GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2013, 14:10   #1
vandros
10mm fan
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: southwest
Posts: 164
10mm v .357 magnum

Hi all! What are some important theoretical and practical differences between performance of these two calibers? It seems when bullet weight and velocity are equal, their ballistic characteristics are VERY similar. What are your thoughts/experiences?
__________________
glock 4 gun; strider 4 knife

Last edited by vandros; 01-26-2013 at 16:23..
vandros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 20:06   #2
rustytxrx
Senior Member
 
rustytxrx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,068
Generally the 10mm is a semiauto and the 357 mag is a revolver. I think there's more difference between the guns than the claibers.

If I could jut have one pistol? I guess i'd flip a coin. No wait! I'd take take the S&W model 1006 unless I could have a brand new 5" Colt Phyton

Rusty
__________________
Rusty
Texas, I luv u

Last edited by rustytxrx; 01-26-2013 at 20:07..
rustytxrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 20:44   #3
Cwlongshot
Senior Member
 
Cwlongshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 434
Allot of arm chair ballistic techs will tell you these are equal...Well, they aint!

The missing equation is the .401 bullet vs .357 Bullet. In bullets on game, bigger means better. In terms of faster incapacitation.
Then there is both calibers loaded to SAMI spec for each. That 35K for the Mag and 37K for the 10mm. The 10 is notoriously loaded lite for all the ''ahem'' recoil sensitive folks who couldn't handle the round.
Then both need to be shot thru a same length barrel and finally both thru either a vented or non vented barrel. NOW we have a level playing field to compare them.

The 357 fired from a 10'' Barrel will get a 110g bullet to 1750fps and a 180g to 1300fps

The 10MM fired from a 6'' barrel will reach 1700fps with a 135g and 1250fps with a 220g.

That puts the 10 firmly into the lower end of the 41 Magnum with a 170g @ 12500fps. IF the 41 is shot from same barrel, style and SAMI max pressure.

CW
__________________
NRA Life member NRA Certified Pistol & Shotgun Instructor NRA Certified Rifle Coach Certified Range Officer Reloading Instructor
ALWAYS REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Last edited by Cwlongshot; 01-26-2013 at 20:55..
Cwlongshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:28   #4
SCmasterblaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Hartford, Vermont
Posts: 16,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwlongshot View Post
Allot of arm chair ballistic techs will tell you these are equal...Well, they aint!

The missing equation is the .401 bullet vs .357 Bullet. In bullets on game, bigger means better. In terms of faster incapacitation.
Then there is both calibers loaded to SAMI spec for each. That 35K for the Mag and 37K for the 10mm. The 10 is notoriously loaded lite for all the ''ahem'' recoil sensitive folks who couldn't handle the round.
Then both need to be shot thru a same length barrel and finally both thru either a vented or non vented barrel. NOW we have a level playing field to compare them.

The 357 fired from a 10'' Barrel will get a 110g bullet to 1750fps and a 180g to 1300fps

The 10MM fired from a 6'' barrel will reach 1700fps with a 135g and 1250fps with a 220g.

That puts the 10 firmly into the lower end of the 41 Magnum with a 170g @ 12500fps. IF the 41 is shot from same barrel, style and SAMI max pressure.

CW
This is a good examination.
__________________
Gun Ownership Offers Freedom in Many Dimensions
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:02   #5
Michael Rye
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwlongshot View Post
Allot of arm chair ballistic techs will tell you these are equal...Well, they aint!

The missing equation is the .401 bullet vs .357 Bullet. In bullets on game, bigger means better. In terms of faster incapacitation.
Then there is both calibers loaded to SAMI spec for each. That 35K for the Mag and 37K for the 10mm. The 10 is notoriously loaded lite for all the ''ahem'' recoil sensitive folks who couldn't handle the round.
Then both need to be shot thru a same length barrel and finally both thru either a vented or non vented barrel. NOW we have a level playing field to compare them.

The 357 fired from a 10'' Barrel will get a 110g bullet to 1750fps and a 180g to 1300fps

The 10MM fired from a 6'' barrel will reach 1700fps with a 135g and 1250fps with a 220g.

That puts the 10 firmly into the lower end of the 41 Magnum with a 170g @ 12500fps. IF the 41 is shot from same barrel, style and SAMI max pressure.

