GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 22:24   #1
TSAX
USAF Vet
 
TSAX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 10,123
Blog Entries: 2
CA vs Texas - The Throw-down

The news story and ad are in the link

"A radio ad designed to convince California companies to move to Texas has sparked a throw-down between the governors of the two states."

http://www.sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com...sinesses-away/






__________________
IAVA (Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America) Member
http://iava.org/
GSSF Member http://gssfonline.com/
NRA Member http://home.nra.org/#/nraorg

Last edited by TSAX; 02-05-2013 at 13:51..
TSAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 22:28   #2
Trapped_in_Kali
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Los Angeles, Northern Mexico
Posts: 1,040
Quote:
The governor says everyone “with half a brain” is coming to California...
Yep companies with half a brain are coming to Kali!

Companies with more than 1/2 a brain have been leaving for 30 years!
Trapped_in_Kali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 23:46   #3
G26S239
NRA Patron
 
G26S239's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: PRK
Posts: 9,708
Yeah the dialectical materialist scum that are regulating the hell out of this state are too Dim to see any connection between their policies and businesses leaving the state. Texas, Pennsylvania and a few other states have ads actively recruiting CA businesses.
__________________
Glock 17, 19, 21, 26 X 2, 32 and 36.
Proud member of the PigPen. Embrace the Pignose.
G26S239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 23:57   #4
devildog2067
Senior Member
 
devildog2067's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Near Chicago, IL
Posts: 15,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapped_in_Kali View Post
Companies with more than 1/2 a brain have been leaving for 30 years!
Like... Google and Apple and Facebook? The revenues of the three companies added together are greater than the GDP of New Zealand.

Intel? HP? There's another hundred-odd billion.

Then of course there's companies like Chevron (~$250B, bigger than the economy of Ireland or Israel) which, as some may remember, bought Texaco but decided to dump the Texaco name and remain headquartered in CA, not TX.

Texas is a great state--my wife's family is from there, and I love to visit--but denying that California is home to some of the world's biggest companies is just ignorant.
devildog2067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:40   #5
G26S239
NRA Patron
 
G26S239's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: PRK
Posts: 9,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog2067 View Post
Like... Google and Apple and Facebook? The revenues of the three companies added together are greater than the GDP of New Zealand.

Intel? HP? There's another hundred-odd billion.

Then of course there's companies like Chevron (~$250B, bigger than the economy of Ireland or Israel) which, as some may remember, bought Texaco but decided to dump the Texaco name and remain headquartered in CA, not TX.

Texas is a great state--my wife's family is from there, and I love to visit--but denying that California is home to some of the world's biggest companies is just ignorant.
Denying that California policies are not business friendly would be ignorant as well. http://fellowshipofminds.wordpress.c...ff-the-lights/
__________________
Glock 17, 19, 21, 26 X 2, 32 and 36.
Proud member of the PigPen. Embrace the Pignose.

Last edited by G26S239; 02-05-2013 at 01:50..
G26S239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:06   #6
devildog2067
Senior Member
 
devildog2067's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Near Chicago, IL
Posts: 15,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by G26S239 View Post
Denying that California policies are not business friendly would be ignorant as well.
Despite the high taxes and stifling regulations, California is home to companies which are larger than the entire economies of most states. Apple alone is bigger than the entire economy of Arkansas. HP is bigger than Utah. These are mathematical facts.
devildog2067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:26   #7
.264 magnum
CLM Number 121
Charter Lifetime Member
 
.264 magnum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Dallas TX
Posts: 16,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog2067 View Post
Despite the high taxes and stifling regulations, California is home to companies which are larger than the entire economies of most states. Apple alone is bigger than the entire economy of Arkansas. HP is bigger than Utah. These are mathematical facts.
I think you are, obliquely, hitting on the key point how Calif is hurting itself. A very large co's. aggregate tax load is not defined by where it's HQ is located. It's small and medium sized Cali. companies that are being crucified. People of means and many companies really are leaving Cali.

Cali and NY really hammered Texas during the oil and S&L busts of the '80s. I feel ZERO remorse for Texas hammering both places now.

