Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-25-2012, 12:09   #1
ithaca_deerslayer

If the police need it, I need it.

My own my mother, on a Christmas phone call, asks my opinion of assault weapons. After explaining to her that there is no such thing and that they just look like army guns, and describing the difference between automatic army guns versus semi-automatic civilian guns. . .

She asks, "Why do you need one of these so-called assault weapons anyway?!"

My final convincing response to her was, "Why do the police need them?" To defend themselves from bad guys, she said. "Well, that's the same reason I need them." Oh, that's true, she said, as if a light bulb had gone on.

Yup, I continued, the same bad guys the police face are the same bad guys any civilian might need to fight off. Whatever the police need for defense, I need too.

Please feel free to pass this on: If the police need "assault weapons" and high capacity magazines, we need them too

Edited to add:
Obvioulsly it should be undertood the context is in when the bad guys come looking for us, and not about us civilians going out looking for bad guys

Last edited by ithaca_deerslayer; 12-25-2012 at 12:27..
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 12:11   #2
BodymoreMurderland

Many police departments do not issue or allow rifles.
BodymoreMurderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 13:24   #3
RMTactical
CLM Number
www.AR15pro.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by BodymoreMurderland View Post
Yes they do.

Due to inflation, my $.02 no longer matters.
RMTactical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 13:30   #4
BodymoreMurderland

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMTactical View Post
Yes they do.
No many departments don't including the 8th largest police dept. in the country which I work for.
BodymoreMurderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 13:35   #5
RMTactical
CLM Number
www.AR15pro.net

Quote:
No many departments don't including the 8th largest police dept. in the country which I work for.
Not one officer has a rifle? I find that hard to believe. No SWAT team?

Due to inflation, my $.02 no longer matters.
RMTactical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:32   #6
stevelyn
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BodymoreMurderland

Many police departments do not issue or allow rifles
Quote:
I guess it would suck to be on your department. Of course after looking at your grid coordinates, it's not surprising they don't allow you to have rifles.

My department has rifles and we carry them in electra-lock racks with our shotguns. Most of the agencies in AK have them.

Of course we have to buy our own. They aren't mandatory, but we do highly encourage officers to obtain and carry them.

I put the officers through a patrol rifle class (I'm also a police firearms instructor) and we train and qualify with them the same as our other firearms.

We pretty much use our ARs exclusively on our serious calls. It's rare the shotguns come out of the rack anymore except for wildlife calls.

With frangible ammo such as Hornady TAP, the rifle is much more precise and safer to use than a shotgun with a bead sight, especially when your distances open a little bit. Plus the rifles have holographic or red dot sights making them faster to pick up and use in low light and Streamlight TLRs mounted on the rails.

In addition, due to my grid coordinates and the big furry wildlife issues we have to confront from May to October, I had to come up with a policy regarding the training, use and carrriage of big game rifles and the ammunition for them. Training isn't really an issue in this area for the most part because most of us already have a lot of experience with hunting rifles and killing stuff. The vast majority of training I have to do is changing the mindset of just grabbing any off-the-shelf junk ammuntion and loading up. I try to stress the importance of using high-end ammo with premium bullets on DLP bear kills. Of course reloads are allowed and the .30-06 is the minimum caliber.

One of the guys carries either a Marlin 1895 in .45-70 with max book handloads or a Ruger Haweye in .35 Whelen Improved. Another uses a .30-06, one a .375 Win. and I ocillate between a Win. M-70 in .375 H&H that I call the sewer pipe and a .30-06.
Usually sufferers of paraphilic infantilism are proud of their condition. Kinda like being a liberal. Your mental flaws are there for the entire world to see, and you're damned proud of it. - tank_monkey
stevelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:52   #7
Bruce M

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelyn View Post
We pretty much use our ARs exclusively on our serious calls. It's rare the shotguns come out of the rack anymore except for wildlife calls.

