SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Closed Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 04:04   #1
coleslaw

Kicking Tires On A 1911 Pistol... Thank God for Glocks

So I don't know if RECOIL is still popular with Glocktalk folks after the Jerry Tsai comments, but I still like to read it.

Anyway the last issue of the year came out and there is a article title "Kicking Tires On A 1911 Pistol" in which the author helps potential buyers of a 1911 pistol what to be weary of when buying used. I think the article was supposed to excite the reader about buying/owning a 1911 but all it did for me was scare me out of a 1911.

The problems/issues that the 1911 is plagued with has made me realize how blessed I am that I own Glocks and HK's. It made me realize truly how much the polymer pistols have changed the game. The author listed problems such as cracked frames, cracked grip panels, loose plunger tubes, barrel bushing cracks, and even damaged extractors and slide stops are the norm. The author mentioned that these are all common problems with 1911's... Things that should be expected with the 1911 pistol. And this is too throw on top of the more vigorous maintenence you must do to a 1911 to keep it running as effecient as a dirty Glock. I've never owned a 1911, but I've always wanted too just because the cool factor, beauty and history but I think I'll stick with my low maintenence polymer guns.

I know the 1911 guys can get real butt hurt about any bad talk about the 1911 so I'll just apologize now and get it out of the way. I think James Yeager said it best with 1911 guys... "A 1911 that works correctly is just as rare as a Glock that doesn't"... Now let the hate speech rain down on me.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:34   #2
3rdgen40
.45 fanatic

Quote:
I've never owned a 1911
Obviously...
Old 12-08-2012, 05:38   #3
onebigelf

I own a combat commander that I was given when I was 16. Still on the original frame and slide, I'm on my 3rd or 4th barrel. I have probably replaced the extractor and spring 5-6 times and I've replaced and silver soldered the tube once. It's a solid, reliable pistol. Which sits in the safe and goes to the range with me. I carry my G19.

John
Old 12-08-2012, 06:27   #4
Wetrudgeon

slaw:
No doubt the polymer pistols ushered in a new era in firearms. However, we think the popularity of the 1911A1 is evidence that it is still an excellent option. We feel safe in offering that for a large percentage of those who own copies of the 1911A1, sentiment and history have little to do with it.

We own three 1911A1 pistols, two of which have lots of "miles" and years on them; and we have never experienced any of the issues you mention. That is not to say that there are no problems with the various 1911A1 models extant, but we think more is made of these than the facts support. We also respecctfully observe that the plastic pistols are not immune from issues either.

Get yourself a 1911A1. Millions of dead Germans, Japanese, Italians, Koreans, and Viet Namese cannot be wrong.

Our $.02.

We trudge on.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:31   #5
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetrudgeon View Post
slaw:
No doubt the polymer pistols ushered in a new era in firearms. However, we think the popularity of the 1911A1 is evidence that it is still an excellent option. We feel safe in offering that for a large percentage of those who own copies of the 1911A1, sentiment and history have little to do with it.

We own three 1911A1 pistols, two of which have lots of "miles" and years on them; and we have never experienced any of the issues you mention. That is not to say that there are no problems with the various 1911A1 models extant, but we think more is made of these than the facts support. We also respecctfully observe that the plastic pistols are not immune from issues either.

Get yourself a 1911A1. Millions of dead Germans, Japanese, Italians, Koreans, and Vietnamese cannot be wrong.

Our $.02.

We trudge on.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:15   #6
willieH

Prior to the 1911 pistol, the military used revolvers, one being a .38 double action. During combat in the Philippines (Spanish-American War) the ineffective stopping power of the .38 cal was regrettable proven by the Moro tribesmen during close quarter fighting. The military reactivated older retired stocks in .45 cal that could stop an attacker.

It was this battlefield background that prompted US military testing and subsequent requirement of sidearms using the 45. Improvements in gunpowder and auto-loading pistol designs were incorporated into the Army's 1906 testing. The rest is history as the Browning designed Colt pistol was officially accepted by the Army in 1911. The M1911 was the first reliable auto pistol of it's day and proved is service in countless battles until the Beretta M9 replacement in 1985.