It's not all gold dust and lollypops in Texas tho. A good number of economic refugees from Ohio, Illinois, Cali, NY, FL and others arrive in Texas with no skills or very low skills - in the long run that's going to hurt our state.
__________________
The Gonzales Flag - "Come and Take It!"
.264 magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:12   #8
Glock20 10mm
Use Linux!
 
Glock20 10mm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Land of Idiots and Libtards
Posts: 14,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog2067 View Post
Despite the high taxes and stifling regulations, California is home to companies which are larger than the entire economies of most states. Apple alone is bigger than the entire economy of Arkansas. HP is bigger than Utah. These are mathematical facts.
And it's a matter of time before they decide they have had enough of the BS and pack bags and leave too. Bethlehem Steel was once one of the most profitable steel manufactures in the United States... we still need steel, where is Bethlehem now?
__________________
Using Microsoft is like playing Russian roulette with an automatic pistol... the results are always messy
"The Constitution is my Law. The Declaration of Independence my bible. And Freedom my religion." - Me
Thick skin... a must in a free society.
Glock20 10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 19:04   #9
Andy123
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: NC and GA
Posts: 2,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog2067 View Post
Despite the high taxes and stifling regulations, California is home to companies which are larger than the entire economies of most states. Apple alone is bigger than the entire economy of Arkansas. HP is bigger than Utah. These are mathematical facts.
While true, it is interesting to note that CA has built all a sizable portion of its electrical infrastructure in NV, which make them quite vulnerable.
__________________
I can only hope, that in the end, the good outweighs the bad.

"At the end of the game, the king and the pawn are put in the same box."

"The camel dances, and having danced, moves on."
Andy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 19:27   #10
Zombie Surgeon
MODELATOR
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog2067 View Post
Despite the high taxes and stifling regulations, California is home to companies which are larger than the entire economies of most states. Apple alone is bigger than the entire economy of Arkansas. HP is bigger than Utah. These are mathematical facts.
Let me try to explain to you what the reality is: big companies like Chevron, HP and Google and the rest of the Silicon Valley taken together are but a fraction of CA economy. The same truth stands for any state in the Union: big companies economic output is dwarfed by the myriads of small companies nobody heard about.

The economic engine that moves America are small to medium companies like these. Hundred of thousands of them. They employ hundreds of times more people and produce hundreds of times more products and services then the corporate giants. It is these companies who are hurt in CA and are leaving for greener pastures.

As for me I am counting the days until my wife finishes her PhD. and takes the first available job offer from any University from TX, NM, AZ or UT. I will close my business in L.A. and I will never set foot in this bloody communist cesspool again.
Fyou California and Fyou Jerry Brown

Last edited by Zombie Surgeon; 02-05-2013 at 19:35..
Zombie Surgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 19:59   #11
G26S239
NRA Patron
 
G26S239's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: PRK
Posts: 9,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog2067 View Post
Despite the high taxes and stifling regulations, California is home to companies which are larger than the entire economies of most states. Apple alone is bigger than the entire economy of Arkansas. HP is bigger than Utah. These are mathematical facts.
Chevron getting pissed off because major improvements to the Richmond refinery were stopped by court order from local do gooders supported by City, County and State Assembly politicians is a fact.
They have since cut production at the Richmond refinery, encouraged early retirements and moved a lot of jobs from Richmond and San Ramon to other states.

Meanwhile across the bay Valero wants to sell the Benicia refinery because they are unable to get permitted to build the Hydrogen unit they want as well as a new Admin building and there are new pollution laws slated to go in effect in 2020 that state lawmakers refuse to set back until unemployment gets at or below 5.5%.

And yes DD Campbells Soup did move entirely out of CA.


As far as moving to any other state goes I won't be asking anyone's permission to do so when I am ready.
It won't be Oregon because the biggest out of state ****** bags I have met on jobs here in PRK have been from that smug better than thou state. I have invited a couple of such cretins to go back to their effing paradise that can't seem to keep them employed. I have 1st cousins who are the smug sub species of Oregonian and they can all piss up a rope as far as I am concerned.

