Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:49   #1
vart

More proof people are getting dumber...

Or maybe it's just the people in my current location...

Driving to work this morning, there is a heavy fog with about 300' of visibility for about 15 miles of my trip.

It's a 4-lane highway with a 65mph speed limit.

Back where I grew up in Idaho, whenever there was the occasional winter/spring fog in the morning, people turned on their headlights.

Duh; that's common sense. Occasionally you would see a single car go by without headlights on and you would flash the person to turn their lights on.

This morning, fully half or more of the cars didn't have any lights on...

Really?! Now, does that mean that people are dumber than they were 15 years ago when I drove in fog in Idaho, or are people in Arizona dumber than people in Idaho?

"That's a big bite of crap sandwich, my friend..."

Rabbi - "Anyways, that is a beautiful car. Bill probably already farted in it."
vart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:52   #2
Glock20 10mm
Use Linux!

It's the false sense of security new cars provide. And yes, people are generally most stupid now.
Glock20 10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:53   #3
FullClip
CLM Number 171
NRA Benefactor

Yep....nothing like a gray car zipping down the road in the fog, or a white car in a snow storm with no lights.

We call them "stealth fighters" back home, and yes....I think they are idiots.

Don't worry though, Arizona doesn't have a monopoly on them.
Old 02-21-2013, 14:10   #4
Rutha73

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullClip View Post
Yep....nothing like a gray car zipping down the road in the fog, or a white car in a snow storm with no lights.

We call them "stealth fighters" back home, and yes....I think they are idiots.

Don't worry though, Arizona doesn't have a monopoly on them.
I think we might during the winter, all the bad drivers come here this time of year!
Old 02-21-2013, 10:58   #5
Shiloh228

It's what I call the "OCOR" syndrome..."only car on the road" Most dumb***** drivers today don't have any consideration -- or perception -- of any other cars/drivers around them. Not to mention talking/texting distractions.

As regards headlights...I have seen (barely...) drivers after sunset without lights.

I'm convinced the thought process is: "I can see just fine...why do I need lights?" No thought about visibility to others (see above "OCOR Syndrome")

Just further evidence of widespread DWI...Driving While Idiot...

Last edited by Shiloh228; 02-21-2013 at 10:58..
Shiloh228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:06   #6
slhfarm
CLM Number 34
Wheeee!!!!!?!

Not just your location. I got a dose of that the other day. Lots of grey and silver cars with no headlights on. I wonder if more people are relying on automatic headlights and don't think to turn them on manually?
slhfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:20   #7
CarryTexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh228 View Post
I'm convinced the thought process is: "I can see just fine...why do I need lights?" No thought about visibility to others (see above "OCOR Syndrome")

Just further evidence of widespread DWI...Driving While Idiot...

That is exactly what i have always thought about these types of drivers!
Old 02-21-2013, 11:03   #8
vart

The other thing I see a lot is people driving with just the DRLs on at night. No taillights...

I lost a close friend years ago to some idiot with no taillights driving 35 in a 65. My friend came up on them and had to swerve at the last second to avoid and ended up losing control and rolling the vehicle several times... The idiot driver just kept on going and was never found.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:05   #9
Kyle M.

I see it alot too, though I've always been taught different. Of course my lights turn themselves on most of the times that I need them, and before you start knocking these new cars with there fancy automatic lights mine just so happens to be 25 years old. Heck mine are so sensitive they come on when it's just cloudy.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2

Pedersoli Rolling Block .45-70

Last edited by Kyle M.; 02-21-2013 at 11:09..
Kyle M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:15   #10
Shiloh228

I have a friend who has driven Vettes for most of his life...and he drives with headlights on all the time. (not sure why I mentioned the Vettes...just think it's a cool obsession for an engineer/lawyer...).

He also has installed a switch that allows him to turn on his brake lights independent of the brake pedal...a "back off" signal to tail-gaters.

He has also worked on an igniter/oil spray system for his exhaust... He really hates tail-gaters!

