Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 05:18   #1
umadcuzimstylin

Shouldnt anti-gunners be called traitors?

I can understand accidentally going against the Constitution but intentionally going against the Constitution makes you a traitor.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:21   #2
SIG-SOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by umadcuzimstylin View Post
I can understand accidentally going against the Constitution but intentionally going against the Constitution makes you a traitor.
And a POS.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:29   #3
Blast
'nuff said

Liberals misinterpret the Constitution to fit their agendas.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:00   #4
devildog2067

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast View Post
Be honest, conservatives do too.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:27   #5
Wolfdad

The philosophy of conservatism emphasizes liberty. The philosophy of liberalisim emphasizes control.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:37   #6
IhRedrider
Not a walker

Well, to stand against the Constitution only makes your action illegal thus you are a criminal. To be found a traitor, the US would have to be at war. Oh wait, we do have the war on terrorism, the war on poverty, the war on drugs........ I wonder how much a good set of gallows cost.
Old 02-04-2013, 14:31   #7
N4LP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfdad View Post
The philosophy of conservatism emphasizes liberty. The philosophy of liberalisim emphasizes control.

You're funny.

The philosophy of conservatism emphasizes liberty when it's convenient to the agenda of conservatism, just as the philosophy of liberalism emphasizes liberty when it's convenient to the agenda of liberalism. It's just different sides of the same coin.
Old 02-06-2013, 23:07   #8
Blast
'nuff said

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog2067 View Post
Be honest, conservatives do too.
True, but they interpret it more closely to the Founders intent.
Old 02-06-2013, 23:16   #9
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
True, but they interpret it more closely to the Founders intent.
How closely did the founders intend?

If it was a mere suggestion....a guideline or living breathing document, why all the handwringing debate over every phrase?
Old 02-04-2013, 06:18   #10
umadcuzimstylin

Quote:
Sophists gonna sophist.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:26   #11
Bren
NRA Life Member

I agree, but so far the Supreme Court has only found that the constitution gives you a right to own some kind of gun - not specifically anything they are trying to ban right now. Everything else is just our opinion.

Not to mention, we all oppose somebody's constitutional rights on some issue, whether it's the Westboro Baptists Church, the KKK, the Brady Campaign, Occupy ______, or the democrat party.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:27   #12
umadcuzimstylin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
I agree, but so far the Supreme Court has only found that the constitution gives you a right to own some kind of gun - not specifically anything they are trying to ban right now. Everything else is just our opinion.

Not to mention, we all oppose somebody's constitutional rights on some issue, whether it's the Westboro Baptists Church, the KKK, the Brady Campaign, Occupy ______, or the democrat party.
Thats insane! It doesnt say in the 2nd amendment that you have the right to bear arms at the governments discretion.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:17   #13
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Thats insane! It doesnt say in the 2nd amendment that you have the right to bear arms at the governments discretion.
It also doesn't say which arms you have a right to bear or how many or how big the magazine can be or when and where you can bear them. That is all left to court interpretation. Every right in the bill of rights is subject to government discretion - each one has a library full of law defining what the government can and cannot do, except for the 2nd Amendment, which doesn't have enough law to fill a smll notebook.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:21   #14
kensb2
pistol n00b

Quote:
It also doesn't say which arms you have a right to bear or how many or how big the magazine can be or when and where you can bear them. That is all left to court interpretation. Every right in the bill of rights is subject to government discretion - each one has a library full of law defining what the government can and cannot do, except for the 2nd Amendment, which doesn't have enough law to fill a smll notebook.
I thought that the 2A provides protection from the FED .gov regarding the RKBA, and basically left it up to the individual states to decide what weapons their citizens have. This makes the most sense to me, since the citizens are supposed to have weapons to defend their state from FED .gov tyranny. Why does the SCOTUS have to make this so complicated?
Old 02-04-2013, 07:48   #15
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kensb2 View Post
I thought that the 2A provides protection from the FED .gov regarding the RKBA, and basically left it up to the individual states to decide what weapons their citizens have. This makes the most sense to me, since the citizens are supposed to have weapons to defend their state from FED .gov tyranny. Why does the SCOTUS have to make this so complicated?
No, the 2nd Amendment says you have a right, enforceable against the federal fgovernment only, to keep and bear arms. The supreme court said, recently, in McDonald, that the 14th Amendment means that the states are also not allowed to violate the 2nd Amendment. Nothing about the 2nd Amendment has ever said "this issue is reserved to the states."