In spite of the rudeness of a lot of Texans on this forum the ones that I have worked with on projects here in PRK have usually been very nice and easy to work with. Almost like their parents had taught them not to visit other people and piss on the carpet.
__________________
Glock 17, 19, 21, 26 X 2, 32 and 36.
Proud member of the PigPen. Embrace the Pignose.

Last edited by G26S239; 02-05-2013 at 21:22.. Reason: deleted incorrect not.
G26S239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 19:25   #12
Bren
NRA Life Member
 
Bren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 33,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog2067 View Post
Like... Google and Apple and Facebook? The revenues of the three companies added together are greater than the GDP of New Zealand.

Intel? HP? There's another hundred-odd billion.
When did those companies move from another state, to California? I assume they did, because your comment would be irrelevant to the topic, if they started there.

Pretty sure facebook is the only one that moved to CA
__________________
If you are not an NRA member, you are not involved in gun rights, so sit down and shut the +%@# up.

Last edited by Bren; 02-05-2013 at 19:27..
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 00:08   #13
CAcop
Senior Member
 
CAcop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: California
Posts: 21,242
I used to live in the middle of the Silicon Valley and tech ran through everything. Just like how West LA/Hollywood is run by the entertainment industry.

Now the rest of the state needs to worry about companies leaving for TX but that is for completely different reasons than what people outside of CA think.
__________________
I wonder if your assessment of "The Wizard of Oz" would sound something like "A teenaged orphan runs away with three psychotic AD/HD patients and a little dog. She kills the first two women she meets." --Sinecure 07/03/2006
Freakin' awsome!! Kickin it old school. Hot sheet on the dash. The report was probably only two sentences. Long live Rencko and Bobbie Hill!--WhiskeyT
CAcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:14   #14
SC Tiger
Shaved Ape
 
SC Tiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 6,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAcop View Post
I used to live in the middle of the Silicon Valley and tech ran through everything. Just like how West LA/Hollywood is run by the entertainment industry.

Now the rest of the state needs to worry about companies leaving for TX but that is for completely different reasons than what people outside of CA think.
It's the same reason that most gun makers are located in and around New England - that is where the talent base is and where the supplier base is.

Some tech companies have relocated to - get this - North Dakota! They call the area "Silicone Prarie" and it has attracted quite a few companies. I don't think any of the big ones have moved yet though.

Google, Intel and other companies may not leave California, and may have high net worths, but how many jobs can they support? Unless California goes full socialist these companies cannot support the entire state.
__________________
Hug your barking irons as the Devil hugs a witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keoking View Post
If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.
SC Tiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 13:44   #15
CAcop
Senior Member
 
CAcop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: California
Posts: 21,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Tiger View Post
It's the same reason that most gun makers are located in and around New England - that is where the talent base is and where the supplier base is.

Some tech companies have relocated to - get this - North Dakota! They call the area "Silicone Prarie" and it has attracted quite a few companies. I don't think any of the big ones have moved yet though.

Google, Intel and other companies may not leave California, and may have high net worths, but how many jobs can they support? Unless California goes full socialist these companies cannot support the entire state.
CA's population growth is slowing now. I think it is because the "good" jobs are not growing as much as they used to. The lower paying jobs are pretty much topping off too. How many ag and service workers do you need to add as the state slows down in growth?

As far as the big boys go they aren't going to leave anytime soon. There are 10,000 Applied Materials employees in Santa Clara alone. Forget Milpitas, Sunnyvale, San Mateo, etc.

Like .264 mag said it is the small to mid size companies that have the most incentive to leave. They are most likely to leave with expansion, then HQ leaving.

The big boys are less likely to leave because they can afford it and they want that "Silicon Valley" address on their products or services. The cities around here fight over who truly is "The Capital of the Silicon Valley." It really is the region, mostly in Santa Clara county with San Mateo and Alameda counties getting a little piece of the action.

the Silicon Valley is also closest to Asia. With three international airports all within an hours drive of each other and right on the West Coast there is no way TX can compete with that. Sure the big guys can add on a few extra hours of the flight but all of the drones doing the work are going to add on connecting flights which costs time and money.

