Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-26-2012, 09:18   #1
Kegs
Ol 8 fingers ;)

20 year military vet farmer needs your help!

This friend of ours is retired from the military, but he's not retired from defending the constitution and he's not retired from making the U.S. a better place.

Please help him if you can!

Mark has a family farm in Michigan and is currently embattled in a legal fight with the state of Michigan DNR who came out last year and claimed pigs of certain types (the same types raised on farms in many cases), even if in captivity and being raised for meat are "feral".

If you don't know about this situation yet, I'll explain it in a nutshell: The government is trying to control our right to produce food for ourselves.

Mark doesn't think this is a good idea and neither do I.

If I were rich, I'd hire an attorney to spin the DNR on its head, but I can't because I'm not. I know there are people on this forum though that are of the right mindset and finance who can help support our right to farm.

Please have a look at his video and if you can, help out!

I am in no way affiliated with my friend's farm. I just recognize the kind of uphill battle he is fighting, believe it is just and if spreading the word is all I can do to help, that's what I'll do.

His video pretty much explains most of what is going on is right here:

Thanks for your consideration,
Kegs
Old 12-26-2012, 09:50   #2
lunarspeak

i was interested untill he started talking about soviet blockades and blah blah blah.

shooting and eating a feral hog is one thing, trying to process and sell hogs thru slaughterhouses is another..feral pigs are known to have alot more diseases then domestic pigs..around NC we are usualy taught about Pseudorabies
and how they can infect domestic pigs,horses,cows, even cats and dogs

and Swine brucellosis that can spread to humans

im glad the processing plant refused his bussiness..i wouldnt want feral hogs that have never had any antibiotic shots being slaughterd in the same place as the pork i buy..

i feel bad for the guy but peoples health is more important then his bank account.

Last edited by lunarspeak; 12-26-2012 at 09:56..
lunarspeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:04   #3
dango

I agree with Lunarspeak but , Corps like "MONSANTO" and the Gov. got to step out of the picture and let farmers be farmers again ! I don't even know what I'm eating anymore ! Everything is "Franken Food" and other than losing $$$$ , these people don't care anything about the farmers or us !

When I buy veggies at the store and can not get the seed to reproduce , what's wrong with that picture ?

If things were on the up -n- up , you'd see a "Skull and Cross-Bones" Icon on most of the stuff we eat !
dango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:06   #4
ray9898

I don't see the outrage.
ray9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:29   #5
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray9898 View Post
I don't see the outrage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irZelZxvElI
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:09   #6
Lee-online
Mul-ti-pass

But are they feral hogs? Are they just being classified as feral, kinda like our AR15 being classified as assault weapons.

If the .gov had a case they wouldnt use the age old tactic of stalling and pushing back court dates until the small guy goes broke.
I have a friend who farms beef, a small operation and he wonders why its worth it with all the cost and regulation.

—Thomas Jefferson
Lee-online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:23   #7
lunarspeak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-online View Post
But are they feral hogs? Are they just being classified as feral, kinda like our AR15 being classified as assault weapons.

If the .gov had a case they wouldnt use the age old tactic of stalling and pushing back court dates until the small guy goes broke.
I have a friend who farms beef, a small operation and he wonders why its worth it with all the cost and regulation.
really..you had to brig assault rifles into a thread about feral hogs?

and if it was your family that got sick from tainted meat you would know the cost was worth it.

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/news/sour...ered-go/nGtb2/

i ate here at the above restaurant before this happend
Old 12-27-2012, 06:52   #8
Kegs
Ol 8 fingers ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-online View Post

Funny, because your comment is exactly spot on.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:25   #9
Adjuster

The guy seems to have a lot of issues going on. Does he belong to the Michigan Militia? I get the feeling he is on some government lists.

/
Adjuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:16   #10
sjfrellc
CLM Number 92
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
If you don't know about this situation yet, I'll explain it in a nutshell: The government is trying to control our right to produce food for ourselves.

Kegs,
While I disagree with the above quote, just because you asked I donated $50 via paypal just now. Hopefully he can use it for a couple days of feed. He seems like a good man in a bind. And I would support farmers and hobby farmers rights and hope they don't go broke. I would agree that they should be allowed to be slaughtered at a processor. I don't see the harm and it would be a win/win situation. He should get rid of all of his pigs and raise domestic pigs if feasible.

