Old 01-14-2013, 21:57   #1
High Altitude

NYS Senate passed new gun bill

http://saratogian.com/articles/2013/...1973450859.txt
High Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 22:09   #2
Mr Spock
Vulcan

Am I missing something, or did the article not even say what it is that the bill includes??
Mr Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 22:12   #3
M&P Shooter
Metal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTechRedneck View Post
Am I missing something, or did the article not even say what it is that the bill includes??
They want all mags to be restricted to 7 rounds and ban all AW. It will never pass, this is just a bunch of crazies running in circles waiting for congress to slap them all in the face with a dose of reality
Old 01-14-2013, 22:21   #4
Grabbrass

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&P Shooter View Post
They want all mags to be restricted to 7 rounds
outlaws the M1 Garand
Grabbrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 22:41   #5
jay29

It will pass. Elections have consequences. Those who sat home the last election and those gun owners who voted for Obama can go straight to hell with all the democrats like cuomo.
jay29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 23:14   #6
Fox
Varmit Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay29 View Post
It will pass. Elections have consequences. Those who sat home the last election and those gun owners who voted for Obama can go straight to hell with all the democrats like cuomo.
You got that right!
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 00:00   #7
1985 4Runner
Agitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay29 View Post
No, no, no, no & no.

Since 2007, I have read over & over here at GT that Democrats to include Obama are not interested in restricting guns, gun rights, bans, confiscation etc.

Obama will prove to be the worst mistake the American people ever made.
1985 4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:12   #8
Chuche2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabbrass View Post
outlaws the M1 Garand
Guns and magazines that are classified as curio and relics are exempt. Got this from one of the links above.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:14   #9
mgs
Always Carrying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuche2 View Post
Guns and magazines that are classified as curio and relics are exempt. Got this from one of the links above.
M1 is not old enough for that!
mgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:09   #10
Texas357
CLM Number 224
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabbrass View Post
outlaws the M1 Garand
Interesting. Even if you get a reduced count clip, the internal magazine is still fixed at 8 rounds capacity....

"I nominate you for President of Texas!" - Dr. Octagon
"I accept your nomination, and thank you for your vote."- Texas357
Texas357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 23:05   #11
9mmdude

Quote:
They want all mags to be restricted to 7 rounds and ban all AW. It will never pass, this is just a bunch of crazies running in circles waiting for congress to slap them all in the face with a dose of reality
Umm news flash: State Senate passed it. Assembly takes it up in the AM and the Gov said he will sign it.
9mmdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 18:32   #12
SK2344

What ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mmdude View Post
Umm news flash: State Senate passed it. Assembly takes it up in the AM and the Gov said he will sign it.
So the way I see it is that every State can pass their own Gun Control Laws, banning AW's and Hi Cap Mags. So why would the Federal Government bother with re-introducing the 94 Gun Ban Laws, just let each State control Guns in their State! Am I understanding this or am I confused! HELP!
SK2344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 19:05   #13
Baba Louie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK2344 View Post
So the way I see it is that every State can pass their own Gun Control Laws, banning AW's and Hi Cap Mags. So why would the Federal Government bother with re-introducing the 94 Gun Ban Laws, just let each State control Guns in their State! Am I understanding this or am I confused! HELP!
You understand it. But for those pesky "Rights" States who want to safeguard Freedom, sometimes a bee up their knickers from Big Brother reminds them who gets the lions share of tax dollars from their citizens... ya know?

It's a Control Thing.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13
Baba Louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 21:16   #14
iDivideByZero
Padawan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK2344 View Post
Even if a state passes an unconstitutional law it doesn't make it legal. Much in the way that congress can do the same. However, once(if) it is challenged in court it can be overturned (in this case for 2A violation). Just because the Feds aren't supposed to have micromanagement control over the states doesn't mean that a state can pass whatever BS it wants and trample all over your rights without facing opposition in court. There is precedence for this: D.C v. Heller -> McDonald v. Chicago. However, neither of these cases really clear up the overall gunban fiasco, and I am sure that we will see protracted battles over the next few years.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:25   #15
HDMotorcop

Quote:
M&P Shooter: I would hope you are right, but you are refering to my great state of new york here. I fear that it very well will be a done deal as of tomorrow, our Govnr is pushing strongly, the senate is behind it.....I fear the rest of the legislature will follow suit.

