SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-06-2013, 21:39   #1
halfmoonclip

Using magnum primers in non-magnum loads

The title says most of it.
A buddy is trying to get back in reloading after a ten year hiatus, and tried to buy some primers in the midst of all the current craziness.
All he could find in Large Pistol primers were Magnums.
He wants to use these primers primarily for .45 ACP reloads, especially with Bullseye or W231.
Soooo, how much of a problem does this actually create? I recall reading that magnum primers have a longer/hotter burn to ignite larger powder charges.
Should he adjust his loads because of these primers, or is case density still important (especially with the issue of 'detonation', which may or may not exist).
What says the group?
Thanks,
Moon
halfmoonclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 23:51   #2
Taterhead
Counting Beans

They should be fine. The usual practices apply: begin at starting charges, or a tenth or two less, and work up carefully until you find what the gun likes.
Old 02-07-2013, 00:43   #3
judgecrater

I have been substituting mag for regular in 45ACP. No problems. I called Federal to get their opinion. They said no problem regarding pressure, just that the cups are a little harder and may cause light strikes in some guns.
If they work in your gun, you are good to go.
judgecrater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:02   #4
AF-Odin

Haven't tried them in .45, but during the last crazyness, had the same issue with SPP that I could only get in "magnum." Worked well in .38 and 9mm. Like others said, new components, back off a bit and work up. End result was that when I got back to normal powder charges with the magnum primers, I did not notice any difference between regular and magnum SPP.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:14   #5
Three-Five-Seven
Señor Mombo

Actually, with old fashioned powders like Bullseye, the magnum primer may prove to provide better, and more consistent performance in the Winter time.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:50   #6
halfmoonclip

Thanks, guys. Seems to reinforce what a local shooter told me, but it's good to hear that it's not an issue.
They may be CCI primers, which have uncommonly hard battery cups to begin with (I could get an N-frame to misfire with a full strength mainspring by pointing it straight up and firing), so I hope that isn't an issue. Hate when the gummint starts these balls rolling, and then everyone panics.
Moon
halfmoonclip is offline   Reply With Quote