CW
I generally try to steer clear of caliber debates, but I cannot let this one go.

You talk about the need for same length barrels. I agree.

You talk about the need for both to be either vented or non-vented. I agree there, too.

Take it a step beyond that, though. They both need to be the same platform. Seeing as how there are very few semi-auto 357 magnums out there....how about let's compare:

1) An S&W 686 357 Mag with a 4" tube
2) An S&W 610 10mm with a 4" tube
3) An S&W 657 41 Mag with 4" tube

All revolvers, all same length barrels.

I can tell you two things:

1) There is absolutely no way that with similar weight bullets and with top end loads that the 10mm will out perform the 357 Mag by anywhere NEAR what the numbers in your post suggest.

2) With similar weight bullets and with top end loads, the 10mm will fall significantly short of what a 41 Magnum can do.

The 686 and 610 would give very similar performance. The 657 would be in a totally different league.
Michael Rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 13:14   #6
Tiro Fijo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 5,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rye View Post
...


1) There is absolutely no way that with similar weight bullets and with top end loads that the 10mm will out perform the 357 Mag by anywhere NEAR what the numbers in your post suggest.

2) With similar weight bullets and with top end loads, the 10mm will fall significantly short of what a 41 Magnum can do.

The 686 and 610 would give very similar performance. The 657 would be in a totally different league.


Agreed, & in a Ruger Single Action the gloves really come off with the Magnums.
Tiro Fijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:10   #7
gatorboy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rye View Post
I generally try to steer clear of caliber debates, but I cannot let this one go.

You talk about the need for same length barrels. I agree.

You talk about the need for both to be either vented or non-vented. I agree there, too.

Take it a step beyond that, though. They both need to be the same platform. Seeing as how there are very few semi-auto 357 magnums out there....how about let's compare:

1) An S&W 686 357 Mag with a 4" tube
2) An S&W 610 10mm with a 4" tube
3) An S&W 657 41 Mag with 4" tube

All revolvers, all same length barrels.

I can tell you two things:

1) There is absolutely no way that with similar weight bullets and with top end loads that the 10mm will out perform the 357 Mag by anywhere NEAR what the numbers in your post suggest.

2) With similar weight bullets and with top end loads, the 10mm will fall significantly short of what a 41 Magnum can do.

The 686 and 610 would give very similar performance. The 657 would be in a totally different league.
The 10mm will hang with 357 up to about a 6" tube. I think full-house 10mm would beat full-house 357 from a 4" tube.
gatorboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 21:45   #8
countrygun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 17,068
folks have missed the original goal of the 10mm, which is a shame. It as originally suggested to throw a .40 cal 200 (or heavier) grain bullet at over 1,000 fps, with "heavy loads" at around 1,200. This is actually what Elmer Keith wanted when he and others proposed the .41 mag for police use (Well, a bit faster than they asked for in Police loads) which , in ballistics, was one place where Keith and Jeff Cooper actually agreed on a useful load.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 21:54   #9
blk69stang
Senior Member
 
blk69stang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Arizona
Posts: 524
Comparing the .357 magnum to a 10mm is like comparing an El Camino to an F-350 4x4. Sure, they both have four wheels, a pickup bed, and can haul sheets of plywood, but one is capable of much more when used to its full potential. The 10mm can do anything the .357 can do, as well as do SO MUCH more if you want it to. Sure, you can load a 10mm down to .357 magnum performance levels, but you can also load it up to .41 magnum performance and be within SAAMI spec, or you can go a little "over book" and be solidly into .44 magnum territory. Set up with a fully supported chamber and loaded properly, a 10mm can chuck 200gr hardcast lead at 1400-1450 fps without getting pressure signs. You CAN'T do that with a .357.

Last edited by blk69stang; 01-26-2013 at 21:59..
blk69stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 22:07   #10
SDGlock23
Glockoholic
 
SDGlock23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Land of Forgetfulness
Posts: 7,602
I no longer have a .357 Mag or 10mm, but when I had the 6" GP100 .357, some of the warmer handloads I can remember off the top of my head included a 125gr JHP @ ~1700 fps, a 158gr hardcast at around 1530 fps and a 180gr XTP @ around 1325 fps. Some factory 125gr .357's are fairly warm, the Remington 125gr JHP does almost 1600 fps from a 6" GP100. The .357 loads I used were with book charges, where a number of "warm" 10mm loads aren't.

