Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:52   #1
The Fed

Stores Predicted to Close

These retailers most likely close some of their stores. I think the main problem with any brick and mortar store is they cannot stock everything in their stores. Here's the problem though - they often don't have warehouses either. So when you need something that isn't a fast-mover they need to order it right from the manufacturer. It takes much too long to get it that way.

You can buy almost anything now from the dreaded Amazon, and usually get the item in a reasonable amount of time, and much cheaper. I hate to order from them since I found out they're less than 2A-friendly (but they do allow the sale of plenty of accessories) but I have no choice. I live in a rural area, and I find that many times Wal-mart, Lowes and home Depot don't have what I want or need. And many times the quality just isn't there.

And I've found their customer service is outstanding. Only Wal-mart probably has a better return policy - 90 days.

Last edited by The Fed; 02-02-2013 at 07:54..
The Fed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:59   #2
okie
GT Mayor

Did you forget the list my friend
okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:02   #3
Fox
Varmit Control

There are other online retailers. I try not to buy from Amazon if possible.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:05   #4
PaulMason

http://oconee.patch.com/articles/bes...in-2013-report

I think we are going back to the time of the general retailer - 5&10 stores - if not you better have a brand identity people think about when they want a specific product area like Home Depot.

When you factor in the cost of gas, price savings and free shipping, Amazon.com makes it difficult for others to compete in some areas. I usually wait until I need a few things and get them all at once on Amazon.
PaulMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:22   #5
RenoF250

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMason View Post
http://oconee.patch.com/articles/bes...in-2013-report

I think we are going back to the time of the general retailer - 5&10 stores - if not you better have a brand identity people think about when they want a specific product area like Home Depot.

When you factor in the cost of gas, price savings and free shipping, Amazon.com makes it difficult for others to compete in some areas. I usually wait until I need a few things and get them all at once on Amazon.
I don't know how Gamestop and Radio Shack are still open. Who goes to RadioShack anymore? Gamestop is just games you could get a bunch of other places. I think the other should fair much better because they offer convenience or sell something you do not want to order - clothes, tools etc.
RenoF250 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:32   #6
Huaco Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoF250 View Post
Who goes to RadioShack anymore?.
Cell Phone Shack?

"You've got questions? We've got cell phones!"

A piece of my youth died when they stopped selling kits.
Huaco Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:14   #7
njl

Quote:
I don't know how Gamestop and Radio Shack are still open. Who goes to RadioShack anymore? Gamestop is just games you could get a bunch of other places. I think the other should fair much better because they offer convenience or sell something you do not want to order - clothes, tools etc.
Radio Shack, I'd guess, is kept in business by older people, and if that's the case, they'll probably cease to exist in another 20 years or less.
Old 02-02-2013, 21:09   #8
Spiffums
I.C.P.

Quote:
I usually go twice a year because I need some small DIY electronic whiz bang I can't get at Wallyworld.
Old 02-03-2013, 00:24   #9
Durden

Quote:
Radio Shack, Michael's, Sears/Kmart, Macy's, Sports Authority, JC Penny's, Jiffy Lube, Barnes & Noble, Branigan's Restaurant, Logan's Roadhouse, Autozone, Pier One Imports, Joe's Crab Shack, Del Taco, Dillard's, Dick's Sporting Goods, Rite Aid (ghetto city)....I could go on and on...

....I don't know how any of these places have survived this long.

Most of them are ghost towns, with crappy service, products/food, overpriced everything, clueless employees, and many of them look run down, too.

There are so many brick & mortar stores that living on borrowed time that it's scary.
Durden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 14:13   #10
captainstormy

Send a message via ICQ to captainstormy Send a message via AIM to captainstormy Send a message via Yahoo to captainstormy
Quote:
Gamestop is still in business because they have a great business model.

Yes, you can buy a new game anywhere. But after your done with it, you can trade it in for store credit, and you can also buy used games.

Personally I rarely buy a new game. I might be 1-2 new games per year, but buy many many more used games for half the price or less.

It's also the only physical retailer of games for most people. Even here in Columbus, there are only 2-3 small mom and pop game shops left and they are bound to close soon I'm sure. In my home town in Central KY, Gamestop is the only place aside from Wal-mart you could buy anything game related.

As for Radio Shack, I don't have a clue.
Old 02-03-2013, 14:37   #11
kiole

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainstormy View Post
Gamestop is still in business because they have a great business model.

Yes, you can buy a new game anywhere. But after your done with it, you can trade it in for store credit, and you can also buy used games.

Personally I rarely buy a new game. I might be 1-2 new games per year, but buy many many more used games for half the price or less.

It's also the only physical retailer of games for most people. Even here in Columbus, there are only 2-3 small mom and pop game shops left and they are bound to close soon I'm sure. In my home town in Central KY, Gamestop is the only place aside from Wal-mart you could buy anything game related.

As for Radio Shack, I don't have a clue.
Problem with their model is developers are starting to require online game passes. This makes a used game cost an additional 10$ to enable online play. Also their in big trouble as the industry transfers to digital distribution.

Last edited by kiole; 02-03-2013 at 14:37..
kiole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 20:34   #12
captainstormy

Send a message via ICQ to captainstormy Send a message via AIM to captainstormy Send a message via Yahoo to captainstormy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylenewman View Post
Problem with their model is developers are starting to require online game passes. This makes a used game cost an additional 10$ to enable online play. Also their in big trouble as the industry transfers to digital distribution.
True, the new games I buy are games like Battlefield and borderlands that I intend to play online.

