GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2013, 19:51   #1
fendertele87
Senior Member
 
fendertele87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 184
What caliber is this?

It looks like it sizes up with my 7.62x39 but it says that no where on the round? The box says it is but not the bullet. Just want to make sure before I shoot it.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByOHubCampfire1358301047.004804.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	234.9 KB
ID:	230445Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByOHubCampfire1358301059.960107.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	169.6 KB
ID:	230446Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByOHubCampfire1358301070.053656.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	230447


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
fendertele87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 20:02   #2
dkf
Senior Member
 
dkf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 4,474
Not all brass had the caliber headstamped on it years ago. Especially true with some of the foreign ammo and milsurp. If you don't trust it take some measurements with a caliper comparing it to a known 7.62x39 round.

Last edited by dkf; 01-15-2013 at 20:03..
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 20:07   #3
fendertele87
Senior Member
 
fendertele87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 184
Just sizing it up.. It looks a little taller by a hair and maybe just short of a hair wide.. I'll measure it for sure tho


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
fendertele87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 21:28   #4
fendertele87
Senior Member
 
fendertele87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 184
After doing a bit more research I hound this on another blog...

http://www.arsenal-bg.com/defense_police/7,62x39.htm


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
fendertele87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:48   #5
Merkavaboy
Code-7A KUZ769
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In The State Of Fruitloops (CA)
Posts: 5,377
Even from the poor picture of the cartridge (not "bullet") I can tell you that it's 7.62x39mm.
__________________
"I spent the last two years of high school in a daze....attended classes sparingly, drank beer heavily, and tried drugs enthusiastically."
Barack Obama
One Bad Ass Mistake America
Merkavaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 21:07   #6
FLIPPER 348
Happy Member
 
FLIPPER 348's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Lyle WA
Posts: 22,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkavaboy View Post
Even from the poor picture of the cartridge (not "bullet") I can tell you that it's 7.62x39mm.


I could tell because it is written on the box!
FLIPPER 348 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 21:45   #7
marvin
sci-fi nut
 
marvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: greentown ind.
Posts: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIPPER 348 View Post
I could tell because it is written on the box!
+1

when in doubt read the box
__________________

Free men own guns, slaves don't.
marvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:58   #8
Merkavaboy
Code-7A KUZ769
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In The State Of Fruitloops (CA)
Posts: 5,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkavaboy
Even from the poor picture of the cartridge (not "bullet") I can tell you that it's 7.62x39mm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIPPER 348 View Post
I could tell because it is written on the box!
Good for you!

Good thing that the OP posted a pic of the box so it made it easier for you to identify the writing on the box.
__________________
"I spent the last two years of high school in a daze....attended classes sparingly, drank beer heavily, and tried drugs enthusiastically."
Barack Obama
One Bad Ass Mistake America
Merkavaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:58   #9
FLIPPER 348
Happy Member
 
FLIPPER 348's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Lyle WA
Posts: 22,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkavaboy View Post
Quote:


Good thing that the OP posted a pic of the box so it made it easier for you to identify the writing on the box.


....one wonders why the OP did not read the box
FLIPPER 348 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:07   #10
SCmasterblaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Hartford, Vermont
Posts: 16,020
7.62x39 for sure.
__________________
Gun Ownership Offers Freedom in Many Dimensions
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:12   #11
CitizenOfDreams
Senior Member
 
CitizenOfDreams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 8,117
Commies did not have to mark their brass back then. One party, one leader, one caliber.
CitizenOfDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 15:20   #12
banger
Senior Member
 
banger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Where evil lives
Posts: 1,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitizenOfDreams View Post
Commies did not have to mark their brass back then. One party, one leader, one caliber.

Ehhhh, You hopefully realize that most U.S. military ammo is marked only with the manufacturer and the year of production.

IE. WCC 03, RA 94 etc.

In fact, most often caliber is referred to by its identifying number, M-193, M-855, M-80.

Caliber markings on brass are for the amatures not the professionals.

EDIT: To check the accuracy of my recollection, I just retrieved a box of 30-06.

The box is marked as follows

20 cartridges
BALL
caliber .30 M2
Lot LC 39131
Lake City Arsenal

casings are marked. LC 52

The caliber of .30-06 NEVER appears on the packaging or the cartridge.

