Thoughts on a concealed carry weapon

taylortactical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 13:39   #2
SCmasterblaster

Good choice! I carry a G17!
Old 11-04-2012, 14:34   #3
Lior
GUNS=FREEDOM

He advocates the use of the mind more than selecting a particular gun IMO - kudos to him.
Rust and bureaucrats. Freedom and vigilance. Front sight and trigger. Kindness and firepower. Situational awareness and tolerance. Safety and concealment. Taxes and allegiance. Love of man and surgical marksmanship. Once a soldier, always a soldier.
Lior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 15:04   #4
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lior View Post
He advocates the use of the mind more than selecting a particular gun IMO - kudos to him.
That's right. We should use our heads before, during, and after a defensive shooting.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:25   #5
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lior View Post
IMHO this can never get enough reinforcement.

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”

Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 15:19   #6
LASTRESORT20
LongTerm-Guy

Great video....nice choice.....
LASTRESORT20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 17:49   #7
4Rules

http://www.texastactical.com/About_Us.html
4Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 19:16   #8
Brutus Fullman

hmmmm... lots to think about here: high chance of facing two assailants, statistical probability of missed shots... both speak in favor of high capacity 9mm but whre are the figures on how many shots are actually fired in a civilian (rather than law enforcement officer) self-defense situation? I recall reading that a high percentage of assailants, seeing their intended victim's gun, high-tail it before any shots are fired. I'm still no convinced that 9mm is the way to go.
Laws enacted to punish evil firmly are characteristic of a government which values the lives and rights of its citizens. Laws purporting to prevent evil by prohibiting inherently harmless behavior are meant to limit rights and control lives.
Brutus Fullman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 19:48   #9
Louisville Glocker
Urban Redneck

Nice video. I fully respect his opinions. I usually opt for less rounds, with a G26, but for me, concealability is critical. I do have a G19 and G30 as well.
Louisville Glocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 20:10   #10
cowboy1964

Too bad he doesn't have any actual stats on how often more than 10 rounds are needed. I'd be willing to guess it's < 1%. Yet his most important factor appears to be capacity.

I'm fine with 9 but come on, let's not get silly. Capacity is NOT the main reason to go with a 9, IMO. It's a bonus, not a reason.

Last edited by cowboy1964; 11-04-2012 at 20:15..
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 20:39   #11
SCmasterblaster

I am glad I have 17 9mm rounds in my G17

and no, I don't expect to need all 17 of them, But, we have all heard the horror stories about the drug-crazed felons who soak up the bullets, large or small.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:44   #12
cowboy1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
and no, I don't expect to need all 17 of them, But, we have all heard the horror stories about the drug-crazed felons who soak up the bullets, large or small.
Tiny, TINY, percentage. And who is to say that a larger bullet would not help? It certainly might as the total wound volume would be drastically increased with so many hits.

Again, capacity is a bonus. No one ever complains about having too many bullets. But I don't pick 9's because it carries 1 or 2 more rounds than the .40.

Last edited by cowboy1964; 11-05-2012 at 09:45..
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 21:31   #13
Clutch Cargo
Amsterdam Haze

Quote:
Due to back surgery, I'm drug crazed. My chances of encountering and entering into a gunfight with a drug crazed felon are next to none. If I went looking for that kind of trouble, I'm sure I'd find it.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:24   #14
tomcon

Not sure how the video ends, I quit watching after he said a Glock 30 is uncontrollable when firing one handed.

Just another 9mm is better video as far as I am concerned.

If half the shots fired miss the target shouldn't you be carrying the gun you find the most accurate to shoot. This might turn out to be a 9mm but how could you know without trying out other calibers.

As much as I like my Glocks, yes plural, not everyone like shooting them or find that they are less accurate with them.

For the record, I applied for a personal protection permit and received a LTCH!
tomcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 21:30   #15
unit1069

Here are my thoughts on the subject:

There is no substitute for absolute gun/ammo reliability; so carry a weapon loaded with quality JHP self-defense ammo that always fires when you pull the trigger.

Most civilian self-defense shootings are at close range with 3-5 shots expended. Capacity is a great thing especially considering multiple assailants, but if after 8-10 rounds trying to stop the threat one or more of the determined perps will probably have managed to successfully target the lone defender. Reloading at this point seems to be a pipe dream for the typical untutored civilian like me.

When I visit the shooting range the first thing I do is shoot my carry ammo rapid fire in 2-shot, 3-shot, and 5-shot burst from the cold pistol to satisfy the gun/ammo reliability. This doesn't guarantee things will always go as designed (there are never any guarantees) but it does provide a real world test protocol and provides a great amount of reassurance that if I do my part the chosen apparatus will do it's part.
Old 11-05-2012, 13:29   #16
gadgetnut259

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit1069 View Post
Most civilian self-defense shootings are at close range with 3-5 shots expended...
Actually, in the vast majority of civilian self-defense shootings, the number of shots fired is 1.
Old 11-05-2012, 14:01   #17
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetnut259 View Post
Actually, in the vast majority of civilian self-defense shootings, the number of shots fired is 1.
Really? Just one shot? I wouldn't rely on a single shot unless it was to the forehead.
Old 11-05-2012, 14:17   #18
mj9mm

one, run and done?
mj9mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 14:19   #19
gadgetnut259

Quote:
Really? Just one shot? I wouldn't rely on a single shot unless it was to the forehead.
Yeah, I did some research on this about a year ago for a project. Of three fairly extensive studies, a single shot was fired way more than any other number. Kinda surprised me too.

Last edited by gadgetnut259; 11-05-2012 at 14:21..
gadgetnut259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 17:22   #20
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetnut259 View Post
Yeah, I did some research on this about a year ago for a project. Of three fairly extensive studies, a single shot was fired way more than any other number. Kinda surprised me too.
Are LEOs taught to fire only once?