Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-06-2012, 06:41   #1
waxik

Glock 23 users

Good day shooters! I am planning to purchase a g23 very soon but read that its recoil is even stronger if not the same as a 1911. Is there any truth in that? Thank you in advance for your replies.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
waxik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:54   #2
stingray4540

Not so much stronger, as different. To me, a .45 is more of a push back, which is more pleasant to shoot. The .40 is more like the barrel snapping up and back very sharply. I guess that's the best I can describe it.

I've got a 23c and added a heavier recoil spring, and it is much more comfy to shoot than a stock, uncompensated 23.

Maybe others will have better insight.
stingray4540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 16:38   #3
cfr

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray4540 View Post

I've got a 23c and added a heavier recoil spring, and it is much more comfy to shoot than a stock, uncompensated 23.
Curious, do you attribute the extra comfiness to the compensated barrel/ slide, the spring, or both? Have you tried it with a stock spring?
cfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 16:47   #4
FireForged
Millenium #3936

The G23 recoil is nothing like a 45cal 1911. The barrel flip is what I notice, one because its short and light and two, because its a 40.
Old 11-07-2012, 19:46   #5
str8himalaya

Quote:
Not so much stronger, as different. To me, a .45 is more of a push back, which is more pleasant to shoot. The .40 is more like the barrel snapping up and back very sharply. I guess that's the best I can describe it.

I would explain it very close to above. More of an upward kick opposed to a rearward in a 1911 platform. Much like others have said, the 1911 is generally heavier as well, with widely regarded better ergonomics. The big thing is practice. I put my Kimber away since I just got a glock 23, just so I can focus specifically on getting things right in a different platform. Just shoot, shoot, and shoot some more!
str8himalaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 19:50   #6
SCmasterblaster

The recoil is more

because the bullets weigh more. 135-200gr.
Old 11-08-2012, 15:40   #7
Clutch Cargo
Amsterdam Haze

Quote:

I agree on the type of felt recoil
Old 07-14-2014, 03:36   #8
Drilled

Quote:

This! and the .40 is an ill conceived round stuck between to great calibers (9MM and .45 ACP). I love the .40 because I adapted to it and not the other way around.

It has plentiful ammo and and LEO's all over the country use it because it packs a punch in cold weather that 9's cannot penetrate sometimes. The .45 is like getting hit with a world class punch!

Not starting a caliber war...just personal observation in different climates. The .40 will cut through most outer garments where the 9 sometimes will not.

I have had a 23 for years and it always goes pop and takes a bit of getting used to.

It is a caliber that get's the job done!

In warm weather I would use a 9MM...in cold weather a .40 and up against multiple layers of clothes a .45 ACP.

Do your own tests.
On the G23 watch for stove piping...don't keep using the same defense ammo without rotating stock. (unsupported chamber.)

Keep your defense ammo rotated and your gun clean and it will always work. Never use less than 165 grain ammo in a .40

The .45ACP will cut through any clothes in the winter.
I shot better with a 9MM and a .45 ACP but the .40 is a tamable gun and with good knock-down power!

Last edited by Drilled; 07-14-2014 at 03:43..
Drilled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:30   #9
silencio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drilled View Post
This! and the .40 is an ill conceived round stuck between to great calibers (9MM and .45 ACP). I love the .40 because I adapted to it and not the other way around.

It has plentiful ammo and and LEO's all over the country use it because it packs a punch in cold weather that 9's cannot penetrate sometimes. The .45 is like getting hit with a world class punch!

Not starting a caliber war...just personal observation in different climates. The .40 will cut through most outer garments where the 9 sometimes will not.

I have had a 23 for years and it always goes pop and takes a bit of getting used to.

It is a caliber that get's the job done!

In warm weather I would use a 9MM...in cold weather a .40 and up against multiple layers of clothes a .45 ACP.

Do your own tests.
On the G23 watch for stove piping...don't keep using the same defense ammo without rotating stock. (unsupported chamber.)

Keep your defense ammo rotated and your gun clean and it will always work. Never use less than 165 grain ammo in a .40

The .45ACP will cut through any clothes in the winter.
I shot better with a 9MM and a .45 ACP but the .40 is a tamable gun and with good knock-down power!
I don't ever remember ever a statement that a .45 ACP wil penetrate multiple layer's of clothing better than a .40 S&W.Am I wrong??

Last edited by silencio; 07-14-2014 at 08:31..
silencio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 03:47   #10
Drilled

Double Post...deleted

Last edited by Drilled; 07-14-2014 at 04:39.. Reason: Double post
Drilled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:04   #11
LT642

The recoil issue with the .40 SW round isn't as bad as people would lead you to believe. I carry a G23 as a duty weapon and have no issues with it.
If you can I'd rent one and shoot a few hundred rounds through it, this is the best way to see if you like it or not.
LT642 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:09   #12
waxik

Thanks for your replies! Just a follow up question... Is there a big diff with the recoil of a 19 vs a 23?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
waxik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:26   #13
MikeG36

Yes. I have both and carry the 23 most of the time. The .40 is more snappy and may take a little practice to get use to but once you do, it's no big deal. Some people don't like the way the .40 shoots so as someone else advised, see if you can rent one and run a few hundred rounds through one before you decide.

The 19 is no slouch. You'd be well armed with either one.

General Glocking
MikeG36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:15   #14
4Rules

Yes, there is.

For me, the recoil of .40 from the G23 (when compared to 9x19 from the G19) results in trigger snatch becoming more of an issue. And for many users, myself included, the increased recoil of .40 means that times are markedly slower with the G23 than with the G19, so much so that the G19 - loaded with premium ammunition - seems to be the more appropriate choice. I can shoot my G23, and if I was without a G19 I would choose the G23, but I can shoot my G19 better, and with greater confidence, so the G19 is my first choice.
4Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:25   #15
clarkz71

I think everybody should own both. Why stop at one Glock.
G23 gen3 .40/.357 Sig
Florida Glocker #1923
clarkz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 18:39   #16
SCmasterblaster

I'm a G17 owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkz71 View Post
Getting a G22 soon!
Old 11-07-2012, 20:19   #17
jhaynes

Quote:
I think everyone should stop buying Glocks...once you've got 2 of each model.
jhaynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:45   #18
Chesafreak

If you are worried about recoil why not just buy a .22 and be done with it? I don't see why everyone gets so worked up over the increased recoil of a .40 over 9mm or .45. I personally don't want to put more bullets downrange in x number of seconds. I'm a civilian, so every bullet I let loose in a self defense shooting has to be aimed, not sprayed because I will be held accountable for any that injure an innocent bystander. If you can get more power out of the same sized pistol, isn't that preferrable? The more I practice, the less I notice recoil.

Just my two cents. Flame on...
Chesafreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:03   #19
clarkz71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesafreak View Post
If you are worried about recoil why not just buy a .22 and be done with it? I don't see why everyone gets so worked up over the increased recoil of a .40 over 9mm or .45. I personally don't want to put more bullets downrange in x number of seconds. I'm a civilian, so every bullet I let loose in a self defense shooting has to be aimed, not sprayed because I will be held accountable for any that injure an innocent bystander. If you can get more power out of the same sized pistol, isn't that preferrable? The more I practice, the less I notice recoil.

Just my two cents. Flame on...
I agree 100%, good post .
G23 gen3 .40/.357 Sig
Florida Glocker #1923
clarkz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 13:30   #20
rrog

Quote:
I agree 100%, good post .
+1

I agree with what he said about what he said.

rrog
Volunteer Glockers Club #11
.40 S&W Club #56
rrog is offline   Reply With Quote