GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-10-2013, 11:03   #1
cfr

Does .40 cause flinching more than other calibers?

My Glock 22 was my first semi auto. I couldnt shoot it well for a long time, until I did the Snap Cap drill and realized I was flinching. Was able to overcome it with time.

Then I got more into shooting my PPQ 9MM and a Glock 26. I've always been able to shoot them pretty decent, life was good for about a year.

Then came the current ammo shortage. I found some .40, and naturally gravitated back to my 22. I went out both a few weeks ago and yesterday, and couldnt hit anything. I realized my flinch was now back with a vengance.

I dry fire, shoot a .22 caliber, and use Snaps Caps when needed. So I understand how to move past this issue. My problem here is I've already worked through this issue, then it came back.

So I need to ask: Does the .40 cause more flinching than other calibers? I'm looking to "blame" the caliber simply because I dont see anything else that would have changed. To be clear though, I know that I'm the problem, NOT the caliber.

It should be noted that due to finances and my life style, I can really only go shooting about once every three weeks, and shoot approximately 200 rounds. This isn't about to change anytime soon.

It should also be noted that Ive never conciously minded the "snappiness" of the .40, and have never considered myself a recoil sensistive person. However, if I need to go back up this learning curve every time I go back to the .40, thats a problem.

Thanks!
cfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:15   #2
GlockinNJ

I bring a G22 and my 9mm CZ to the range with me about once a week. I know exactly what you are talking about.

I think the snapiness of the .40 may cause more flinching than other calibers and requires a bit more discipline to overcome and shoot well. As you mention, snap caps at the range are great for that. But, if you don't fire the .40 frequently enough, I think you can lose that level of focus required to shoot it well.
GlockinNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:15   #3
Bill Keith

I don't like the 40 S&W round because of the 'snappy' recoil. I learned shooting on 22's, will always shoot 22's and then next shot shotguns. 12,16, and 20 gauge. My favorite is the 20gauge. First centerfire handgun was 357 then 45ACP. Got used to both, don't mind the 45ACP in a Colt Commander as well as my G36. Shoot way more 38 special than 357, as my favorite revolver is the S&W model 10
I did have a 40 S&W Sigma. Got rid of it. Didn't like the gun or the 'snappy' recoil. To each his own.
Bill Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 14:20   #4
Glockaround the Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keith View Post
I don't like the 40 S&W round because of the 'snappy' recoil. I learned shooting on 22's, will always shoot 22's and then next shot shotguns. 12,16, and 20 gauge. My favorite is the 20gauge. First centerfire handgun was 357 then 45ACP. Got used to both, don't mind the 45ACP in a Colt Commander as well as my G36. Shoot way more 38 special than 357, as my favorite revolver is the S&W model 10
I did have a 40 S&W Sigma. Got rid of it. Didn't like the gun or the 'snappy' recoil. To each his own.
I agree tried the 40 but I would rather shoot the 9mm or go to a 45. The 20 guage is my favorite shotgun. My son laughs at me because I would rather shoot a model 10 than any other pistol.

Last edited by Glockaround the Clock; 02-11-2013 at 14:09..
Glockaround the Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:16   #5
illrooster132

Yes it does
Old 02-10-2013, 11:18   #6
Travclem
Lifetime Membership
Badass Member

IMO the caliber doesn't cause the flinch.
Old 02-10-2013, 17:02   #7
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travclem View Post

How would ANY caliber cause flinch?

I have seen many shooters "flinch" when pulling the trigger on a empty chamber.

Last edited by Glockdude1; 02-10-2013 at 17:02..
Glockdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:47   #8
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travclem View Post
I agree. Flinch is a shooter issue and has nothing to do with the gun. To get rid of it requires practice and a bit of not being a wuss.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:15   #9
G29SFWTF

I think flinching comes at least in part by lack of confidence in the connection between your hand and the gun. An aggressive grip texture will make you confident that you will not lose control of the gun during recoil, and give you the luxury of a firm grip without being a death grip. And you'll be less likely to involuntarily anticipate the recoil, or flinch.