I prefer larger bullets myself, but the higher sectional density of the .357 bullets will give them the edge in penetration, a 180gr .357 has higher sectional density than a 220gr 10mm, and there are 200gr .357's too. Then there are 16-24" barreled lever action .357's too which take it up to the next level as well, something you don't get with the 10mm.

The 10mm is loaded "lite" but so are most cartridges from the big ammo makers, and I know a 10mm can shoot a 220gr @ close to 1250 fps from a long barrel, I've personally done it, but it's an over pressure load any way you slice it. However, I load that way too in my setup, I'm just saying that often "full power" 10mm is also "over pressure" 10mm. I would say the .357 Mag and 10mm compare favorably to one another, .40 too when you throw in a 6" bbl. I wouldn't put the 10mm in .41 Mag territory myself.
__________________
"Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance."
SDGlock23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 22:13   #11
countrygun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 17,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGlock23 View Post
I no longer have a .357 Mag or 10mm, but when I had the 6" GP100 .357, some of the warmer handloads I can remember off the top of my head included a 125gr JHP @ ~1700 fps, a 158gr hardcast at around 1530 fps and a 180gr XTP @ around 1325 fps. Some factory 125gr .357's are fairly warm, the Remington 125gr JHP does almost 1600 fps from a 6" GP100. The .357 loads I used were with book charges, where a number of "warm" 10mm loads aren't.

I prefer larger bullets myself, but the higher sectional density of the .357 bullets will give them the edge in penetration, a 180gr .357 has higher sectional density than a 220gr 10mm, and there are 200gr .357's too. Then there are 16-24" barreled lever action .357's too which take it up to the next level as well, something you don't get with the 10mm.

The 10mm is loaded "lite" but so are most cartridges from the big ammo makers, and I know a 10mm can shoot a 220gr @ close to 1250 fps from a long barrel, I've personally done it, but it's an over pressure load any way you slice it. However, I load that way too in my setup, I'm just saying that often "full power" 10mm is also "over pressure" 10mm. I would say the .357 Mag and 10mm compare favorably to one another, .40 too when you throw in a 6" bbl. I wouldn't put the 10mm in .41 Mag territory myself.
I agree. the 10mm is no .41 mag at the top end. they shake hands at a very useful level but it wasn't designed to be a magnum nor was it developed to win velocity awards with light bullets
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:05   #12
Cwlongshot
Senior Member
 
Cwlongshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGlock23 View Post
I no longer have a .357 Mag or 10mm, but when I had the 6" GP100 .357, some of the warmer hand-loads I can remember off the top of my head included a 125gr JHP @ ~1700 fps, a 158gr hard cast at around 1530 fps and a 180gr XTP @ around 1325 fps. Some factory 125gr .357's are fairly warm, the Remington 125gr JHP does almost 1600 fps from a 6" GP100. The .357 loads I used were with book charges, where a number of "warm" 10mm loads aren't.

I prefer larger bullets myself, but the higher sectional density of the .357 bullets will give them the edge in penetration, a 180gr .357 has higher sectional density than a 220gr 10mm, and there are 200gr .357's too. Then there are 16-24" barreled lever action .357's too which take it up to the next level as well, something you don't get with the 10mm.
Couple of things...
The velocities your velocity quotes are substantially higher that I have achieved with any revolver. Heck they are higher than most of my 10'' Contender barrel to... They are FIRMLY into some of my 357 MAXIMUM Contender and Magnum CARBINE velocities!!
IMHO, you simply will never get to them from a vented revolver barrel while keeping at or under 35K! Even thru a 357Mag Cassul, with its extremely tight cylinder gap and quality barrel only gains me 75 or so fps over other loadings... Back when the 357 was introduced, in '35. it got these kind of velocities. But we now know that they where extremely over loaded.

As for the better SD of the 357 with a 180g at just over .200 and the 220g .40 at the high .180's your correct. But its mighty close.

You see the 357 is limited to 35k while the 10mm is 37.5K

I don't put the 10MM in the 44Mag class, not by a long shot. But it absolutely is shaking hands with the LOWER end of 41 Mag loadings! All while making a more manageable package.