Most of the games I play though are single player games like Skyrim, Dragon age, Assiasian''s creed or mass effect (never cared for their multiplier) . There isn't any difference in new/used for those.
Old 02-03-2013, 16:18   #13
bear62

Quote:
Interesting that you mention that ......... I probably haven't been in a RadioShack in more than ten years.....
Old 02-18-2013, 11:16   #14
SC Tiger
Shaved Ape

Quote:
Radio Shack has a few things that are handy. I bought some solder and a soldering iron holder from them a couple of months ago. They fill a niche that few others do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keoking View Post
If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.
SC Tiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:40   #15
jknight8907

Why do we even need brick-and-mortar stores for most types of items? Online stores simply do a better job: more selection, lower prices, customer reviews, etc.
jknight8907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:45   #16
John_NJ

I still like big box stores for large items. I'm not going to get something that costs a fortune to ship back if there is a problem.

Don’t respond to the stupidity of a fool; you’ll only look foolish yourself. Proverbs 26:4
John_NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:15   #17
larry_minn
Silver Membership

Heck stores, businesses are closeing left and right. Larger concerns are "consolidating" I have bought a fair amount of stuff for pennies on buck. (some stuff I really don't need right now)
I went in on buying a building for business. While it was not "perfect" the location was fair. Now a much better building was just up for sale. (far as I know still available) Much better setup, Better location (for customers another 15 miles each way for workers) that we could NOT have afforded 5 yrs ago. (asking is just hint more then we paid)
I drive thru industrial areas I visit every yr or so. Now there is snow unplowed in yards, for sale/lease signs everywhere. I am half looking at one for self storage. With modern RFID cards, cameras, etc Could hire worker, do most stuff online, only have to staff it certain hrs.....
larry_minn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:11   #18
Restless28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jknight8907 View Post
Why do we even need brick-and-mortar stores for most types of items? Online stores simply do a better job: more selection, lower prices, customer reviews, etc.
Because small business is the driver of our economy. Most Americans work for small business.
Restless28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 13:12   #19
HollowHead
Firm member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jknight8907 View Post
Why do we even need brick-and-mortar stores for most types of items?
Who's going to donate to local charity auctions?
Who's going to give your kid his first job?
Who's going to sponsor local little league teams?
And most importantly, who's going to collect local sales tax?

HH

Sent from two coffee cans connected by a string.
HollowHead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:08   #20
Slug71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox View Post
There are other online retailers. I try not to buy from Amazon if possible.
This was posted on the Firearms Coalition Policy's FB page on Jan 13th. I made a thread about it them.

25% of all purchases made through http://shop42a.com/ will be donated towards the 2A. It's an Amazon affiliate owned by Calguns.

https://m.facebook.com/gunpolicy?id=...685850856&_rdr
Bull Dawgs Club #571
Rimfire Club #571

Last edited by Slug71; 02-02-2013 at 11:12..
Slug71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:35   #21
vikingsoftpaw

Local hardware store were hit hard by the big box home improvement stores. In many cases thought, the mom and pop shops figured their customers would be happy with the 8:00 to 5:30 hours and paying higher prices. Guess again.

Some have stayed in business, finding a niche market, such as supplies for older homes. Guess where I found linseed oil, tongue oil and bronze wool to refinish a Trapdoor Springfield?

I once purchased a soldering iron at a Lowes only to find they didn't stock ant electrical solder. Go figure....

Quote:
Who goes to RadioShack anymore?
Strangely enough I found the silver solder there.

"Though defensive violence will always be 'a sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." - St. Augustine

Last edited by vikingsoftpaw; 02-02-2013 at 11:40..
vikingsoftpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:51   #22
TunaFisherman
Halibut Hunter

People still like to shop where they can touch , lift , kick the tires. As our generation passes this to will pass and most sales will be online.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:04   #23
TSAX
USAF Vet

I think there should be a good balance of online and local shops. It is a pain in the butt to return or exchange online. Also for those of us who like to touch and get a sense of a product first hand, going to a store is much more feasible. I bought a BladeTech OWB holster for IDPA because a shop had a large selection and they let me put it on to try it out. Fit great, bought it.

It also depends on the products. Even though groceries can be bought online, I much prefer to pick them out myself. Ever order bread and then have them delivered only to find the guy that picked them out didnt notice they expire that same day . From the ball and chain's stand point, she likes seeing items online but prefers buy in store to try them on. Seeing how something looks on her versus on an image online makes a huge difference sometimes.

The rental/lease costs for space some of these places like Radio Shack pays is high, adding other costs of doing business (labor, utilities, shipping, etc), they still seem to be doing ok. How long they will still be open

NRA Member http://home.nra.org/#/nraorg
TSAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:05   #24
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

To compete with the Internet it may be necessary to convert from massive inventory, to touchy feely samples of products on the floor, and all purchases via mail from "drop shipped" sources around the country, the same way that Amazon does business except with sales staff.

For immediate Purchase and delivery, higher price.

Inventory is minimal, store size is minimal and offers customer contact also.

Not saying I'm in favor of this, just an option to be more competitive.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:57   #25
Detectorist

If we value our local business then we should be paying sales tax on online sales.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place”. George Bernard Shaw
Detectorist is offline   Reply With Quote