Here is my G29 with 60 grit silicon carbide. I can shoot the hottest 10mm Underwood rounds and it does jump pretty good, but I just make sure my stance is solid and it comes right back down on target after each shot.

General Firearms Forum

Last edited by G29SFWTF; 02-19-2013 at 07:17..
G29SFWTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:12   #10
cfr

So I went out a couple days ago after spending as much on .22 ammo as folks typically do on gold.

100 rounds through my G26 AA conversion. Then another 100 rounds of 9MM with snap caps mixed in. My flinch wasn't completely eliminated, but not nearly as bad (like 95% improved probably).

I didn't shoot any .40 simply due to current economic/ ammo conditions, but I suspect the outcome would have been similar.
cfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:20   #11
WayneJessie

Shoot what you shoot the best. Everyone is different. If I were you, after the current "crisis"; I would swap the .40 for another 9MM of your choice and stock up on ammo once the craze is over.It sounds like time constraints and other things limit you to the time you can put into practice so I would use that time to develop your skills as best you can and it sounds like that would be pulling the trigger on a 9MM.
WayneJessie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:22   #12
jeager

greater torque ina 40
try lighter bulletts
fav is 165
look for fed border patrol 135s
jeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 13:01   #13
bac1023

I guess it depends on what you're used to.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 13:07   #14
jakebrake
cracker

compared to a 22, yes.

compared to a 44, no.

all in context. being on the back end of the gun won't hurt you. rememeber that, and the flinching seems to get much less noticable. (no...that's not an insult. it's kind of a psychological thing)
Old 02-10-2013, 14:14   #15
K.Kiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
I guess it depends on what you're used to.
This... Growing up I was taught to shoot what we were gonna be using, unless we were just killing cans and cardboard boxes... Snap caps and very small calibers help you get familiar with trigger pull, but not so much familiar with what a service size firearm is...

My father bought me a 1911 .45 when I was in the 10th grade and I felt a little down about my new low-power pistol in regard to what we were raised on and used to...

My dad used to load a weapon for us with his back turned(or not load it), then get use to do a slow controlled fire for accuracy on a distant target... Sometimes he'd load it live 5 times in a row, then not actually load a round to see our reaction when the trigger pulled... Sometimed 5 empty rounds in a row, then a live one and everything in between... This would be done with everything from a .38 special, .44 mag, 416 rem magnum, etc... This will immune your senses...

Moral to my opinion is that it's what bac1023 stated, condition is everything... Condition a shooter to something very small or something that doesn't go bang at all, and most anything will surprise your senses after that... Nothing to do with any sort of physicallity or muscle man toughness, just what your senses are ready for and accustomed to...

Disclaimer to this is when I was growing up it was incomparably cheaper to shoot full power ammo than it is today, and I completely understand not being able to blast bombs from your gun with any sort of affordability in these times...
K.Kiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 13:19   #16
vafish

Greater recoil in a gun, greater chance of inducing a flinch.

.40 has more recoil than 9mm, so yes it does have a greater ability to induce flinching. It varies greatly with the shooter and their experience. A lot of inexperienced shooters will develop a flinch from the 9mm.

posted from my stupid smart phone, please excuse any spelling mistakes.
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 14:00   #17
ipscshooter
Mostly IDPA now

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafish View Post
Greater recoil in a gun, greater chance of inducing a flinch.

.40 has more recoil than 9mm, so yes it does have a greater ability to induce flinching. It varies greatly with the shooter and their experience. A lot of inexperienced shooters will develop a flinch from the 9mm.
This is good analysis.

I have both a Glock 22 and an STI 2011 with full length slide and frame. The Glock weighs 24 oz. empty, the STI 42 oz. Big difference in felt recoil with 180+PF loads.

