GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-12-2012, 13:25   #1
IndianaMatt

Lifetime PC user - just picked up first MacBook. DONE WITH PC.

I grew up with the viruses, bluescreens, and disposable hardware of PC. This year, I had enough and I joined the cult of Apple with a new MacBook Pro.

What a machine! I cannot see how I will ever go back. And the Apple store was the exact opposite of going to Best Buy: a great retail experience; no pressure; no noise; no warranties to buy - in an out in literally 15 minutes.

Look at my baby:

The Okie Corral

[not my pic tho]
IndianaMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 13:36   #2
Chesafreak

Congratulations!
Chesafreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 13:38   #3
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

Fanboy! LOL

Enjoy. Go online and find/learn the shortcuts and the "ways" Mac does stuff vs. PC. The good news is every 4 years you don't have to re-learn a new OS when MS decides to completely redesign Windows.
Old 12-15-2012, 20:06   #4
JuneyBooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis in MA View Post
Fanboy! LOL

Enjoy. Go online and find/learn the shortcuts and the "ways" Mac does stuff vs. PC. The good news is every 4 years you don't have to re-learn a new OS when MS decides to completely redesign Windows.
I would agree. I bought a new pc with windows 8 and I absolutely hate it. XP was much better. I had an Ibook years ago...should have stuck with Mac.
JuneyBooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 20:21   #5
NMGlocker
BOOM headshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneyBooney View Post
I would agree. I bought a new pc with windows 8 and I absolutely hate it. XP was much better. I had an Ibook years ago...should have stuck with Mac.
I really don't understand why everyone's stressing over Win8.
Other than the slide out menu bars in the screen corners and the start screen instead of a start button/program tree it's identical to Win7.

Just pin your favorite programs to the start screen and/or the quick launch bar on the desktop and you're off to the races.

That's the way I ran XP and Win7, so Win8 took me all of 15 minutes to learn and customize.

Last edited by NMGlocker; 12-15-2012 at 20:22..
NMGlocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 21:38   #6
JuneyBooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMGlocker View Post
I really don't understand why everyone's stressing over Win8.
Other than the slide out menu bars in the screen corners and the start screen instead of a start button/program tree it's identical to Win7.

Just pin your favorite programs to the start screen and/or the quick launch bar on the desktop and you're off to the races.

That's the way I ran XP and Win7, so Win8 took me all of 15 minutes to learn and customize.
I had windows xp and loved it. I have corneal ectasia and that makes ork difficult for me so now I have to actually think about this system..so i hate it. I liked using the old stuff..the new stuff is for notebooks and phones..I am using it for lawsuits..etc. So how do I get used to this real fast? Do you have any idea if my old Wordperfect 10 will work on windows 8 or which version do I have to buy? Thanks

Last edited by JuneyBooney; 12-15-2012 at 21:39..
JuneyBooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:06   #7
NMGlocker
BOOM headshot

Quote:
I had windows xp and loved it. I have corneal ectasia and that makes ork difficult for me so now I have to actually think about this system..so i hate it. I liked using the old stuff..the new stuff is for notebooks and phones..I am using it for lawsuits..etc. So how do I get used to this real fast? Do you have any idea if my old Wordperfect 10 will work on windows 8 or which version do I have to buy? Thanks
Wordperfect? I haven't used Wordperfect since the 486 days.
Wow, you are a Luddite.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:15   #8
LL6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMGlocker View Post
Wordperfect? I haven't used Wordperfect since the 486 days.
Wow, you are a Luddite.
You are awfully quick to call names when he mentions why he is resisting change.
Quote:
After a quick Google it looks like Corel's WordPerfect X6 is their latest release. Maybe email them about compatibility with Win 8 or DL their trial of X6.
Old 12-12-2012, 13:44   #9
DGreno
Silver Membership
FF/Paramedic

Welcome to the club!
Old 12-12-2012, 13:49   #10
fgutie35

Is it Intel based shipset? If yes, then you have not gone far from PC. You will still get viruses and vulnerabilities.
Old 12-12-2012, 17:39   #11
.264 magnum
CLM Number 121
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgutie35 View Post
Is it Intel based shipset? If yes, then you have not gone far from PC. You will still get viruses and vulnerabilities.
Errr...... not even close to correct.
Old 12-12-2012, 13:49   #12
hooligan74

Just don't try to upgrade the memory, hard drive or video card down the road....
hooligan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 14:25   #13
IndianaMatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan74 View Post
Just don't try to upgrade the memory, hard drive or video card down the road....
I don't keep any big programs or games; the machine is mostly for web browsing, Word, and a few photos here and there.

256 GB is plenty, no?
Old 12-12-2012, 18:31   #14
airmotive
Tin Kicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaMatt View Post
I don't keep any big programs or games; the machine is mostly for web browsing, Word, and a few photos here and there.

256 GB is plenty, no?
Soooo...what you actually needed was a $150 Chromebook?

As I've often admitted here, my wife is ALL Mac (27"iMac, Macbook Pro, iPad 4, iPad Mini, iPhone5) I'm all PC and Blackberry (Blackberry because it's free from work).