The 10th amendment says "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people," but under the current interpretation of either the commerce clause or the taxing power, the feds have authority to regulate guns, expresssly delegated by the constitution.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:08   #16
SPIN2010
Searching ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kensb2 View Post
I thought that the 2A provides protection from the FED .gov regarding the RKBA, and basically left it up to the individual states to decide what weapons their citizens have. This makes the most sense to me, since the citizens are supposed to have weapons to defend their state from FED .gov tyranny.
You just have to look to NYS to see how effective that theory is. Can anyone really believe the STATE.GOV & FED.GOV are not kissing cousins? Just look to Katrina after action ... that was patriotic by all the LEO/NG/ACTIVE MIL wasn't it? GET FOR REAL!

Last edited by SPIN2010; 02-04-2013 at 08:09..
Old 02-04-2013, 07:56   #17
arclight610

Quote:
In United States v Miller in 1939, the Supreme Court ruled that the 2nd amendment only protected military style weapons commonly used in the military and militia at that time.
Old 02-04-2013, 13:11   #18
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arclight610 View Post
In United States v Miller in 1939, the Supreme Court ruled that the 2nd amendment only protected military style weapons commonly used in the military and militia at that time.
Best I recall, they actually ruled that it didn't protect Miller's sawed-off shotgun because it wasn't a military weapon - not exactly the same thing. If they had ruled as you said, we wouldn't be having the assault weapon debate today. That case has never since been held to support a right to possess military small arms, and it is almost 75 years old.

However, Miller, combined with the supreme court cases in the last 7 years, could be a strating point for invalidating an assault weapon ban. Unfortunately, that is very optimistic thinking right now and, if Obama gets to appoint 1 more supreme court justice, it has no chance at all.

Last edited by Bren; 02-04-2013 at 13:16..
Old 02-07-2013, 15:59   #19
Kirishiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by arclight610 View Post
yes, I believe they ruled against Miller, because a short barreled shotgun was not used in the military at the time.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:02   #20
umadcuzimstylin

Quote:
Exactly! It is written vague to not have restrictions not for the government to decide how they restrict you. It says you have the right to bear arms which means open carry any gun you want. It plainly says right to bear arms yet the government thinks it say right to bear arms according to your interpretation lulz.

Last edited by umadcuzimstylin; 02-04-2013 at 08:23..
Old 02-04-2013, 20:30   #21
ChiTownPicaro

Quote:
Exactly. This is why I want to be able to own an RPG, a Stinger Missle, and some ICBMs. SHouldn't I be able to own Anthrax and perhaps carry some chemical weapons around with me? The 2nd Amendment says so.
Old 02-04-2013, 20:38   #22
GAFinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownPicaro View Post
Exactly. This is why I want to be able to own an RPG, a Stinger Missle, and some ICBMs. SHouldn't I be able to own Anthrax and perhaps carry some chemical weapons around with me? The 2nd Amendment says so.
Difference between arms and heavy weaponry. Cannons were more legal back then but were subject to restrictions that arms weren't.
Old 02-04-2013, 20:53   #23
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAFinch View Post
Difference between arms and heavy weaponry. Cannons were more legal back then but were subject to restrictions that arms weren't.
Cannons were returned to communities, not individuals after the Revolution.

FWIW
Old 02-05-2013, 18:13   #24
ChiTownPicaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAFinch View Post
So what laws were cannons governed by? And arms?
Old 02-04-2013, 20:53   #25
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownPicaro View Post
Foolish assertion.

Arms common to the soldiers of the time. Yes, you should be able to own an RPG. Most certainly. Whatever is needed to sufficiently arm a militia. Do you not think that farmers had cannons in their barns?
Closed Thread