Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-11-2013, 14:17   #1
Armanius

Can I leave ammo inside Glock magazine indefinitely?

Hello everyone! I recently got my first pistol, a Glock 19 Gen 4. Loving it!

I have some Federal HST LE ammo for self-defense purposes in one of the three mags that came with the gun. Can I just leave the ammo in the mag indefinitely? Would it have any detrimental effect on the mags, like maybe on the springs? Any detrimental effect on the ammo? Should I be taking the ammo out from time to time and maybe rotating amongst the three mags?

Thanks for the helps folks. I'm just a noob when it comes to firearms.

Last edited by Armanius; 01-11-2013 at 14:18..
Armanius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 14:19   #2
tonyparson

You can leave mag loaded for ever. Won't hurt the mag at all.
Old 01-11-2013, 14:24   #3
Armanius

Thanks for the quick response Tony. One more noob question, does ammo "expire" or go bad, assuming that the ammo is just sitting inside the house (as opposed to the in the middle of a rain forest)?

Thank you.
Old 01-11-2013, 14:24   #4
boose88

A previous post addressed the same question and a few members said that their mags would not feed 100% of the time after thousands of rounds and having them sit for months on end.

I personally rotate the mags cause I carry but Its not necessary and is EXTREMELY rare to find any mag that will do that.

conclusion- I could hurt the mag but chances that it will be fine are 99%
boose88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 14:26   #5
Armanius

Quote:
Originally Posted by boose88 View Post
A previous post addressed the same question and a few members said that their mags would not feed 100% of the time after thousands of rounds and having them sit for months on end.

I personally rotate the mags cause I carry but Its not necessary and is EXTREMELY rare to find any mag that will do that.

conclusion- I could hurt the mag but chances that it will be fine are 99%
Thank you!
Old 01-11-2013, 14:27   #6
skyboss_4evr

As long as your ammo is stored in ideal conditions, you'll go bad long before it does.
Old 01-11-2013, 16:37   #7
mglindo

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyboss_4evr View Post
As long as your ammo is stored in ideal conditions, you'll go bad long before it does.
mglindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 14:27   #8
tonyparson

As long as its stored in a dry place your ammo will last a long time. People are still using old surplus ammo that is older then I'm am.
Old 01-11-2013, 14:30   #9
tonyparson

On the mags, 7 months ago I found a G19 mag that I had lost in 1993 that was loaded. I put it in my G19 and it functioned like a new one. To this day it still has never gave me the first problem and it gets used all the time.

Last edited by tonyparson; 01-11-2013 at 14:32..
tonyparson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 14:50   #10
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armanius View Post

I have some Federal HST LE ammo for self-defense purposes in one of the three mags that came with the gun. Can I just leave the ammo in the mag indefinitely? Would it have any detrimental effect on the mags, like maybe on the springs? Any detrimental effect on the ammo? Should I be taking the ammo out from time to time and maybe rotating amongst the three mags?

I don't know about "indefinitely" but I've left it the magazines loaded and a round chambered for 8-9 years before, without a problem. I may have unloaded and reloaded the chambered round a few times in that time, but that's all.

Last edited by Bren; 01-11-2013 at 14:50..
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 14:53   #11
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyparson View Post
You can leave mag loaded for ever. Won't hurt the mag at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyboss_4evr View Post
Quote:
As long as its stored in a dry place your ammo will last a long time. People are still using old surplus ammo that is older then I'm am.
Quote:
On the mags, 7 months ago I found a G19 mag that I had lost in 1993 that was loaded. I put it in my G19 and it functioned like a new one. To this day it still has never gave me the first problem and it gets used all the time.
Old 01-11-2013, 15:00   #12
kelsitone
Armed & Safe

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=431877
kelsitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 15:06   #13
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

My Father passed away and I received his 1911. It had been under his pillow for at least 10 years I know of. How many more I can't guess.

(Side note: He was a DS in Cook County during Prohibition and always had a loaded pistol around him after that. He didn't carry. He told me no stories of his duty.)

Since he had the same chambered round all that time, when I got it I had to use a dowel and press the round out back through the chamber. The brass had corroded in the chamber in that time.

The magazine seemed fine.

At least re-oil the gun and cycle a new round through it once in a while.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 15:30   #14
PAGunner

There are stories of 1911's from WW2 found 50 years later loaded +1 that functioned perfectly when fired. With nickel plated brass corrosion really isn't an issue. I keep my handguns loaded and all I use for defensive rounds is HST, should be a non issue.

Btw, USE is what wears magazine springs not keeping them loaded.
Old 01-11-2013, 15:59   #15
Armanius

Thank you for the quick responses everyone. They are VERY much appreciated! This is a great forum!
Old 01-11-2013, 16:38   #16
Bruce M

I had a P226 magazine that was loaded with HydraShoks sometimes toward the end of the Hurricane Andrew recovery phase that I finally tried a year or two ago. The magazine and ammunition was fine. That said I would try to shoot ammunition I carry every year or two just to be cautious. I have a vague concern about ammuntion carried in a gun deteriorating from either lubricant or moisture. And I try to not cycle rounds into and out of the chamber too much to try to avoid the bullet being set further into the case than it should as that may cause pressure to rise.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 17:14   #17
SJ 40

I do but then again that's just me. SJ 40
SJ 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 17:19   #18
jim goose
"The Goose"

My experience is different. I had two 10 rd mags for my g19 for the past 10 yrs. One was kept fully loaded at all times, I switched every yr or so. Those mags were probably only used 10 times or so at the range, so they were not cycled too much. Now the last round in both mags ftf's.

If you load a new mag and leave it there for 10 yrs maybe its fine, but any kind of cycling and you're better of replacing springs every 5 yrs or so.
jim goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 17:37   #19
seed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim goose View Post
My experience is different. I had two 10 rd mags for my g19 for the past 10 yrs. One was kept fully loaded at all times, I switched every yr or so. Those mags were probably only used 10 times or so at the range, so they were not cycled too much. Now the last round in both mags ftf's.

If you load a new mag and leave it there for 10 yrs maybe its fine, but any kind of cycling and you're better of replacing springs every 5 yrs or so.
The neutered 10 round Glock mags were always kind of twitchy for me. Their design is the problem in my opinion. Standard capacity mags work much better and only require an occasional spring change upon much use. Going to the extra power springs seems to help on occasion when I go to stronger recoil springs and they may last longer as well.
seed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 17:45   #20
barth
six barrels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armanius View Post

The act of repeated compression/decompression is what causes metal fatigue.
Keeping the mag loaded has no ill effect.
The real issue is the ammo itself.
The real enemy of ammo is moisture.

Make sure you prove your gun, magazines and chosen SD ammo are reliable.
And that where you store them is safe and dry.

Last edited by barth; 01-11-2013 at 17:48..
barth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ammo, ammunition, magazine, mags