I did not mention something that 69 stang brought up. Supported chambers. YES, The velocities I have quoted for the 10mm I would NOT FEEL SAFE shooting from my Delta Elites!! But they are just fine in my Glock 20 with after market barrels. Before anyone picks on this point remember, the 357 Mag is also in a fully supported barrel.. In again keeping with a apples to apples comparison...quoted velocities have been choreographed threw any different guns barrel lengths and styles over many years and different factory and hand loadings.

I like the 357 Mag very much, I have hunted with it in revolvers, Contenders and Carbine rifles accounting for more than a couple Whitetails thru the years. The 10MM is a newer arrival and I took to it with a Delta Elite first, Than a second in Gold Cup guise and lastly a Glock 20 in the late 1990's. I firer a number of boxes of the Norma 170 and 200g offerings they that first Delta... Most of that brass was ruined with smiles ...surely loaded above SAAMI pressure 37.5K.


CW
__________________
NRA Life member NRA Certified Pistol & Shotgun Instructor NRA Certified Rifle Coach Certified Range Officer Reloading Instructor
ALWAYS REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Cwlongshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:22   #13
Berto
woo woo
 
Berto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: WA
Posts: 29,638


Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwlongshot View Post
Couple of things...
The velocities your velocity quotes are substantially higher that I have achieved with any revolver. Heck they are higher than most of my 10'' Contender barrel to... They are FIRMLY into some of my 357 MAXIMUM Contender and Magnum CARBINE velocities!!
IMHO, you simply will never get to them from a vented revolver barrel while keeping at or under 35K! Even thru a 357Mag Cassul, with its extremely tight cylinder gap and quality barrel only gains me 75 or so fps over other loadings... Back when the 357 was introduced, in '35. it got these kind of velocities. But we now know that they where extremely over loaded.

As for the better SD of the 357 with a 180g at just over .200 and the 220g .40 at the high .180's your correct. But its mighty close.

You see the 357 is limited to 35k while the 10mm is 37.5K

I don't put the 10MM in the 44Mag class, not by a long shot. But it absolutely is shaking hands with the LOWER end of 41 Mag loadings! All while making a more manageable package.

I did not mention something that 69 stang brought up. Supported chambers. YES, The velocities I have quoted for the 10mm I would NOT FEEL SAFE shooting from my Delta Elites!! But they are just fine in my Glock 20 with after market barrels. Before anyone picks on this point remember, the 357 Mag is also in a fully supported barrel.. In again keeping with a apples to apples comparison...quoted velocities have been choreographed threw any different guns barrel lengths and styles over many years and different factory and hand loadings.

I like the 357 Mag very much, I have hunted with it in revolvers, Contenders and Carbine rifles accounting for more than a couple Whitetails thru the years. The 10MM is a newer arrival and I took to it with a Delta Elite first, Than a second in Gold Cup guise and lastly a Glock 20 in the late 1990's. I firer a number of boxes of the Norma 170 and 200g offerings they that first Delta... Most of that brass was ruined with smiles ...surely loaded above SAAMI pressure 37.5K.


CW
The velocities he quoted can be had in factory ammo.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...t_detail&p=100

Buffalo Bore isn't noted for fudging their numbers, either.

With 'nuke' handloads, .357 has a trick or two up it's sleave as well, since the brass can take 60K psi. (ie: 200gr/1500fps)


http://www.sixguns.com/tests/tt353.htm


I have both rounds in my collection, I consider them equals for all practical purposes.
__________________
I had the money till they made me pay
Then I had the sense to be on my way
I had to stay in the underground
I was in the house when the house burned down.
Berto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:21   #14
SCmasterblaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Hartford, Vermont
Posts: 16,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGlock23 View Post
I no longer have a .357 Mag or 10mm, but when I had the 6" GP100 .357, some of the warmer handloads I can remember off the top of my head included a 125gr JHP @ ~1700 fps, a 158gr hardcast at around 1530 fps and a 180gr XTP @ around 1325 fps. Some factory 125gr .357's are fairly warm, the Remington 125gr JHP does almost 1600 fps from a 6" GP100. The .357 loads I used were with book charges, where a number of "warm" 10mm loads aren't.

I prefer larger bullets myself, but the higher sectional density of the .357 bullets will give them the edge in penetration, a 180gr .357 has higher sectional density than a 220gr 10mm, and there are 200gr .357's too. Then there are 16-24" barreled lever action .357's too which take it up to the next level as well, something you don't get with the 10mm.

