SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:05   #1
ysr_racer

Pearl Harbor ~ December 7, 1941

A date which will live in infamy - FDR

Please take a moment to remember all the brave Americans that fought and lost their lives in WWII.

They really were the greatest generation.

Thank you all.

The Okie Corral
ysr_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:14   #2
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

i fly my flag year 'round, not just when its fashionable. wish more folks had that sense of pride.

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...
cowboywannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:52   #3
ken grant

Honor the day and the people who died that day and the followering days.

Go buy a JAP CAR OR TRUCK

This I will never do. My Father was in the USMC in WW2, in China afterwards. Came out OK but never liked Japs although he liked the Chinese
ken grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:15   #4
HollowHead
Firm member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken grant View Post

That didn't take long. HH

Sent from two coffee cans connected by a string.
HollowHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:22   #5
FLIPPER 348
Happy Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollowHead View Post
That didn't take long. HH
the D-bag seems to be hitting all the Pearl Harbor threads
FLIPPER 348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 17:54   #6
bunk22

Quote:

This I will never do. My Father was in the USMC in WW2, in China afterwards. Came out OK but never liked Japs although he liked the Chinese
Really? Time to let go I think, especially for someone who didn't fight in the war.

bunk22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 19:27   #7
ken grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunk22 View Post
Really? Time to let go I think, especially for someone who didn't fight in the war.
Really????? Missed young years with my father and had several friends that lost their father.

I don't know of any of them that buy Jap cars.
ken grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 20:50   #8
bunk22

Quote:
Really????? Missed young years with my father and had several friends that lost their father.

It's war, one in which you didn't participate. You hate Germans too? You missed young years with your father cause he served his country? Join the club dude. Hate to tell you, the Japanese aren't evil, nor their cars. To each their own of course, you want to mount your personal crusade, by all means lol

Last edited by bunk22; 12-07-2012 at 20:52..
Old 12-07-2012, 21:03   #9
HollowHead
Firm member

Quote:

You must absolutely loathe Italians then. HH

Sent from two coffee cans connected by a string.
HollowHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:49   #10
clancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollowHead View Post
You must absolutely loathe Italians then. HH
Romanians and Hungarians, too. Come to think of it, there were Danes, Poles, Russians and French who fought for the Germans, too. Should we hate all of them, too?
clancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 19:02   #11
RedTop

Quote:

At least we exacted revenge with the fire-bombing of Dresden.
RedTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 19:13   #12
Altaris

I had a tech support person at work today end our call with "Happy Pearl Harbor Day... Bye"

I was speechless. On the one hand I was glad that she actually knew today was the anniversary of Pearl Harbor, but on the other hand, who says 'happy' like it is a celebration. There was nothing happy on that day.
Altaris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:54   #13
vart

I'm wearing this shirt at work today...

The Okie Corral

"That's a big bite of crap sandwich, my friend..."

Rabbi - "Anyways, that is a beautiful car. Bill probably already farted in it."
vart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:18   #14
Hawkeye16

Quote:

Think it's about time to let the hate go. Honor and remember those that fought but damn. I'd say we got the last laugh, holding a grudge won't get us anywhere.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Hawkeye16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 18:57   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye16 View Post
Think it's about time to let the hate go. Honor and remember those that fought but damn. I'd say we got the last laugh, holding a grudge won't get us anywhere.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Tell that to my uncle, a Bataan Death March survivor.

Enjoy yourself. It's later than you think.
427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:22   #16
seanmac45
CLM Number 38
Charter Lifetime Member

Holding a grudge or remembering and being aware; two sides of the same coin.
Old 12-07-2012, 16:57   #17
inthefrey
Moved on...