Last edited by banger; 01-16-2013 at 15:40..
banger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:11   #13
SCmasterblaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Hartford, Vermont
Posts: 16,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by banger View Post
Ehhhh, You hopefully realize that most U.S. military ammo is marked only with the manufacturer and the year of production.

IE. WCC 03, RA 94 etc.

In fact, most often caliber is referred to by its identifying number, M-193, M-855, M-80.

Caliber markings on brass are for the amatures not the professionals.

EDIT: To check the accuracy of my recollection, I just retrieved a box of 30-06.

The box is marked as follows

20 cartridges
BALL
caliber .30 M2
Lot LC 39131
Lake City Arsenal

casings are marked. LC 52

The caliber of .30-06 NEVER appears on the packaging or the cartridge.
Wow. I wonder why the caliber is omitted?
__________________
Gun Ownership Offers Freedom in Many Dimensions
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 15:41   #14
banger
Senior Member
 
banger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Where evil lives
Posts: 1,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
Wow. I wonder why the caliber is omitted?
As far as the military was concerned, they covered that when they identified the ammunition as "M-2"

That was all the identification that they needed.

Much like today when troops require ammunition for their M-4 rifles, the ammunition will simply be marked on it's boxes as "M-855", "M-193", "M-856" etc., with only the manufacturer initials and year on the casing.

Think WCC-04, LC-08, and such.

Those numbers tell all the story that the need to know.

Last edited by banger; 02-08-2013 at 15:49..
banger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 13:02   #15
SCmasterblaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Hartford, Vermont
Posts: 16,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by banger View Post
As far as the military was concerned, they covered that when they identified the ammunition as "M-2"

That was all the identification that they needed.

Much like today when troops require ammunition for their M-4 rifles, the ammunition will simply be marked on it's boxes as "M-855", "M-193", "M-856" etc., with only the manufacturer initials and year on the casing.

Think WCC-04, LC-08, and such.

Those numbers tell all the story that the need to know.
I guess that the military knows what it is doing in this regard.
__________________
Gun Ownership Offers Freedom in Many Dimensions
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 14:23   #16
vafish
Senior Member
 
vafish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Commonwealth of Virginia
Posts: 24,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitizenOfDreams View Post
Commies did not have to mark their brass back then. One party, one leader, one caliber.
7.62x25, 7.62x39, 7.62x54.

One caliber 3 different case lengths.

Then they get the 9x18 and 5.45x39.

posted from my stupid smart phone, please excuse any spelling mistakes.
__________________
"If your plan is for one year, plant rice.
If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
If your plan is for one hundred years,
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 23:01   #17
esminbritt
Elias
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by vafish View Post
7.62x25, 7.62x39, 7.62x54.

One caliber 3 different case lengths.

Then they get the 9x18 and 5.45x39.

posted from my stupid smart phone, please excuse any spelling mistakes.
Don't forget about the formidable 7.62 X 51. The .308 is a great mid-weight cartridge. I love it in both of my rifles.
__________________
Gen 4 G17--Saiga .308--Rem 700SS R5 milspec .308--Rem. 870 Marine Mag.
"If you can choose what to bring to a gunfight, bring a long gun... and a friend with a long gun."
--NRA Life Member
esminbritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 19:19   #18
ca survivor
Senior Member
 
ca survivor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 7,366
7.62x39
ca survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:34   #19
SCmasterblaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Hartford, Vermont
Posts: 16,020
There must be over a hundred world-wide makers of 7.62x39 mm.
__________________
Gun Ownership Offers Freedom in Many Dimensions
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 19:13   #20
Merkavaboy
Code-7A KUZ769
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In The State Of Fruitloops (CA)
Posts: 5,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
There must be over a hundred world-wide makers of 7.62x39 mm.
Yes. The 7.62x39mm caliber is to the rifle world what the 9x19mm caliber is to the handgun/SMG world; the most prevelant calibers produced today.
__________________
"I spent the last two years of high school in a daze....attended classes sparingly, drank beer heavily, and tried drugs enthusiastically."
Barack Obama
One Bad Ass Mistake America
Merkavaboy is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 23:51.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,005
202 Members
803 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 16:42