Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-09-2012, 07:42   #1
R2D2

Order of loads in SD Shotgun

I was talking to a fairly knowledgeable sales rep in my LGS the other day about SD Shotguns and the type of ammo that should be kept in it.

This is for a 12ga with a 20" barrel that can hold 7+1 2-3/4" shells

His concept in the magazine was to have 2 rounds of #4, followed by 3 rounds of #00, followed by 2 rounds of lead slug. His reasoning is start medium and if they keep coming then work your way up the damage scale. (5 more rounds on a butt cuff, 3 #00 and 2 lead slug)

Interesting thought but want to hear anyone else's take and reasoning on their preferred order to load shells for a SD shotgun.
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:57   #2
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

I understand and respect your advisor's line of reasoning. However, the problem with "gain-loading" any firearm is that under life-threatening stress, most people quickly lose count of how many rounds they've fired. In that situation, they won't know what's coming out of the muzzle next.

Since I for one want to know what's going to emerge from the muzzle on each pull of the trigger, I keep my guns loaded with the same ammo from top to bottom. Different rounds in the shotgun's butt cuff, or the pistol's magazine, are more forgiving in this regard. They give the mind a "break-point" during the reloading process to remember that as soon as the new loads go into the gun, something new is going to be coming out of the business end.

Best,
Mas
Mas Ayoob is offline   Reply With Quote