Sorry for the OT drift...couldn't stop myself...
Shiloh228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:24   #11
FullClip
CLM Number 171
NRA Benefactor

Quote:
He has also worked on an igniter/oil spray system for his exhaust... He really hates tail-gaters!
A couple large cansiters of bear repellant pepper spray in the trunk with a remote trigger would be fun too!!
Old 02-21-2013, 11:36   #12
vart

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullClip View Post
A couple large cansiters of bear repellant pepper spray in the trunk with a remote trigger would be fun too!!
I have sprayed some OC out the side window to deal with a road rager on my tail and it works especially well...

Old 02-21-2013, 13:54   #13
SC Tiger
Shaved Ape

Quote:
I have a friend who has driven Vettes for most of his life...and he drives with headlights on all the time. (not sure why I mentioned the Vettes...just think it's a cool obsession for an engineer/lawyer...).

He also has installed a switch that allows him to turn on his brake lights independent of the brake pedal...a "back off" signal to tail-gaters.

If he gets that working I might be interested in buying one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keoking View Post
If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.
SC Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 13:58   #14
Hummerbike

I don't think people are necessarily getting dumber. They were probably just texting and didn't notice the fog.
Hummerbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 16:21   #15
Never Nervous

Quote:

Had a friend who rigged a windshield washer container for his rear window. He filled it with dishwashing liquid and whenever a tailgate got too close, he would wash his rear window. Ever see a car that was washed with soap and not rinsed properly?

NN
Old 02-21-2013, 13:03   #16
larry_minn
Silver Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by vart View Post

Driving to work this morning, there is a heavy fog with about 300' of visibility for about 15 miles of my trip.

Back where I grew up in Idaho, whenever there was the occasional winter/spring fog in the morning, people turned on their headlights.

Duh; that's common sense. Occasionally you would see a single car go by without headlights on and you would flash the person to turn their lights on.

Really?! Now, does that mean that people are dumber than they were 15 years ago when I drove in fog in Idaho, or are people in Arizona dumber than people in Idaho?
Folks think the auto headlights will always turn on when needed. As said they don't. IMO if you are going to have daytime running lights you should have daytime tail-lights. With LED lights why not?
Course they likly realize they would forget to turn them off...
larry_minn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 13:42   #17
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

Safety laws in Minnesota for Vehicles:

Headlights

Headlights must be used:
  • Between sunset and sunrise
  • When visibility dims to 500 feet or less
  • When windshield wipers are used in rain, snow, hail, sleet or fog

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 13:58   #18
flyover

They are just as bad as the idiots that won't dim their brights to on coming cars at night.
flyover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 14:05   #19
LEOson

Quote:

I can one up you this afternoon. Was on my way to work around 1. Driving on a four lane divided road with a speed limit of 45 when some ******* comes flying by doing about 50. Keep in mind there's a good three inches of snow on the road and in skidding around doing about 25. Watched the guy spin out and stop in the ditch. I laughed and kept driving. Am I an *******? Possibly. But he deserved it.

Last edited by LEOson; 02-21-2013 at 14:05..
LEOson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 14:05   #20
Green Teabagger

i got superbright LED's in my daytime running lights so im good to go.. no need to turn on Headlights

Old 02-21-2013, 19:50   #21
jdeere_man
CLM Number 26
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Teabagger View Post
i got superbright LED's in my daytime running lights so im good to go.. no need to turn on Headlights

jdeere_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:43   #22
TX OMFS
Right wing nut

In San Antonio everybody tries to out yield one another. 4 way stops are hell with everyone waving someone else on. I wish there was a law about right of way at a four way stop so it wasn't so confusing...

Highway ramps are also great. Not uncommon to see somebody on the freeway nearly stop to let someone on.

Stay off my grass!
Old 02-21-2013, 14:51   #23
G29Reload
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Last Nov we found that slightly more than half the country is drooling, easily led idiots.
Old 02-21-2013, 15:00   #24
JudgeRoyBean
NRA Life Member

People are just stupider now days and also a lot less courteous.
Old 02-21-2013, 19:14   #25
Paul53
Geezer Boomer

BUT (there's always a but) In a real white out headlights will reflect back and blind you. "Parking" or running light without headlights, and SLOW DOWN works better.

For tailgaters, I just wash my windshield. Enough spray goes over the top to make the other guy have to use his wipers. They usually back off. If it's already raining out, turning off my wipers doesn't help. Still need to work on that part.

Last edited by Paul53; 02-21-2013 at 19:27..
Paul53 is offline   Reply With Quote