The real problem is east vs. west in CA. West is very urban and either tech or entertainment driven. East is ag based. Very different folks and very different ways of life.
__________________
I wonder if your assessment of "The Wizard of Oz" would sound something like "A teenaged orphan runs away with three psychotic AD/HD patients and a little dog. She kills the first two women she meets." --Sinecure 07/03/2006
Freakin' awsome!! Kickin it old school. Hot sheet on the dash. The report was probably only two sentences. Long live Rencko and Bobbie Hill!--WhiskeyT
CAcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 13:53   #16
Cavalry Doc
Silver Membership
MAJ (USA Ret.)
 
Cavalry Doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 41,256


Quote:
Originally Posted by CAcop View Post
CA's population growth is slowing now. I think it is because the "good" jobs are not growing as much as they used to. The lower paying jobs are pretty much topping off too. How many ag and service workers do you need to add as the state slows down in growth?

As far as the big boys go they aren't going to leave anytime soon. There are 10,000 Applied Materials employees in Santa Clara alone. Forget Milpitas, Sunnyvale, San Mateo, etc.

Like .264 mag said it is the small to mid size companies that have the most incentive to leave. They are most likely to leave with expansion, then HQ leaving.

The big boys are less likely to leave because they can afford it and they want that "Silicon Valley" address on their products or services. The cities around here fight over who truly is "The Capital of the Silicon Valley." It really is the region, mostly in Santa Clara county with San Mateo and Alameda counties getting a little piece of the action.

the Silicon Valley is also closest to Asia. With three international airports all within an hours drive of each other and right on the West Coast there is no way TX can compete with that. Sure the big guys can add on a few extra hours of the flight but all of the drones doing the work are going to add on connecting flights which costs time and money.

The real problem is east vs. west in CA. West is very urban and either tech or entertainment driven. East is ag based. Very different folks and very different ways of life.
Right, and just how hard will it be to add non-stop to DFW and AUS if there is a demand. The airline industry is flexible enough to accommodate demand, it does not dictate demand.

The peoples republic of Kalifornia was once the mecca for young people wanting to make something of themselves, that time has passed. Look around the world. Many former desirable locations have become cesspools. Kalifornia is America's Greece.
Cavalry Doc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 14:08   #17
.264 magnum
CLM Number 121
Charter Lifetime Member
 
.264 magnum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Dallas TX
Posts: 16,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry Doc View Post
Right, and just how hard will it be to add non-stop to DFW and AUS if there is a demand. The airline industry is flexible enough to accommodate demand, it does not dictate demand.

The peoples republic of Kalifornia was once the mecca for young people wanting to make something of themselves, that time has passed. Look around the world. Many former desirable locations have become cesspools. Kalifornia is America's Greece.
IIRC there is a non-skid to and from DFW to Sydney now. I like Cali more than many wine country, SF and SD are regular stops for us. That said they need to pull their collective act together of Cali. will continue to decline.
__________________
The Gonzales Flag - "Come and Take It!"
.264 magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 18:21   #18
ChiTownPicaro
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Tiger View Post
It's the same reason that most gun makers are located in and around New England - that is where the talent base is and where the supplier base is.

Some tech companies have relocated to - get this - North Dakota! They call the area "Silicone Prarie" and it has attracted quite a few companies. I don't think any of the big ones have moved yet though.