What kind of wildlife? Why is the shotgun the choice for wildlife? Is it more reliable for stopping them/it?
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 16:42   #8
AZson

Quote:
But their swat teams use them so we need them.
Old 12-25-2012, 17:21   #9
Caver 60

Several nations with extremely strict gun control have sky high rates of gun violence. Old Mexico comes to mind. Don't give me that developed nations stuff.

Also Japan is a completely different culture than our country. That might also have something to do with their low rate of gun violence. My Japanese daughter in law says their version of the Mafia has guns, but they don't use them as often.

Just my opinion.
Caver 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 17:48   #10
norton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caver 60 View Post
Several nations with extremely strict gun control have sky high rates of gun violence. Old Mexico comes to mind. Don't give me that developed nations stuff.

Also Japan is a completely different culture than our country. That might also have something to do with their low rate of gun violence. My Japanese daughter in law says their version of the Mafia has guns, but they don't use them as often.

Just my opinion.
70 years ago the Japanese people were convinced their emperor was a God.
70 years ago their military thought sneak attacking the Americans at Pearl Harbor was a good idea.
Japan is currently described as one of the most racist nations in the world.
We really want to be adopt their philosophy?

Last edited by norton; 12-25-2012 at 17:49..
norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 17:54   #11
norton

To the Op
Your argument is about as valid as any others I have heard.
I had the same "discussion" with a fomer Marine. His argument, was that Assault weapons are only used to kill people. That no civilian should be allowed to own one.
My argument was that many of the rifles/handguns in use today-originally designed for military use- are now responsibly used by millions of gun owners for target practice, hunting game.
He was not persuaded. Neither was I.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:50   #12
Wil Ufgood
CLM Number 263
GTDS #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by norton View Post
70 years ago the Japanese people were convinced their emperor was a God.
70 years ago their military thought sneak attacking the Americans at Pearl Harbor was a good idea.
Japan is currently described as one of the most racist nations in the world.
We really want to be adopt their philosophy?
Japanese girls are "Hawt"
Old 12-26-2012, 03:44   #13
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caver 60 View Post

Just my opinion.
Again, Much of Europe...

We have actual results vs. your opinion on how that would play out here.

I actually agree with you but what you fail to see is, to an on the fence party, who is looking at results vs. the feelings of pro gun people, well, we look like a damned fool in the eyes of most people.

In the face of facts, your untested opinions dont mean much to most people. You must chew on this truth no matter how you feel about the issue, and in particular, how you feel about people who dont see it your way.

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

I cross my heart and hope not to die. Swallow evil, ride the sky. Lose myself in a crowded room. You fool, you fool, it will be here soon
Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:37   #14
Patchman
Florist

Here's something interesting.

Quote:
Spengler also unloaded rounds into the car of John Ritter, an off-duty police officer, who parked his car in the line of fire. Ritter was wounded by shrapnel from the fusillade.

And thank YOU for being perfect, all the time, every time. Go forth and reproduce. We need more of you.
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:27   #15
writwing

I spoke with a leo from a large CT city that just finished doing long shifts in Newtown. During our discussion he flat out told me that he and many fellow officers WILL NOT go into a building to disarm a criminal. They will not risk their life for a Bushmaster.

We need rifles to protect us from the globins that strike fear into a unionized pd.

ps. I do not own a rifle of any type.

Last edited by writwing; 12-27-2012 at 11:27..
writwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 13:43   #16
coastal4974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
Again, Much of Europe...

We have actual results vs. your opinion on how that would play out here.

I actually agree with you but what you fail to see is, to an on the fence party, who is looking at results vs. the feelings of pro gun people, well, we look like a damned fool in the eyes of most people.

In the face of facts, your untested opinions dont mean much to most people. You must chew on this truth no matter how you feel about the issue, and in particular, how you feel about people who dont see it your way.
That fact might be explained by the U.S. having such a high percentage of kids living in a single parent (mostly mothers only) household. Over 70% of black kids. I remember reading that if you took single parent childhood out of the equation, the prison population would be equal among whites and blacks. It would make an interesting study.