Having said that you are right that shooting the G22 more would help you get over flinch. Alternatively, you have to somehow convince yourself the recoil in the G22 is no big deal.
NRA Life,USPSA Life,IDPA Member
ipscshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 13:23   #18
Bill Lumberg
BTF Inventor

No. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfr View Post
My Glock 22 was my first semi auto. I couldnt shoot it well for a long time, until I did the Snap Cap drill and realized I was flinching. Was able to overcome it with time.

Then I got more into shooting my PPQ 9MM and a Glock 26. I've always been able to shoot them pretty decent, life was good for about a year.

Then came the current ammo shortage. I found some .40, and naturally gravitated back to my 22. I went out both a few weeks ago and yesterday, and couldnt hit anything. I realized my flinch was now back with a vengance.

I dry fire, shoot a .22 caliber, and use Snaps Caps when needed. So I understand how to move past this issue. My problem here is I've already worked through this issue, then it came back.

So I need to ask: Does the .40 cause more flinching than other calibers? I'm looking to "blame" the caliber simply because I dont see anything else that would have changed. To be clear though, I know that I'm the problem, NOT the caliber.

It should be noted that due to finances and my life style, I can really only go shooting about once every three weeks, and shoot approximately 200 rounds. This isn't about to change anytime soon.

It should also be noted that Ive never conciously minded the "snappiness" of the .40, and have never considered myself a recoil sensistive person. However, if I need to go back up this learning curve every time I go back to the .40, thats a problem.

Thanks!
Old 02-10-2013, 14:26   #19
mr00jimbo

I think on lightweight pistols it's definitely more flinch-enducing than heavier ones. My P226 all-stainess pistol in .40 S&W actually recoils considerably less shooting 180 GR Lawmen than my old Sig folded-slide 9 millimeter did.
Old 02-10-2013, 14:27   #20
RJ's Guns

What a bunch of wimps. Get real. Some of you are acting like the 40 S&W is going to rip your hand and arm off each time you shoot it.

In a Glock 22 frame, using the empty weight of 1.43 lb (0.65kg), the following was obtained:

9 mm Luger: Recoil Impulse of 0.78 ms; Recoil Velocity of 17.55 ft/s (5.3 m/s); Recoil Energy of 6.84 ft·lbf (9.3 J)

.357 SIG: Recoil Impulse of 1.06 ms; Recoil velocity of 23.78 ft/s (7.2 m/s); Recoil Energy of 12.56 ft·lbf (17.0 J)

.40 S&W: Recoil impulse of 0.88 ms; Recoil velocity of 19.73 ft/s (6.0 m/s); Recoil Energy of 8.64 ft·lbf (11.7 J)

In a Smith and Wesson .44 Magnum with 7.5-inch barrel, with an empty weight of 3.125 lb (1.417 kg), the following was obtained: .

44 Remington Magnum: Recoil impulse of 1.91 ms; Recoil velocity of 19.69 ft/s (6.0 m/s); Recoil Energy of 18.81 ft·lbf (25.5 J)

In a Smith and Wesson 460 7.5-inch barrel, with an empty weight of 3.5 lb (1.6 kg), the following was obtained:

.460 S&W Magnum: Recoil Impulse of 3.14 ms; Recoil Velocity of 28.91 ft/s (8.8 m/s); Recoil Energy of 45.43 ft·lbf (61.6 J)

In a Smith and Wesson 500 4.5-inch barrel, with an empty weight of 3.5 lb (1.6 kg), the following was obtained:

.500 S&W Magnum: Recoil Impulse of 3.76 ms; Recoil Velocity of 34.63 ft/s (10.6 m/s); Recoil Energy of 65.17 ft·lbf (88.4 J)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recoil

Learn proper technique and quit letting yourselves be influenced by internet forum BS and spin, generated by people, on the most part, that do not know their anus from a hole in the ground and man up.

I prefer 40 S&W in small carry guns, and I shoot them and survive to tell the tale.

RJ

Last edited by RJ's Guns; 02-10-2013 at 19:20..
RJ's Guns is offline   Reply With Quote