The 10mm is loaded "lite" but so are most cartridges from the big ammo makers, and I know a 10mm can shoot a 220gr @ close to 1250 fps from a long barrel, I've personally done it, but it's an over pressure load any way you slice it. However, I load that way too in my setup, I'm just saying that often "full power" 10mm is also "over pressure" 10mm. I would say the .357 Mag and 10mm compare favorably to one another, .40 too when you throw in a 6" bbl. I wouldn't put the 10mm in .41 Mag territory myself.
A very thoughtful post. I like the super-hot .357 125gr JHP loading.
__________________
Gun Ownership Offers Freedom in Many Dimensions

Last edited by SCmasterblaster; 01-29-2013 at 09:22..
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 23:58   #15
Wolf Spyder
Gun Activist
 
Wolf Spyder's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 650
Send a message via AIM to Wolf Spyder
I believe the original post was about .357 Mag vs. 10mm Auto.

To that end, the 10mm Auto is slightly better than the .357 Mag in that the 10mm pushes a heavier bullet faster. Period.

...also because most 10mm Autos are pistols, where as most .357 Mags are revolvers. Revolvers tend to have a greater felt recoil impulse. This makes for slower follow-up shots.

Pistols tend to have a larger ammunition payload and are much quicker and easier to reload. The difference is exponential. A revolver starts with 5 or 6 and is reloaded with 5 or 6 for a total of 10 to 12. A Glock 20 is loaded with 15 or 16 and is reloaded with 15 for a total of 30 or 31. another reload for each brings the total for the revolver to 15 or 18 while the total for the Glock goes up to 45 or 46. So as I said, the difference is exponential.

Most malfunctions in a pistol are simple to over come, where most malfunctions with a revolver renders it inoperable.

I could go on...

As to the 10mm Auto being an equal to the 41 Magnum. No, it is not. The 10mm Auto is close but not quite on the same level. The real benefit is not in the power of the 41 Mag, but in the ammunition payload of the Glock 20 10mm Auto. It is the same argument as above, 5 or 6 rounds vs. 15 rounds. More is better.



__________________
-- Wolfy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Spyder
"Only large manly men and very dangerous mythical creatures can handle the raw power of the 10mm"
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
Wolf Spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 22:14   #16
SDGlock23
Glockoholic
 
SDGlock23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Land of Forgetfulness
Posts: 7,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk69stang View Post
Comparing the .357 magnum to a 10mm is like comparing an El Camino to an F-350 4x4. Sure, they both have four wheels, a pickup bed, and can haul sheets of plywood, but one is capable of much more when used to its full potential. The 10mm can do anything the .357 can do, as well as do SO MUCH more if you want it to. Sure, you can load a 10mm down to .357 magnum performance levels, but you can also load it up to .41 magnum performance and be within SAAMI spec, or you can go a little "over book" and be solidly into .44 magnum territory. Set up with a fully supported chamber and loaded properly, a 10mm can chuck 200gr hardcast lead at 1400-1450 fps without getting pressure signs. You CAN'T do that with a .357.
You will never load a 10mm to .41 Mag levels and remain within SAAMI spec, never. Reaching 44 Mag levels is a pipe dream. Both not only punch bigger holes but can shoot heavier bullets faster than the 10mm can dream of. The 10 is a good cartridge, but I begin to wonder the hype hasn't gone to some peoples heads.
__________________
"Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance."
SDGlock23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 22:39   #17
blk69stang
Senior Member
 
blk69stang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Arizona
Posts: 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGlock23 View Post
You will never load a 10mm to .41 Mag levels and remain within SAAMI spec, never. Reaching 44 Mag levels is a pipe dream. Both not only punch bigger holes but can shoot heavier bullets faster than the 10mm can dream of. The 10 is a good cartridge, but I begin to wonder the hype hasn't gone to some peoples heads.
Of course you can't stay within SAAMI spec on the 10 and get massiver performance. Those specs are VERY conservative for a cartridge that was DESIGNED to handle much higher pressures than SAAMI spec'd it at. To clarify, the 10mm handles overspec loads because the spec is set way lower that the cartidge was DESIGNED for. The 357 OTOH is spec'd right about at the same level as it was designed for, so the SAAMI spec is a much more "hard and fast" value.