Rimfire #1035 Ruger #1035 Snub #1035
SNS #1035 S&W # 1035
HDMotorcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:55   #16
PAGunner

Quote:
It's a done deal, the senate is the only thing that could have stopped it and that is where it passed. It will pass the assembly with zero problems and Cuomo will sign it.

I'm so glad I fled that hellhole!
Old 01-15-2013, 03:02   #17
IndyGunFreak
RIP My Friends

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
It's painfully obvious you did not read the article
The fire is no longer my major concern since I am leaving immediately on an unexpected road trip to Indianapolis. Watch the national news over the next couple of days, I'll wave... well, only if I'm cuffed in the front.
RIP Jack
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:25   #18
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post
It's painfully obvious you did not read the article
I read this article and that's what it says is in there.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/15/ny...laws.html?_r=0
Old 01-15-2013, 04:34   #19
IndyGunFreak
RIP My Friends

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
I read this article and that's what it says is in there.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/15/ny...laws.html?_r=0
I only read the link in the OP, which also pretty clearly mentioned it passed the Senate, and should sail through the Assembly.

Very sad.

Glad I'm not a traveler.
The fire is no longer my major concern since I am leaving immediately on an unexpected road trip to Indianapolis. Watch the national news over the next couple of days, I'll wave... well, only if I'm cuffed in the front.
RIP Jack
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:22   #20
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
So explain how there is even the slightest chance it will NOT pass?

It just passed the New York senate, the assembly (NY's house of representatives) has 100 democrats and 49 republicans.

it was the governor's idea, or else he's talking like it was.

At which point is it going to fail - the democrat super-majority that has to pass it in the assembly, or the governor who asked for it?

There is a reason New York was rated the least free state in America...and that reason is New Yorkers.

Last edited by Bren; 01-15-2013 at 04:34..
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:36   #21
OctoberRust
Anti-Federalist

Quote:

It'll never pass?

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...ew-york-state/
OctoberRust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:59   #22
KalashniKEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneyBooney View Post
But it still won't help with shootings. I guess they are all seeking the "Golden Panacea".
The legislation also increases sentences for gun crimes including the shooting of a first responder that Cuomo called the "Webster provision."

If he wanted to prevent tragedy from striking again, why didn't he make a "Webster provision" that if you're completely crazy and found guilty of "hammer slaying" another human being, you get the chair in one year or less.

Quote:
It will never pass, this is just a bunch of crazies running in circles waiting for congress to slap them all in the face with a dose of reality
As pointed out by many above, it WILL definitely become law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaT View Post
I have it on good word that no police officer would participate in a confiscation scheme.
LOL... who's good word is that?

NY LEOs are a class above the common man and really get off on the whole "sheep dog" nonsense. They have rights the common man does not posses. There is also a special level of government employee worship going on up there.

When Schumer gives the word, doors are going to be coming off the hinges all over the state and masked gunmen are going to rule the night. It's what we payed for with all those Homeland Security funds...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Tiger View Post
From the Foxnews.com article it appears upstate NY is pretty conservative but I fear NY is like Illinois in that one city runs the entire state.
Conservative does not equal Republican does not equal Pro Gun.

There are no pro gun people living in NY, because NY does not allow it's citizens to drink freedom deeply and enjoy the full power of the United States Constitution. I have a whole bunch of folks in my family that are "Pro Gun" that are all over the map as far as Fudd ideology, ARs are OK but no NFA, in home inspection of storage, etc.

The bill just passed a 57% Republican State Senate.
KalashniKEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 22:17   #23
High Altitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTechRedneck View Post

http://www.scribd.com/doc/120400946/...ill-fact-sheet

http://open.nysenate.gov/legislation/bill/S2230-2013

Last edited by High Altitude; 01-14-2013 at 22:20..
High Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 22:11   #24
cowboy1964

I have yet to read an article that goes into details about new "assault weapons" rules. I do know the 7 round mag limit is in there though.
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 22:14   #25
JuneyBooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1964 View Post
I have yet to read an article that goes into details about new "assault weapons" rules. I do know the 7 round mag limit is in there though.
But it still won't help with shootings. I guess they are all seeking the "Golden Panacea".
JuneyBooney is offline   Reply With Quote