SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-01-2013, 15:22   #1
Teufel-Texan

Need some guidance on a Glock 20...

Hi gents,

First off, let me say that I am a "glock guy" - having owned/been issued/religiously carried them for going on 20 years, now. However, that has primarily been 9/40 and I've usually been a big advocate of "leave it stock" aside from sights and threaded barrels for the ones with the cans...

I've recently traded for a G20, which I've been on the lookout for for quite some time. It's a lightly used Gen 3. My intentions are to use it as a sidearm while hunting (primarily hogs) as well as a defensive weapon when hiking/camping with the family (realistically talking about hogs/dogs/big cats and the very unlikely small black bear in the areas I frequent - as well as the ever present human threats).

In what little research I've conducted since picking up my 20, I've discovered the the 10mm glocks seem to have more followers who are proponents of leaving the "stock path" behind and using aftermarket guiderods, springs, etc. The 20 I picked up has the factory barrel, but an unknown captive guiderod and what appears to be a buffer. My gut reaction is to replace the guiderod/springs with factory and go from there.

However, I've included photos of the guiderod and buffer to see if I can get some opinions. Any tricks of the trade to tell what pound spring is used? Manufacturer? If so, what are your thoughts about running her how she sits?

Secondly, ammo seems to be a topic with little consensus. I'm solely concerned about:
A] Safety (don't want to touch off a round in the wilderness with my wife/kids and leave them dealing with the aftermath of a KB)
B] Performance on the threats I listed above.

Not terribly concerned about cost and long term battering of the Glock. Realistically, I'll probably shoot a few hundred rounds a year to stay familiar with the bigger frame and caliber, while the rest of my handgunning will be done with my 19's.

Any thoughts? If you wanted to seek out a couple hundred rounds to feed your G20 in the wilderness what would you be buying? DT seems to be the most widely endorsed mfr for this purpose from what I've read.

Thanks for your time!

Here are the pics of the guiderod/spring and buffer:

General Glocking

General Glocking

General Glocking

General Glocking

General Glocking

"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair. Or f'ing beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and GIVE SOME BACK." - Swearengen
Teufel-Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 15:36   #2
dango

First off dump that buffer , it will only degrade and foul things .
Other changes are "personal preferences " Have at it !

Happy New Year !

Glock Meister < excuse my spelling , I got 26lbs recoil stainless.
Really depends on ammo .
Sorry about that , PC male-function , also Bar-sto barrel. A friend and I reload to save $$$. Lead can be shot through a stock barrel but caution , lead build up is not a good thing and tough to clean !

Last edited by dango; 01-01-2013 at 15:49..
dango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 17:09   #3
JBnTX
None

All my Glocks stay stock, including my G20.

I just can't see wasting money to replace perfectly good parts with perfectly good parts. What's the point?

Definitely replace the recoil spring in your new Glock, because you don't know how many rounds have been put through the current one.

There's nothing wrong with the factory recoil spring and guide rod.

Get rid of that buffer, they're worthless.

Last edited by JBnTX; 01-01-2013 at 17:14..
JBnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 19:55   #4
glock2740
Gun lover.

Sending my G20 to CBC for a grip reduction was the only mod I've done to mine.

General Glocking
glock2740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 20:44   #5
Opie 1 Kenopie
Regular Guy

Marine! Rock that Glock stock! Dump the plastic garbage inside and toss that unknown recoil spring system. Get a factory spring and have fun. No worries about KBs etc.

Not sure where you heard that DT is the go-to ammo, but most of us 10mm shooters steer clear of McNutt's fake DT rounds. His stuff ALWAYS comes in significantly UNDER the velocities advertised on the box. Some may not care, but those of us who value integrity shop at Underwoood Ammo for great 10mm fodder that almost always comes in OVER what he advertises on the box. Load em up and feel safe carrying the most powerful Glock on the planet.
Old 01-01-2013, 20:50   #6
dango

^^True that , could probably take down a Dodge Ram with the right ammo........ I just hugged my 20 , I thank you !