Ballistics101.com lists the following 44 magnum load:

240gr Federal Hydra-Shok @ 1210fps for 780 ft/lbs of energy.

My 200gr Hardcast 10mm loads go 1400 fps for 870 ft/lbs while only being about 5% over book. I can go a *little* hotter and coax it up to 1450 fps before the primers start to flatten and get 933 ft-lbs.

Not saying that the 10 can beat every 44 magnum load, just that it can get up into 44 mag territory, which the .357 won't with a 5" or shorter barrel AND maintain the same safety margin.

Or, to put it another way, my loads deliver more energy than 36 out of the 74 loads on ballistics101.com for the 44M that have muzzle energy listed. That puts my 10mm loads in the 48th percentile of the loads listed, or roughly midway into 44 magnum territory. When you consider that the 44 magnum loads are tested with barrels much longer than the 4.6" glock barrel, that's sayin' something.

Is the 10mm a 44 magnum? Hell no. Is it capable of MUCH more horsepower than a 357? Hell yes.

Just sayin'.
blk69stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 22:59   #18
countrygun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 17,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk69stang View Post
Of course you can't stay within SAAMI spec on the 10 and get massiver performance. Those specs are VERY conservative for a cartridge that was DESIGNED to handle much higher pressures than SAAMI spec'd it at. To clarify, the 10mm handles overspec loads because the spec is set way lower that the cartidge was DESIGNED for. The 357 OTOH is spec'd right about at the same level as it was designed for, so the SAAMI spec is a much more "hard and fast" value.

Ballistics101.com lists the following 44 magnum load:

240gr Federal Hydra-Shok @ 1210fps for 780 ft/lbs of energy.

My 200gr Hardcast 10mm loads go 1400 fps for 870 ft/lbs while only being about 5% over book. I can go a *little* hotter and coax it up to 1450 fps before the primers start to flatten and get 933 ft-lbs.

Not saying that the 10 can beat every 44 magnum load, just that it can get up into 44 mag territory, which the .357 won't with a 5" or shorter barrel AND maintain the same safety margin.

Or, to put it another way, my loads deliver more energy than 36 out of the 74 loads on ballistics101.com for the 44M that have muzzle energy listed. That puts my 10mm loads in the 48th percentile of the loads listed, or roughly midway into 44 magnum territory. When you consider that the 44 magnum loads are tested with barrels much longer than the 4.6" glock barrel, that's sayin' something.

Is the 10mm a 44 magnum? Hell no. Is it capable of MUCH more horsepower than a 357? Hell yes.

Just sayin'.
Bear in mind, no matter what you may think the cartridge was designed or originally intended for, the manufacturers of the guns may not agree with your optimism, nor shared it when they were spec'ing out their gun designs.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 23:20   #19
glock_19guy1983
Senior Member
 
glock_19guy1983's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: dixie
Posts: 3,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk69stang View Post
Of course you can't stay within SAAMI spec on the 10 and get massiver performance. Those specs are VERY conservative for a cartridge that was DESIGNED to handle much higher pressures than SAAMI spec'd it at. To clarify, the 10mm handles overspec loads because the spec is set way lower that the cartidge was DESIGNED for. The 357 OTOH is spec'd right about at the same level as it was designed for, so the SAAMI spec is a much more "hard and fast" value.

Ballistics101.com lists the following 44 magnum load:

240gr Federal Hydra-Shok @ 1210fps for 780 ft/lbs of energy.

My 200gr Hardcast 10mm loads go 1400 fps for 870 ft/lbs while only being about 5% over book. I can go a *little* hotter and coax it up to 1450 fps before the primers start to flatten and get 933 ft-lbs.

Not saying that the 10 can beat every 44 magnum load, just that it can get up into 44 mag territory, which the .357 won't with a 5" or shorter barrel AND maintain the same safety margin.

Or, to put it another way, my loads deliver more energy than 36 out of the 74 loads on ballistics101.com for the 44M that have muzzle energy listed. That puts my 10mm loads in the 48th percentile of the loads listed, or roughly midway into 44 magnum territory. When you consider that the 44 magnum loads are tested with barrels much longer than the 4.6" glock barrel, that's sayin' something.

Is the 10mm a 44 magnum? Hell no. Is it capable of MUCH more horsepower than a 357? Hell yes.

