Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-12-2012, 19:49   #1
Andy W

If you can't kill it with a 9mm, you need a rifle

That about sums up what I've come to think about the debate between various service calibers in pistols. I mean, maybe .40 and .45 are marginally better than 9mm but really, it's not gonna make that big of a differene. If you ever encounter a situation where several center mass hits with quality 9mm ammo can't take care of it, you need to either 1) consider retreating or 2.) get to a long gun if that isn't an option. If you really think about it, if it's not dying after beiing hit with a 9mm, that little bit of extra power a .40 or .45 offers probably won't make a difference.

What do you guys think?
Andy W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 19:56   #2
flw

As the saying goes,

"Never take a handgun to a rifle fight"

I don't care what the pistol caliber is.
flw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 20:05   #3
purrrfect 10

If the 9mm is all you can handle I can see why you would think it is the best. DON"T discredit others for shooting much more superior rounds. That said there is no better pistol the a Glock 20 10mm if you can handle it? if not stick to what you can, hell ya might want to try a 22 if the 9 is a little snappy for ya. I say it is what you are comfortable with. 9 mm is like shooting a bb gun to me never would want one see no need for one for me it is a useless round
FOR ME doesn't get any better
I'm in the best condition I possibly can be ~ being in this condition...

Last edited by purrrfect 10; 11-12-2012 at 20:13..
purrrfect 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 23:26   #4
Mr.Reignman

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrrfect 10 View Post
If the 9mm is all you can handle I can see why you would think it is the best. DON"T discredit others for shooting much more superior rounds. That said there is no better pistol the a Glock 20 10mm if you can handle it? if not stick to what you can, hell ya might want to try a 22 if the 9 is a little snappy for ya. I say it is what you are comfortable with. 9 mm is like shooting a bb gun to me never would want one see no need for one for me it is a useless round
FOR ME doesn't get any better
Lawl.......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Mr.Reignman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 19:58   #5
TK-421

I think I like .40 because it has a bigger boom than 9mm, what do you say to that?
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 20:05   #6
Andy W

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
I think I like .40 because it has a bigger boom than 9mm, what do you say to that?
Bigger boom and kick but not much more effective than 9mm IMO
Old 11-12-2012, 20:09   #7
flw

On pistols only, you choose that largest caliber you can accurately shoot. If it a 22 then that's it, Doesn't matter what caliber you almost hit the target with.
flw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 20:11   #8
TK-421

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy W View Post
Bigger boom and kick but not much more effective than 9mm IMO
More effective? Eh, maybe, maybe not, I haven't formed an opinion because I haven't shot enough different calibers. I was just trying to give you some s*** from an angle I don't see too often.
Old 11-12-2012, 20:34   #9
Andy W

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
More effective? Eh, maybe, maybe not, I haven't formed an opinion because I haven't shot enough different calibers. I was just trying to give you some s*** from an angle I don't see too often.
Not sure where this came from but I remember somebody joking about how people that carry .40s are trying to compensate for something.
Old 11-12-2012, 20:38   #10
TK-421

Quote:
Not sure where this came from but I remember somebody joking about how people that carry .40s are trying to compensate for something.
Oh most definitely, I'm trying to compensate for being new to firearms and being an awful shot. I have issues hitting the broad side of a barn. Need to get more money so I can get more range time, and hopefully I can learn how to shoot accurately.
Old 11-12-2012, 20:01   #11
Marine123

I like all guns and rifles in general. They all do what they are supposed to do when SHTF. Unless........

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Marine123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 20:13   #12
uz2bUSMC
10mm defender

Quote:
That about sums up what I've come to think about the debate between various service calibers in pistols. I mean, maybe .40 and .45 are marginally better than 9mm but really, it's not gonna make that big of a differene. If you ever encounter a situation where several center mass hits with quality 9mm ammo can't take care of it, you need to either 1) consider retreating or 2.) get to a long gun if that isn't an option. If you really think about it, if it's not dying after beiing hit with a 9mm, that little bit of extra power a .40 or .45 offers probably won't make a difference.

What do you guys think?
Maybe you should start thinking about stopping a threat instead of killing it.

- "Our country went through a transition during the last election where the parasites came together and outnumbered the hosts." -jdavionic
uz2bUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 20:32   #13
Andy W

Quote:
Originally Posted by uz2bUSMC View Post
Maybe you should start thinking about stopping a threat instead of killing it.
You know what I meant smartass
Old 11-12-2012, 20:53   #14
uz2bUSMC
10mm defender

Quote:
You know what I meant smartass
Well, specifics help in CC. You and others may think there is no difference within the service calibers and that's fine. I often see the 9mm crowd defending their choice but there is really no need. If it's fine for you then that's all that really matters. 9mm is fine types should just spend more time in the "what works best in 9mm these days" type threads. After all, if it all works the same there is no need for a 9mm guy to be in CC besides ammo selection.

Funny thing is many 9mm guys defend it with a ton of tenacity and others question wether it's enough. I never really here anyone doubt that the .357 mag is an astounding man stopper. Sure, people choose 9mm over the .357 but it's usually because of platform not reputation.

- "Our country went through a transition during the last election where the parasites came together and outnumbered the hosts." -jdavionic

Last edited by uz2bUSMC; 11-12-2012 at 20:58..
Old 11-12-2012, 21:30   #15
unit1069

Quote:
Originally Posted by uz2bUSMC View Post
Funny thing is many 9mm guys defend it with a ton of tenacity and others question wether it's enough. I never really here anyone doubt that the .357 mag is an astounding man stopper. Sure, people choose 9mm over the .357 but it's usually because of platform not reputation.
Believe it or not I recall at least one GT thread where one or two Facklerites did devalue the legendary .357 Magnum's reputation. I remember it very well because I located a graphic of the "perfect wound profile" created by Fackler himself that still failed to sway the GT members who refused to give the Magnum its proper credit.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:30   #16
uz2bUSMC
10mm defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit1069 View Post
Believe it or not I recall at least one GT thread where one or two Facklerites did devalue the legendary .357 Magnum's reputation. I remember it very well because I located a graphic of the "perfect wound profile" created by Fackler himself that still failed to sway the GT members who refused to give the Magnum its proper credit.
Shawn Dodson probably the culprit.

Old 11-12-2012, 20:33   #17
cowboy1964

What do I think? I think I'm tired of these debates. The .38 Special was king in law enforcement for a freaking long time. It did the job too.
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 20:54   #18
countrygun

Quote:

What do you guys think?
I can eventually kill most anything with most any gun, or it will eventually die from the wounds.

I think my handloads especially in a .41, .44, or 10mm may cause me a bit less concern by hurrying the project along.

I do hunt with a handgun and, no I don't consider the 9mm as effective at killing a large animal as a heavier pistol, but I don't "need" a rifle at less than 100yds.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 21:19   #19
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

For people, 9 is fine. If you make the shot, there isn't enough difference between it and 460S&W to live on.

For animals, as a hunter I can tell you there are things in between the 9mm and a rifle like thee 44mag. There is a difference.
Old 11-12-2012, 23:13   #20
9mm +p+

I carry 9 and 45, but from a pistol the bigger hole seems to me to make more sense.