A weapon of historical and service longevity is going to have a significant following with good reason. The 1911 has not been a static relic, design improvements and model offerings have made a remarkable handgun with enduring popularity.

Rest easy my friend, it's reasonable to use caution when purchasing a used 1911. Having a check list of potential issues to evaluate pistols of unknown origin/condition along with user modification in a design that's been copied within it's hundred-plus years of production is a good thing. I suspect that when the G17 reaches these ages there will be a similar, albeit smaller list of concerns.

The 1911 of it's day was as revolutionary as was the 1982 Glock Model 17. No doubt, innovations and progressive technological enhancements will produce the next "revolutionary" weapon that will have the Glock crowd either changing and/or clinging to a nostalgic remembrance of the good ol' days.

I like the 1911 for what it is and I do own Glock, Beretta, Sig and Ruger; each have unique qualities and none perfect.

Last edited by willieH; 12-08-2012 at 11:50..
Old 12-08-2012, 06:19   #7
bac1023

Sounds like you need to gain some real world knowledge before posting. Why post when you're obviously clueless of the subject matter?

Yeager is a moron and I've sent him some choice words on a few occasions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by bac1023; 12-08-2012 at 06:19..
Old 12-08-2012, 07:51   #8
jakebrake
cracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post

Bac, you owe morons everywhere an apoplogy for lumping him in with them. even morons have standards.

as for the op. no, you've obviously never owned a 1911. if you are basing a purchase on an article from recoil magazine, perhaps you shouldn't.

as one astute glocktalker put it, it's fhm magazine with guns.

Last edited by jakebrake; 12-08-2012 at 07:54..
Old 12-08-2012, 07:57   #9
Rally Vincent
Bipolar

Quote:
I know the 1911 guys can get real butt hurt about any bad talk about the 1911 so I'll just apologize now and get it out of the way. I think James Yeager said it best with 1911 guys... "A 1911 that works correctly is just as rare as a Glock that doesn't"... Now let the hate speech rain down on me.
James Yeager? Who gives a crap what that sack of trash said. Someone needs to slap that sideways ball cap off his head.
Niners Club Member - #196
1911 Club Member - #001
"All evil comes from the old.They grow fat on ideas and young men die of them."
Old 12-08-2012, 15:08   #10
Bob Hafler

Quote:
Sounds like you need to gain some real world knowledge before posting. Why post when you're obviously clueless of the subject matter?

I was thinking along the same lines. Why post when there so clueless and close minded.
Old 12-09-2012, 15:37   #11
RJ's Guns

[QUOTE=bac1023;19712158]Sounds like you need to gain some real world knowledge before posting. Why post when you're obviously clueless of the subject matter?

QUOTE]

This is a consistent and persistent situation on this forum. Perhaps it is because I am old, but my overall impression is that a majority of individuals posting on this forum are inexperienced and have little, if any relative frame of reference. I am astounded how often the threads deal with such elementary issues that I (incorrectly) assume are common knowledge and repeatedly it seems to be a case of; “the blind leading the blind.”

I find that individuals continually bloviate about matters and subjects on this forum, without any foundational basis, because they can and it makes them feel important and boosts their egos. Even when they are criticized and/or attacked it serves their purposes as at least someone is paying attention to them.

But now I am sounding like a freshman in college that is taking psychology 101, so I will cease with my amateur psychoanalysis.

RJ
Old 12-09-2012, 16:21   #12
glock2740
Gun lover.

[quote=RJ's Guns;19717206]
Quote:

QUOTE]

This is a consistent and persistent situation on this forum. Perhaps it is because I am old, but my overall impression is that a majority of individuals posting on this forum are inexperienced and have little, if any relative frame of reference. I am astounded how often the threads deal with such elementary issues that I (incorrectly) assume are common knowledge and repeatedly it seems to be a case of; “the blind leading the blind.”