That might not be what the liberal would want to hear.
Old 12-27-2012, 13:38   #17
mack0311

Quote:
As with anything else, some people are slow to change. The majority have come around to seeing the versatility and increased benefit of a patrol rifle over a shotgun. Both have their place though.
mack0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 20:59   #18
Gwalk

Many do.
Gwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:09   #19
spcwes

Quote:
No statistic I can find numbers on but all departments I know people in or, know of or work with do allow or issue rifles and the largest departments in my area require they be carried at all time in the vehicle. Some of them are select fire as well.

Quote:
Yes many departments issue rifles or allow the carry of rifles. Because your department does not is not the deciding factor on others that do. And whats funny is I am pretty sure your department uses rifles whether your patrol officers have them or not.....
"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American perception that each individual is accountable for his/her actions." -Ronald Reagan-

Last edited by spcwes; 01-01-2013 at 10:20..
spcwes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 12:17   #20
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

I dont disagree, but it is an argument with a lot of holes in it.

Do you need handcuffs? Do you need the ability to pull people over? Do you need to wear body armor all day? Do you need the legal obligation to act in all crimes you see? ...and a bunch of other things.

Lets be honest, the Police, Doctors, Dentists, Locksmiths...and a lot of other professions do things you cant and probably shouldnt.

Again, I agree with you but poeple on all sides focus on the guns. When was the last time you wore body armor all day long? When was the last time you went to a driving skills class? When was the last time you went to a class to learn how to deescalate violent situations with your words? (Point being here, again, people tend to focus on the guns when there is so much far more likely that they neglect)

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

I cross my heart and hope not to die. Swallow evil, ride the sky. Lose myself in a crowded room. You fool, you fool, it will be here soon
Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 12:23   #21
FullClip
CLM Number 171
NRA Benefactor

Quote:

................Do you need handcuffs? ....................
Only if she's in an especially "naughty" mood!!

Sorry...couldn't help myself...
Old 12-25-2012, 12:36   #22
shotgunred
reloading nut

Quote:
Again, I agree with you but poeple on all sides focus on the guns. When was the last time you wore body armor all day long? When was the last time you went to a driving skills class? When was the last time you went to a class to learn how to deescalate violent situations with your words? (Point being here, again, people tend to focus on the guns when there is so much far more likely that they neglect)
When was the last time you wore body armor all day long?
never but then again statistically most cops never get shot at or have to shoot there guns in their careers. So you don't need it either.

When was the last time you went to a driving skills
class?

Last week

When was the last time you went to a class to learn how to deescalate violent situations with your words?

October.
and motivated by pride and vanity.
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 12:51   #23
FireForged
Millenium #3936

I think the whole point that RED was making is that joe citizen could quite possibly face the very same criminal that the police feel a AR15 is needed to defend against. Sure, there is a whole lot greater risk when someone faces criminals for a living but the point is still valid. Most people feel a strong obligation to defend themselves which was the singular point.
Old 12-25-2012, 12:54   #24
Kingarthurhk
Isaiah 53:4-9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireForged View Post
I think the whole point that RED was making is that joe citizen could quite possibly face the very same criminal that the police feel a AR15 is needed to defend against. Sure, there is a whole lot greater risk when someone faces criminals for a living but the point is still valid. Most people feel a strong obligation to defend themselves which was the singular point.
But, in my opinion the AR-15 should have the fun button, not a ban on the fun button, otherwise the who intent of the 2A is moot.

The AR-15 is a Military Weapon adopted by LEOs and civilians alike.

So, the OP, missed the point entirely.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:16   #25
Razorsharp

Send a message via AIM to Razorsharp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingarthurhk View Post
The AR-15 is a Military Weapon adopted by LEOs and civilians alike.

So, the OP, missed the point entirely.
The AR is the civilian version of a Military weapon. "A"s are for civilian use. "M"s are for military. Who missed the point?