So far (year years in) the computing stress level is definately higher on her end. As well as expense and repairs. So I really don't feel the iLove. The iPad mini...I'm a huge fan. It's what the iPad should have always been. The rest iStuff....meh.

Last edited by airmotive; 12-12-2012 at 18:35..
airmotive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 22:53   #15
robrides85

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaMatt View Post

256 GB is plenty, no?

+

What's wrong with you people? Dude drops a couple grand on a new toy and that's your response?
lol. A couple grand is some serious overkill for web browsing, photos, and a word processor. Typing this on a MBPro, but fiance's Dad's Mac Mini recently bit the dust (replaced with a year-old iMac), about a year after the family's 7-year old Macbook also bit the dust. Lower your expectations - you'll be happier in the end run.

Last edited by robrides85; 12-12-2012 at 23:30..
robrides85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 23:10   #16
Durden

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrides85 View Post
lol. A couple grand is some serious overkill for web browsing, photos, and a word processor. Typing this on a MBPro, but fiance's Dad's Mac Mini recently bit the dust (replaced with a year-old iMac), about a year after a 7-year old Macbook also bit the dust. Lower your expectations - you'll be happier in the end run.
Exactly.

That's why I said earlier in this thread that I'd spring for a MB Pro, for example, if I was doing a ton of graphic intense applications for my business or something.

Apple's laptops and desktops have never been less distinguishable from PCs, which is to be expected given that they use the same Intel chipsets now, except that Apple's OS is demonstrably worse than Windows.

For 95% of the population, a $300 Black Friday or Cyber Monday Acer laptop will do everything they'd ever need to do, and more. Spend $700+ on a Windows laptop, which is still only 38% of what a MB cost, and you'll really be flying.
Durden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 23:27   #17
IndianaMatt

Quote:
lol. A couple grand is some serious overkill for web browsing, photos, and a word processor. Typing this on a MBPro, but fiance's Dad's Mac Mini recently bit the dust (replaced with a year-old iMac), about a year after a 7-year old Macbook also bit the dust. Lower your expectations - you'll be happier in the end run.
The Okie Corral
Old 12-12-2012, 23:46   #18
Harper

Quote:
lol. A couple grand is some serious overkill for web browsing, photos, and a word processor. Typing this on a MBPro, but fiance's Dad's Mac Mini recently bit the dust (replaced with a year-old iMac), about a year after the family's 7-year old Macbook also bit the dust. Lower your expectations - you'll be happier in the end run.
No kidding. It's kind of a silly argument - arguing about which computer you can buy off the shelf is better. If you really cared about having the most badass computer you would build it yourself. It's like getting heated arguing which is better, a Sentra or an Accord, which probably is used mostly to drive to Trader Joe's and pick kids up from school. There are 1,000+ hp sports cars out there, relax, take it down a notch.
Harper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 00:15   #19
IndianaMatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harper View Post
No kidding. It's kind of a silly argument - arguing about which computer you can buy off the shelf is better. If you really cared about having the most badass computer you would build it yourself. It's like getting heated arguing which is better, a Sentra or an Accord, which probably is used mostly to drive to Trader Joe's and pick kids up from school. There are 1,000+ hp sports cars out there, relax, take it down a notch.
Right, but if you happen to be in the market for a new family car, then the "Accord v. Sentra" discussion is very relevant to your interests.

As was the "Mac v. PC" debate for me last week.
Old 12-12-2012, 14:56   #20
mdmountainman

Quote:

I am typing this on a mid 2010 macbook pro that I upgraded recently to 8gb of ram and put in a 512 crucial SSD.

Seems to be working fine for me...
mdmountainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:11   #21
hooligan74

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmountainman View Post
I am typing this on a mid 2010 macbook pro that I upgraded recently to 8gb of ram and put in a 512 crucial SSD.

Yep, mid 2010 production is A-OK. The new laptops are sealed with some sort of epoxy so you can't get to any of the individual components after you get the case open, from what I understand.

Last edited by hooligan74; 12-13-2012 at 12:23..
hooligan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 14:02   #22
badcard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmountainman View Post

Yeah, same here, upgraded my 2009 Macbook Pro 500 HDD to an 256 SSD. I don't know of any Windows laptops that have upgrade-able video cards in them these days.

(I work in our company's helpdesk supporting Win-based computers and am so burnt out on Windows machines I will never buy another one.)

Last edited by badcard; 12-15-2012 at 14:04..
badcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 14:38   #23
LL6

The Okie Corral
Old 12-13-2012, 05:23   #24
eracer
Where's my EBT?

Quote:
What PC owners really do that? By the time the hardware you bought three years ago is obsoleted by the software you bought yesterday, you need a new motherboard anyway.
Matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration; we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death. Life is a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. And now...the weather! ---- Bill Hicks
eracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:51   #25
syntaxerrorsix
CLM Number 301
Anti-Federalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by eracer View Post
What PC owners really do that? By the time the hardware you bought three years ago is obsoleted by the software you bought yesterday, you need a new motherboard anyway.
I've upgrade the RAM in every computer I've ever owned. I don't know of or have any software that's obsolete so I'm not sure what you are referring to. A new motherboard? Uh...ok.

Last edited by syntaxerrorsix; 12-13-2012 at 08:53..
syntaxerrorsix is offline   Reply With Quote