I find that individuals continually bloviate about matters and subjects on this forum, without any foundational basis, because they can and it makes them feel important and boosts their egos. Even when they are criticized and/or attacked it serves their purposes as at least someone is paying attention to them.

But now I am sounding like a freshman in college that is taking psychology 101, so I will cease with my amateur psychoanalysis.

RJ
RJ, another great post, which I've noticed, has been the norm for you. Why don't you check out 1911 Addicts some time? I think you'd feel right at home there.
Old 12-09-2012, 16:24   #13
bac1023

[quote=glock2740;19717351]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ's Guns View Post
RJ, another great post, which I've noticed, has been the norm for you. Why don't you check out 1911 Addicts some time? I think you'd feel right at home there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 12-09-2012, 17:51   #14
RJ's Guns

[quote=bac1023;19717358]
Quote:
Originally Posted by glock2740 View Post

Thank you. Someone with your frame of reference, knowledge and experience is a valuable asset to this forum. A reasonable person would heed your advice and give serious consideration to what you have to say.

RJ
Old 12-09-2012, 17:45   #15
RJ's Guns

[quote=glock2740;19717351]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ's Guns View Post

Thank you, I appreciate the complement.
RJ
Old 12-10-2012, 21:54   #16
Wyoming

Send a message via Yahoo to Wyoming
Quote:

If you got a dollar for every post I read and just go on to the next one because of stupid you could double your collection!

"a 1911 that works is as rare as a Glock that don't" in it's post just isn't worth my time.

If I lose $1000 I can always work and earn it back but time is too valuable to waste. Time lost is lost forever.

That time can be better used shooting 1911s. Of the 17 handguns I own in 45 ACP 8 are 1911s and they all work.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:19   #17
joecoastie

If you're really interested in a 1911 you might want to consult more informed sources. Recoil magazine comes off as being by amateurs for amateurs (the pretty pictures are entertaining though). James Yeager, from what I have seen of his Youtube videos seems pretty closed minded to anything that isn't a Glock. The best thing is to try one for yourself, but it seems like you've already made up your mind without any first hand experience.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:41   #18
Rooster Rugburn
Got Pignose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecoastie View Post
If you're really interested in a 1911 you might want to consult more informed sources. Recoil magazine comes off as being by amateurs for amateurs (the pretty pictures are entertaining though). James Yeager, from what I have seen of his Youtube videos seems pretty closed minded to anything that isn't a Glock. The best thing is to try one for yourself, but it seems like you've already made up your mind without any first hand experience.
I don't dislike Yeager. He is the definitive President, CEO, and founding father of Glock Fan boys International. I got a kick out of his 1000 round torture test of a Glock. Every time the Glock would jam or FTF, they blamed the ammo. Funny stuff. Apparently, Yeager feels he can have it both ways, and that's okay.

Jim "The Anvil" Neidhart.

General Firearms Forum

Jim "The Anvil" Yeager.

General Firearms Forum

Anyone see a resemblance in persona? Now if we can get Yeager in some tights......

That Iraq thing really changed Yeager.

Ever notice that people who say "There is no I in TEAM" are the ones always riding your coattails?

Last edited by Rooster Rugburn; 12-10-2012 at 12:47..
Old 12-08-2012, 06:23   #19
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by coleslaw View Post

How exactly do you think he said it best when you have no idea what you're referring to?

Please give me an educated response.

Last edited by bac1023; 12-08-2012 at 07:19..
Old 12-08-2012, 06:31   #20
coleslaw

Quote:

How exactly do you think he said it best when you have no idea what you're referring to?

Please give me an educated response. :waiting:
Geez. I see your ego really is invested in your 1911. I'm quoting a guy with a proven track record... What is your track record? How many people have you trained?

Super sensitive Forum warrior says a well renown proffesional is a moron... Yea I'm really gonna take your word.

Closed Thread