Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:14   #1
kimo

desk top icons no longer respond to clicking

Here's a weird thing that's happened just today. All my desktop icons for programs are visible, but none respond to any clicking. And, when I place my cursor on the desktop open area and right click, nothing happens. I can access the start button and any programs listed on the lower bar or use the start button to access programs using the all programs function.

What could be causing the icons on the desk top not to respond?

When I go to task manager to see if that will function I find a process running with an explorer icon called Interior complex... I can't get task manager to end the task. What's up?
From all that terror teaches, From lies of tongue & pen, From all the easy speeches That comfort cruel men. From sale & profanation Of honor and of sword,From sleep and from damnation, Deliver us, Good Lord.
GK Chesterton

Last edited by kimo; 01-21-2013 at 11:20..
kimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:31   #2
clarson_75

do other people have access to this computer? A prank i have used many times on friends is to take a screen shot of the desktop. then set that pic as the background for the computer. then move the actual icons off the screen. looks like they are still there, but you can't get anything open, because its just the background pic.

This nation is lead by a government that doesn't care what the law is and filled with a majority of people that don't care what the government does.
clarson_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:40   #3
WayaX
Lifetime Membership

I used to pull that one all the time. Screenshot the desktop then hide the icons. Right click and select "show desktop icons" and see if that helps.
"Throughout history, it has been the inaction of those who could have acted; the indifference of those who should have known better; the silence of the voice of justice when it mattered most; that has made it possible for evil to triumph."

-Haile Selassie I
WayaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:12   #4
kimo

reboot fixed it but raised another issue.. Still have a program running as revealed in task manager that has an Explorer icon (I only use firefox) and is listed as dailyRx-Windows Internet Explorer. I can't end the task. I highlight it and hit end task but it won't stop running

Any of you have experience with this?
From all that terror teaches, From lies of tongue & pen, From all the easy speeches That comfort cruel men. From sale & profanation Of honor and of sword,From sleep and from damnation, Deliver us, Good Lord.
GK Chesterton
kimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 13:02   #5
clarson_75

haven't seen it before and also never use IE. a quick google search brought up a couple of "special" uninstallers to get rid of it, so it must not be needed. Check the start-up tab in your programs list and make sure nothing is there. then i would reboot again and try and uninstall. If that doesn't work, I would disconnect from the net and reboot again, so IE can't connect to anything. Then use the task manager to shut it down and finally delete it.

This nation is lead by a government that doesn't care what the law is and filled with a majority of people that don't care what the government does.
clarson_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 18:04   #6
sbhaven

Download, install, update and run Malwarebytes ASAP! Its possible you got hit with malware.

Run Malwarebytes (with the latest updates) both from Windows and then reboot into Safe Mode and run Malwarebytes (with the latest updates) again to ensure you caught everything.

Last edited by sbhaven; 01-21-2013 at 18:07..
sbhaven is offline   Reply With Quote