Last edited by dango; 01-01-2013 at 20:51..
dango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 21:36   #7
glock2740
Gun lover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie 1 Kenopie View Post
Marine! Rock that Glock stock! Dump the plastic garbage inside and toss that unknown recoil spring system. Get a factory spring and have fun. No worries about KBs etc.

Not sure where you heard that DT is the go-to ammo, but most of us 10mm shooters steer clear of McNutt's fake DT rounds. His stuff ALWAYS comes in significantly UNDER the velocities advertised on the box. Some may not care, but those of us who value integrity shop at Underwoood Ammo for great 10mm fodder that almost always comes in OVER what he advertises on the box. Load em up and feel safe carrying the most powerful Glock on the planet.
The early DT rounds were as hot as advertised, but their stock has dropped with me over the past couple of years. Underwood is THE 10mm ammo place to shop these days for sure.
glock2740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 00:18   #8
4949shooter

Agree with the others go stock!

For Underwood ammo, which is a great product, I would stick with the 180 grain loads. Their 200 grain XTP is loaded very hot, thus with this particular load you might be better off with an aftermarket barrel that gives more support for the case.

The stock Glock barrels are designed for ultimate reliability, and the Underwood 180 grain loads are plenty powerful enough medicine for what you need them for.

Congrats and enjoy!
Old 01-02-2013, 06:44   #9
alwaysshootin

I'm going to go against most here except for the buffer. Get rid of it as fast as you can.

The guide rod you have there is from Lone Wolf Dist. The very same one I use. It does save battering of the firearm, with the correct spring weight installed. Also make for less distance of ejected brass, again with the correct weight spring installed.

I have the 22 LB spring, and it works flawlessly with everything I run through my G20. From hunting hot loads to target light loads, has run perfect. Have even dropped it into my G21, and again runs flawless. My biggest reason for using the heavier spring is so I can find my spent brass, so I can reload it many times. If brass collection wasn't of interest, I'd have no problem running the lighter stock spring set up.

The last thing I would like to mention is DT, is no longer the go to 10MM ammo. underwoodammo.com is! Top quality at about half the price
Old 01-02-2013, 07:19   #10
JakeFromStateFarm
.40 S&W🍫

Congrats on the 10mm.
JakeFromStateFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:08   #11
Teufel-Texan

Fantastic, gents - I really appreciate the insight.

Confirmed my thoughts on the "buffer", it's in the garbage as of this minute.

I went ahead and ordered a factory guiderod/spring and will test it next to the installed (apparently Lone Wolf) for evaluation. Barring any reliability issues I'll go with whichever guiderod/spring combo gives me an acceptable brass ejection pattern (with a strong leaning towards stock, whenever possible). I'm also on the Underwood website as I type, REALLY appreciate the guidance there as well - there are still a ton of "older" posts floating around the web praising DT so you probably saved me some cash on a regrettable purchase there as well.

Thanks again!!!

"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair. Or f'ing beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and GIVE SOME BACK." - Swearengen

Last edited by Teufel-Texan; 01-02-2013 at 10:08..
Teufel-Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:30   #12
Meathead9

I agree, dump the buffer & guide rod setup. I also agree that DT's velocity advertisements are WAY overstated & that Underwood is the better choice overall. That being said, the best woods/hunting round out there is DT's 200gr WFNGC. It will give you about 1150fps out of a G20 (advertised & 1300fps), but that's still plenty of power with a 200gr pill. The wide flat nose of the WFNGC hits like a freight train & cuts a nasty wound channel like a cookie cutter. Even at 1150fps, it has enough inertia to plow through anything big enough to be shooting a 10mm at. The 220gr TC loads are good velocity wise, but the tapered profile doesn't leave much of a wound channel, so they're less than ideal for anything other than pure penetration. I have shot 50+ rounds of DT 200gr WFNGC's through a stock barrel with no leading, so that shouldn't be much of a concern. At almost $1 per round, I don't think you'd want to shoot enough to lead up a barrel before cleaning anyway. I load all my own now, so I don't worry too much about cost per round anymore.
Old 01-02-2013, 19:32   #13
kb18no1

I would go with a heavy grain bullet for woods protection like Double Tap or Buffalo bore. 200gr, 220gr or 230gr should you encounter a black bear.

