on the fact that you won't be prepared!

Good luck to you and be safe.

Last edited by Kentguy; 02-25-2013 at 07:48..
Kentguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 17:59   #12
AZson

Work on your trigger. buy the cheapest pica-tinny rail laser you can find, put a 12 in circle on your living room wall. During commercials pull you gun and dry fire while keeping the pointer light in the circle. It's harder then you think. Make sure you use the tip of your trigger finger.
When your ready get about 4 more magazines then go shoot a few IDPA matches. dont worry about winning just go to shoot and reload while moving, when competing the recoil is the last thing you think about. shooting becomes second nature.

Last edited by AZson; 02-25-2013 at 18:03..
AZson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 20:02   #13
rebeccmh

This is all great advice! Thank you so much!
Arc Angel, I will definitely look in to getting these DVDs! - I already bookmarked them on Amazon I have a great appreciation for the physical aspect of shooting, so these DVDs sound great!
Quote:
Whatever way you go, good luck to you! (And, you're going to need a larger size pistol.)
The more I get in to shooting the more I see this happening in the next year or so! :D
AzSon, I have seen the LaserLyte pistol trainer before, but are there any others you would recommend? Once of my goals is to shoot in a GSSF or other local match once I've trained more, hopefully before the end of this summer. I figure if I'm going to own a gun I might as well have fun with it! - safely -
tryosglock, Beanie-Bean & Kentguy, these are all really good points, especially considering the small size and layout of my apartment. That will definitely be my next step while I wait on getting the DVDs Arc Angel recommended!

Last edited by rebeccmh; 02-25-2013 at 20:07..
Old 02-25-2013, 20:14   #14
Racefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeccmh View Post
Arc Angel, I will definitely look in to getting these DVDs! - I already bookmarked them on Amazon
Just a heads-up - that DVD set is quite a bit cheaper directly from [URL="http://www.tacticalshooting.com/store/"]the author[/URL] than it is on Amazon.
Old 02-25-2013, 20:24   #15
rebeccmh

Thanks, Racefan!

Old 02-26-2013, 05:26   #16
Snakeonastick

Thanks ArcAngel. I ordered the DVD's as well.

This is just what I have been looking for.

Last edited by Snakeonastick; 02-26-2013 at 05:27..
Snakeonastick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:19   #17
rebeccmh

I watched the videos posted on his website and loved them. I can't wait to get the DVDs! I am originally from northern VA, and his range is about 4 hours from where I grew up. I'd love to take his training classes some day!

Old 02-26-2013, 16:43   #18
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Gee, guys, I feel like I might have actually done some good today! I want you, all, to know that I KNOW from personal experience that, 'Fist-Fire' really does work. I always held my pistol in the way that Middlebrooks recommends; I used to shoot either, 'Chapman' or, 'Isosceles'; now I shoot, 'Reverse Chapman'; and I love it! I could say more; but I don't want to, 'steal D.R.'s thunder'.

Racefan, at only 63, I'm going to call you, 'Junior'!
Old 03-04-2013, 21:04   #19
LApm9

Insurance for firearms safety training?

whoops!

Last edited by LApm9; 03-04-2013 at 21:05..
LApm9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
g26, self defense, training, women