Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-30-2012, 22:30   #1
ss243b

Recommendations please

Hey guys, my cheap gerber is finally wearing out after 1 year of hard service. I am looking to replace it with a good quality folding knife with a pocket clip, prefferably smooth blade, thin and under a 4" blade. This knife will be used to poke, prod, pry, gut deer, trim fingernails(lol) and any other miscellaneous task you can imagine. I have a hard time keeping this gerber sharp. Would like something very durable and good quality, price range under $100 hopefully, thanks guys

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
ss243b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:06   #2
Baba Louie

Quote:
This knife will be used to poke, prod, pry, gut deer, trim fingernails(lol) and any other miscellaneous task you can imagine.
With the exception of "pry", which most folders don't do to well at, Buck 110, Benchmade's Griptilian or mini grip comes to mind, as do several Spydercos in the less than a Bill category.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13
Baba Louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 16:09   #3
Dugan Fresh

Take a look at the boker plus line. The above mentioned are great knives. I bought a boker 4 years around and have put it thru hell. Holds a good edge and very sturdy.
Dugan Fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:45   #4
Travclem
Lifetime Membership
Badass Member

Benchmade Griptilian or Spyderco Delica/Endura get my vote.

ETA: Don't pry with a knife, knives are for cutting. There are plenty of keychain prybars on the market.

Last edited by Travclem; 01-02-2013 at 10:46..
Travclem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 18:17   #5
syntaxerrorsix
CLM Number 301
Anti-Federalist

The Cutting Edge

The Cutting Edge

Spyderco Delica or Endura with your price point. You get a lot of knife with either choice.

Last edited by syntaxerrorsix; 01-02-2013 at 18:18..
syntaxerrorsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 18:37   #6
Officer's Match
S.R.D. v

Spyderco Tenacious for a good, inexpensive EDC. I prefer the liner lock to a lock back for general use (easier one handed closing). Should be easily attainable under $40.

The Cutting Edge
btw, S.R.D. = Strategic Response Dog

Last edited by Officer's Match; 01-02-2013 at 18:39..
Officer's Match is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 16:26   #7
Tombo 65

I second the nomination for the Spyderco Tenacious. Mine is my EDC knife and I use it for everything: cutting small trees for walking sticks, scraping bark or whatever, whittling, cutting boxes and paper, skinning, minor chopping, and even food preparation if I'm cooking at someone else's house.

Best folder I've ever owned, but I won't cry if it gets lost of broken because it's so dang inexpensive. I think everyone should have at least one of these.
Old 01-09-2013, 13:52   #8
PEC-Memphis
Scottish Member

I like my Kershaw Scallion. I've carried it almost everyday for 6 years and use it for everything - even "light prying". I've had to replace the torsion spring twice though (Kershaw sent me a pack (probably 10 or so) of springs, and a tool to R/R the springs, free of charge.)

I guess they are still made in the US.
Old 01-09-2013, 20:55   #9
Victoriagotagun

The Spyderco Tenacious, Delica, and Endura are all great choices. You should also look into the Spyderco Salt series.

"Glocks are for criminals" -Nick_45
Victoriagotagun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:31   #10
bdcochran

additional information

http://www.amazon.com/gp/top-rated/hi/3413611/ref=zg_tr_nav_hi_5_553232
http://www.amazon.com/gp/top-rated/hi/553232/ref=zg_tr_nav_hi_5_3413611

Very good recommendations by people on Glocktalk. The next steps may be as follows.

1. Amazon.com has user ratings of different knives. You might pay particular attention to the negative comments. If a person looks for a knife for a particular purpose and say the knife is ok, but the sheath gets a bad review, you would want to factor in the cost of a replacement sheath. Oh yeah, I recently received a very decent knife and the restraint was a piece of velcro that was already failing right from the box. So, now the Afghan has a decent kydex sheath. Remember, Amazon will have perhaps 100 or more ratings on a knife.

2. Consider looking at youtube videos on the specific knives under consideration. You might learn that Esee knives can be purchased without a sheath and so you avoid spending the money on a factory sheath if you want something different.

3. For many people, the carry system/sheath may be critical. Yes, I know of Benchmade folders and other folders being carried in Benchmade horizontal/vertical option sheaths. Make sure that you consider the carry options and if you don't seem to find a decent carry system, ask the vendor or the manufacturer for a recommendation.
bdcochran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:04   #11
Unistat

Another vote for the Benchmade Griptillian.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:32   #12
bdcochran

ok

Make it another vote for the Griptillian.
bdcochran is offline   Reply With Quote