Just sayin'.
I admire your bravery, but Ive got enough scars and would rather avoid anymore on my hands. Ive got a 10mm Kimber coming in tuesday and will be handloading for it, but your loads would scare the **** out of me.
__________________
"Our situation illustrates the American idea that governments rest on the consent of the governed, and that it is the right of the people to alter or abolish them whenever they become destructive of the ends for which they were established."
glock_19guy1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:01   #20
SDGlock23
Glockoholic
 
SDGlock23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Land of Forgetfulness
Posts: 7,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk69stang View Post
Of course you can't stay within SAAMI spec on the 10 and get massiver performance. Those specs are VERY conservative for a cartridge that was DESIGNED to handle much higher pressures than SAAMI spec'd it at. To clarify, the 10mm handles overspec loads because the spec is set way lower that the cartidge was DESIGNED for. The 357 OTOH is spec'd right about at the same level as it was designed for, so the SAAMI spec is a much more "hard and fast" value.

Ballistics101.com lists the following 44 magnum load:

240gr Federal Hydra-Shok @ 1210fps for 780 ft/lbs of energy.

My 200gr Hardcast 10mm loads go 1400 fps for 870 ft/lbs while only being about 5% over book. I can go a *little* hotter and coax it up to 1450 fps before the primers start to flatten and get 933 ft-lbs.

Not saying that the 10 can beat every 44 magnum load, just that it can get up into 44 mag territory, which the .357 won't with a 5" or shorter barrel AND maintain the same safety margin.

Or, to put it another way, my loads deliver more energy than 36 out of the 74 loads on ballistics101.com for the 44M that have muzzle energy listed. That puts my 10mm loads in the 48th percentile of the loads listed, or roughly midway into 44 magnum territory. When you consider that the 44 magnum loads are tested with barrels much longer than the 4.6" glock barrel, that's sayin' something.

Is the 10mm a 44 magnum? Hell no. Is it capable of MUCH more horsepower than a 357? Hell yes.

Just sayin'.
As to whether the 10mm was designed to handle "much" higher pressures than it's spec'd at, I'm sure that could be argued all day long, but I see no evidence of it. Now can it handle higher pressures than 37.5K? Sure it can, but that depends on a lot of things. The .40 can handle higher pressure also, so can the .45 ACP, etc. in the right setup. If anything the .40 could handle higher pressure than the 10mm because it's got a slightly stronger case. Could the same thing be said of the .40, that's it's designed to handle much higher pressure just like the 10mm? Yet I have a feeling you might tell me the 10mm will stomp a hole in the .40, which isn't quite the case. There isn't nearly as much difference in the 10mm and .357 Mag as you think.

I know it's easy to cherry pick loads, and that yes you could compare a very low powered, light weight reduced recoil .41/44 Magnum load to a hot 10mm, but as you know that doesn't make them in any way similar as a whole. As you should also know, energy itself isn't a good way to compare cartridges. I could cherry pick .40's that give over 800, even over 1,000 ft-lbs of muzzle energy. Yet in no way would I compare it to any .40+ caliber magnum class revolver that will shoot bigger and heavier, sometimes MUCH heavier bullets. As a whole I see the 10mm being much more similar to the .357 Mag and even it's sibling .40 S&W than with the bigger .41 Magnum.

As for your 200gr hardcast at 1400, I'm sure the pressure is well above 37.5K PSI and your barrel longer than 4.6". I've never seen any manufacturers load data claim anywhere near that speed for a 200gr in any length barrel, and yes I question that your load is a mere 5% over book.

Even taking your word for it, what's the point of driving a hardcast non-expanding bullet to the max? Lets take a 200gr WFNGC moving along at 1200 fps from a .40, and I would ask if you really thought that a 200gr WFNGC at 1350 fps is hands down more effective than the same bullet at 1200? Between the two, I doubt you, me or the animals themselves would notice a difference. Up to a point, pushing faster with a hardcast isn't going to give you better penetration, it can even have the opposite effect and limit penetration. And if that's your goal, you're better off going up in caliber and bullet weight than trying to push it faster to gain penetration.
__________________
"Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance."
SDGlock23 is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply


Tags
.357 has cooler boolits, .357 magnum, 10mm, 10mm fantasyland, ballistics
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 18:13.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,465
397 Members
1,068 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 16:42