A more affordable alternative is Underwood which seems to more powerful in many cases. I just don't know about reliability... whether you can trust your life with it or not.
kb18no1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 21:17   #14
offsidewing

glad you dumped the buffer. Your choice on the guide rod and spring - I use both. When I go to the range with my 20, I use a 21# spring and guide rod so I can recover most of my brass from my 'full power' loads. If I shoot lighter loads, I leave the stock set up. My G29 is as stock as the day she was born. I wouldn't call double tap ammo junk, but per youtube videos, it does not exhibit the velocity figures as advertised on the box.

Last edited by offsidewing; 01-02-2013 at 21:19..
offsidewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 21:29   #15
NailShooter

I've had a gen 3 that I've shot extensively for about 10 yrs. Sounds like you want to run some heavy loads. I'd recommend an aftermarket barrel like a KKM and a steel rod with heavier spring. Happy shooting.

Nail
Old 01-03-2013, 07:53   #16
SDGlock23
Glockoholic

The appeal of the aftermarket barrel is better chamber support for warmer loads (extra margin of safety), plus it's easier on the brass if you decide to reload. I would agree that Underwoods ammo is the place to go for 10mm, but do keep in mind that their ammo is warm, and I'm not convinced is within spec. I've weighed charge weights (they use 800x for the most part) and it's definitely above "book" max charges. I'm not saying it isn't safe in the stock bbl, but if you're going to shoot warm loads with any regularity, an aftermarket barrel isn't a bad option. It's a mixed bag, some shoot warm stuff out of their 10mm, but when I had a 10mm, it didn't take no time to see brass bulging like crazy.

Congrats on the 10mm, I'm not convinced it's notably better than the .40 especially on game that's within reason for a pistol, but to each his own.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:09   #17
NailShooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGlock23 View Post
The appeal of the aftermarket barrel is better chamber support for warmer loads (extra margin of safety), plus it's easier on the brass if you decide to reload.....(they use 800x for the most part) .... it didn't take no time to see brass bulging like crazy.

Pretty accurate summation by SD.

A good aftermarket barrel will stop the brass from bulging so you can reload it a few times. This is kind of important as you usually don't find much once fired 10mm brass lying around at the range. I tried most of the recommended powders and found 800X to be the best also. Happy shooting,

Nail
Old 01-03-2013, 13:25   #18
ALBin517

+1 on Underwood. I shot a doe with a Underwood 180 hollow point this fall. Down she went.

Lots of 10mm info can be found at the GlockTalk Ten Ring forum... more 10mm info than most of us will ever need.
Old 01-03-2013, 16:05   #19
arushus
Biggest Member

Check out the 10-ring forum here. Also, good job on chucking that buffer, Ive heard nothing but bad about them. And underwood ammo is the way to go, but when I looked yesterday they were out of all of their 10mm ammo. DT is way below advertised specs these days, and more expensive than underwood. Personally I run several aftermarket parts in my gun and love how my gun shoots. LWD ss recoil rod, ISMI 22lb recoil spring (wish I had gotten a 24lb, even when I shoot weak tulammo brand .40sw through my G20sf it cycles just fine), LWD 10mm barrel, 6lb trigger spring, lwd overtravel stop, Ghost 3.5lb connector, extended slide stop lever, xs big dot night sights, and a reduced power trigger safety plunger spring ...but, that's just me. This gun isnt used for protection often, but even when I do use it for protection the only change I make is I switch back to the stock barrel...Everything else has been completely reliable for around four thousand rounds now.
Spike's Tactical Enhanced CHF 16" Mid-Length M4
These Red Letters Help me find my post!!!
arushus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
10mm, doubletap, g20, glock 20