That being said, I disagree because is really a simple matter of the DNR keeping Russian boar out of Michigan. In the court documents it said he admitted to having 3 russian boars (which I assume he has disposed of, right?) in adition to the Mangalitsas. Once this happened I don't think the DNR under the Invasive Species Order had much of a choice in the matter.If he had a time machine, I'm sure it would be better to have gone back and breed domestic hogs. Can the Mangalitsas be clear of the ISO definition as feral? I doubt it and it doesn't seem to be much of a conspiracy rather than agricultural prudence.
sjfrellc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 14:07   #11
lunarspeak

while im not trying to judge the guy im starting to wonder if he got into this situation by trying to cut costs....im wondering if instead of buying domestic pigs, all he did was capture feral hogs whitch cost him little if not nothing.

and if he cant afford feed then im guessing he cant afford a vet or even the medicines or antbiotics that most farms have.
not meat i would eat or even want being processed thru the same equipment "safe" meat was

this guy needs to do something else...even if he decided to raise safe swine,he would spend 10's of thousands just to do a propper clean up of his farm..he would have to dissinfect all his equipment etc etc etc. move all his outside pens..all the people on the farm would need new footwear and work gloves....just a huge amount of work and money.
Old 12-26-2012, 15:39   #12
sjfrellc
CLM Number 92
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarspeak View Post
this guy needs to do something else...
That's for sure, rather than "trying to fight the government".
Feral hog prevention overrides the alleged infringement on rights to raise hogs he has chosen in the past.
sjfrellc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 16:12   #13
Kegs
Ol 8 fingers ;)

I probably took for granted what I know about this situation. The mention of companies like "Monsanto" is on the right track. The DNR based their directive on the concept that an animal is "feral" based on phenotype. This concept is not logical. The definition of Feral is based wholly on incaptivity, not based on a description or appearance! Some of us wonder if the larger purpose of this directive has nothing to do with invasive species problems or agricultural losses (wild hogs are not a serious problem here in Michigan), but to bring the GMO piggies to market. There is more to this, I'm sure. Hopefully, we'll find out in the process. I think some of you all have a good suspicion of what's going on here. I'll give you my opinion; it's got nothing to do with biological health or diseases of animals...I think Mark is doing us a favor by questioning authority when decisions are made by that authority, are not based on logic.

Last edited by Kegs; 12-26-2012 at 16:16..
Kegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 16:54   #14
Kegs
Ol 8 fingers ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarspeak View Post
while im not trying to judge the guy im starting to wonder if he got into this situation by trying to cut costs....im wondering if instead of buying domestic pigs, all he did was capture feral hogs whitch cost him little if not nothing.

Exactly the opposite, these were being bred into high quality hogs for high quality specialty markets as I understand it. Again, these are not feral hogs running loose in the wild, these are breeds that are traded on the private market.

Quote:
and if he cant afford feed then im guessing he cant afford a vet or even the medicines or antbiotics that most farms have.
not meat i would eat or even want being processed thru the same equipment "safe" meat was

this guy needs to do something else...even if he decided to raise safe swine,he would spend 10's of thousands just to do a propper clean up of his farm..he would have to dissinfect all his equipment etc etc etc. move all his outside pens..all the people on the farm would need new footwear and work gloves....just a huge amount of work and money.

It's a tough market to be in when the government interferes with it based on ?
Old 12-27-2012, 09:34   #15
nmk

I'll support Michigan DNR on this one.
nmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:34   #16
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
NRA Life Member

I'll support DNR here as well.........feral hog have ruined Georgia,
Texas and many other states.

And I HATE solicitations.........
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:08   #17
lunarspeak

keggs...be blessed you havent got a problem with these yet...i use to run around georgia with this old girl and the farmers there beg people to come kill these things..the DNR is prob not going to be able to stop this epidemic but they can atleast slow it down.

the needs of the many is more important then the needs of the few....your friend needs to rethink his stand on this..he is basicly saying that his need to make money is more important then anyone elses need to make money and to heck with public health laws..

he is not going to gain public sympathy this way