Google, Intel and other companies may not leave California, and may have high net worths, but how many jobs can they support? Unless California goes full socialist these companies cannot support the entire state.
So you are saying that states like Utah, Texas, and other rural states lack sufficient talent? It would make sense as cities and urban areas are the major tech centers and users as well as innovators.
ChiTownPicaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 18:35   #19
Kingarthurhk
Isaiah 53:4-9
 
Kingarthurhk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 7,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownPicaro View Post
So you are saying that states like Utah, Texas, and other rural states lack sufficient talent? It would make sense as cities and urban areas are the major tech centers and users as well as innovators.
Don't feel bad. The folks over where you are from in Chicago have things to offer too. One of the highest murder, crime rates in the nation. One of the most corrupt political machines in the nation. But, hey, were good over here. No need to export the goods of Crook County.
__________________
Glock 17, 19, 20SF, 21C, 22, 26, 27, Glock E-Tool, Glock knife
Quod ego haereticus appellari sequere Jesum.
Kingarthurhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:13   #20
ChiTownPicaro
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingarthurhk View Post
Don't feel bad. The folks over where you are from in Chicago have things to offer too. One of the highest murder, crime rates in the nation. One of the most corrupt political machines in the nation. But, hey, were good over here. No need to export the goods of Crook County.
Huh? Yes we do have a lot of corruption in our politics. But we also have more to offer then Texas in regards to industry, trade, and economic standing. Chicago is a city of the first class and a major economic city. I do believe it is also considered an Alpha city which means it is significant. We also have some of the best schools in the nation, best museums, best food, large industrial companies such as Boeing, an international airport that used to be the busiest in the nation (I believe Atlanta is now), and we still have a lot of trade due to the Mississippi River and Lake Michigan.

Either way, if all you see is crime rates, then surely we can look at the fact that Texas is pretty filled rampant and takes more in Federal dollars than they give meaning they are essentially welfare recipients. But either way, major cities are better for business and trade. You notice that Wall Street hasn't moved to Paducah Kentucky or some other small town?
ChiTownPicaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:17   #21
JohnnyReb
Lifetime Membership
Senior Member
 
JohnnyReb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: FEMA REGION III
Posts: 5,125
http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/2130362189001/

Recent episode of Stossel on this.
__________________
Confederate General Albert Pike: The struggle against oppressive authority is universal and eternal.
JohnnyReb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:06   #22
LSUAdman
Pew Pew
 
LSUAdman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,761
Not to contradict DD, but Google (Dallas), HP (Houston) and Toshiba (Houston) have rather sizable presences here in Texas. Also, Microsoft has a large enclave just a few miles from my house - and if they purchase Dell, which was in the news today, that'll give them a large presence outside of Austin.

Not sure how many large Texas companies have presences in or are buying companies based in California. Not saying they don't exist, just that I dont know of any.
__________________
~ Adman
WARNING: This post contains contents known to the state of California to cause high blood pressure, asinine comments and foot in mouth disease in liberal posters. Nanny state discretion is advised.
LSUAdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:27   #23
Sharkey
Senior Member
 
Sharkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 3,577
Personally, I don't want anyone from CA or NY of NJ or any other blue state to come here. Stay away. We have enuff companies here. You can keep Apple. Heck you need to take your people home that reside in Austin, Dallas, SA, and Houston.
__________________
Our perception of God determines our communication with Him.
Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:08   #24
WayneJessie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkey View Post
Personally, I don't want anyone from CA or NY of NJ or any other blue state to come here. Stay away. We have enuff companies here. You can keep Apple. Heck you need to take your people home that reside in Austin, Dallas, SA, and Houston.
They'll come a time when Texas will wish they never got anything from Ca. The Southern states of NC,SC,Ga. experienced a boom in the 80s of businesses flocking to the I-85 corridor. Everyone thought it was great for a while until the conservative culture many held dear was washed away by people flocking in from all over the world to get the jobs. I'm a life-long resident of NC&SC and I would take the "old South" anyday over the mess of pottage we have now.
WayneJessie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 19:27   #25
skeeter1959
Senior Member
 
skeeter1959's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 2,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkey View Post
Personally, I don't want anyone from CA or NY of NJ or any other blue state to come here. Stay away. We have enuff companies here. You can keep Apple. Heck you need to take your people home that reside in Austin, Dallas, SA, and Houston.
Agreed. We are overrun by illegal mexicans, kalies and new yawkers would add to our problems. Teaxas is closed!
skeeter1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 20:39.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,558
481 Members
1,077 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42