Yes, thanks to all and, thanks Dad...
The Okie Corral
inthefrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 17:13   #18
clancy

We discussed Pearl Harbor and December 7th over dinner this evening. My dad and his wife are both old enough to remember hearing about it on the radio way back then and my Dad had an uncle who survived the attack. My Dad's wife asked my 11 year old son if he knew what today was, he said Dec. 7th, Pearl Harbor Day, the day the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor. When I asked him why the Japanese attacked us, he said it was in retaliation for our oil embargo. To say we were all more than a little pleasantly surprised that an 11 year old boy knew this was an understatement.
Old 12-07-2012, 17:20   #19
inthefrey
Moved on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy View Post
We discussed Pearl Harbor and December 7th over dinner this evening. My dad and his wife are both old enough to remember hearing about it on the radio way back then and my Dad had an uncle who survived the attack. My Dad's wife asked my 11 year old son if he knew what today was, he said Dec. 7th, Pearl Harbor Day, the day the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor. When I asked him why the Japanese attacked us, he said it was in retaliation for our oil embargo. To say we were all more than a little pleasantly surprised that an 11 year old boy knew this was an understatement.
WOW! Where'd he learn that?! In a public school? I'm pleasently surprised!
inthefrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 17:53   #20
bunk22

Quote:
It's not that simple though and that sounds like it the attack was the solely the fault of the US. Japanese aggression in China started in 1931, Manchuria as I recall. Their need to solve economic issues began with China, expand and control. So the US began economic sanctions and embargo's after Japan declared war on China in 37. Of course Japan continued its expansion into places like Indochina. Japan's bombing of Pearl Harbor wasn't just due to an oil embargo, it was also set on a course of expansionism. They needed oil and other resources and we apparently were in their way. They signed into the pact with the axis powers in 1940 and had even named a governor for Alaska and Washington State. Japan (militaristic government) wanted a war and got it...be careful what you wish for.

Old 12-08-2012, 14:10   #21
clancy

Quote:
It's not that simple though and that sounds like it the attack was the solely the fault of the US. Japanese aggression in China started in 1931, Manchuria as I recall. Their need to solve economic issues began with China, expand and control. So the US began economic sanctions and embargo's after Japan declared war on China in 37. Of course Japan continued its expansion into places like Indochina. Japan's bombing of Pearl Harbor wasn't just due to an oil embargo, it was also set on a course of expansionism. They needed oil and other resources and we apparently were in their way. They signed into the pact with the axis powers in 1940 and had even named a governor for Alaska and Washington State. Japan (militaristic government) wanted a war and got it...be careful what you wish for.
Dude, he is 11! What would you expect a Master's Thesis? Just joking around one time I told a kid his age WW2 started when the Swiss Navy attacked the Confederacy right before the American Revolution. He nodded his head and said he learned all that in school.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:31   #22
bunk22

Quote:
Dude, he is 11! What would you expect a Master's Thesis? Just joking around one time I told a kid his age WW2 started when the Swiss Navy attacked the Confederacy right before the American Revolution. He nodded his head and said he learned all that in school.
Well it's the net, it came across as the reason Japan attacked us was an oil embargo...brought on by Japanese acts of war and aggression. Wasn't my attention to bash an 11 year old though I normally reason and communicate at the 8th grade level My poor daughter, 14 years old has to endure her dad's love of history and constant correcting her teacher lol

Old 12-09-2012, 11:23   #23
meleors
Cranky Member

Quote:
Damn Swiss Navy! Helping England during the American Revolutionary War should never be forgotten!
As we all know, Admiral Santa Anna's decisive naval victory (under the Swiss Navy flag) at the Alamo led to the signing of the Armistice at the 38th Parallel dividing North America in two along the Mississippi River.
West of the Mississippi became Mexican territory after Mexico's defeat of England during The Crimean War setting up the purchase of this land by U.S. President Grant known as the Louisiana Purchase. Since Alaska was considered a waste land, Mexico included it for "future considerations".

Yes, I love history!
meleors is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:46   #24
Haldor
Retired EE

Quote:
Well if you go back far enough it was all Abel's fault for sucking up to dad.
Guys! Guys! He's down! Stop kicking him! If he shows up on another thread, Tasers are indicated, but for now, let him slink off into the shadows to lick his wounds and ponder how deeply cool and misunderstood he is!
Hoot nred Mrs. Vr.
Haldor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 17:24   #25
robin303
Helicopter Nut

What is really sad is that every year you hear less and less about that time and date of history that changed the world. Watching Tora, Tora, Tora right now.

To the greatest generation.