Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-09-2012, 01:46   #1
4Rules

Why you should support hunting

Call of the Mild: Learning to Hunt My Own Dinner author Lily Raff McCaulou on how she dropped her negative stereotypes about hunting and learned to kill her own dinner, and why non-hunting animal lovers should support hunting too.
http://www.cbc.ca/player/Radio/Q/Excerpts/ID/2253515311/?page=2

Last edited by 4Rules; 10-09-2012 at 01:48..
4Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 18:10   #2
Jerry

From years of experience what I've come to understand (I used to be an avid hunter, hunted again for the first time in over 30 years last year) is that non hunting gun owners for the most part support hunting. However many "HUNTERS", as blatantly evident in the clip, only support what they "believe" is a "right" to own a hunting rifles or shotguns.
BIG DAWG #4

Liberal: Someone who is so open-minded their brains have fallen out.
Guns are not dangerous, people are.

Last edited by Jerry; 10-09-2012 at 18:24..
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:29   #3
BADOS

Sorry, don't see how anyone could enjoy killing a poor inocent animal for sport. I know I wouldn't be able to sleep at night.
BADOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:35   #4
TexasFats
NRA, TSRA, SAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADOS View Post
Sorry, don't see how anyone could enjoy killing a poor inocent animal for sport. I know I wouldn't be able to sleep at night.
I have killed poor, innocent animals for sport, and I sleep quite well, thank you. In the past, I have also killed my share of critters trying to get into my chickenhouse to kill my chickens.

P.S. Some of those poor, innocent animals tase quite good when properly prepared, and they aren't full of artifical hormones and antibiotics.

Sauron lives, and his orc minions are on the march.
TexasFats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:42   #5
Jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADOS View Post
The sport isn't in the killing it's in the hunting. The killing just gives us something taste to eat.

Do you eat chicken, beef, pork etc? Those animals suffer a much worse existence and death than any wild animal that has been killed by any hunter I know.

Please tell me your post was sarcasm and I just missed it.
BIG DAWG #4

Last edited by Jerry; 10-16-2012 at 12:44..
Old 10-18-2012, 13:10   #6
Spats McGee

I don't kill animals for sport. I kill them for dinner.
Spats McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 13:21   #7
Gun Shark

Send a message via AIM to Gun Shark Send a message via MSN to Gun Shark Send a message via Yahoo to Gun Shark

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasFats View Post
I have killed poor, innocent animals for sport, and I sleep quite well, thank you. In the past, I have also killed my share of critters trying to get into my chickenhouse to kill my chickens.

P.S. Some of those poor, innocent animals tase quite good when properly prepared, and they aren't full of artifical hormones and antibiotics.
If you are killing them and eating them, or have another valid reason to kill them ie prevent them from killing your chickens, over population etc. IMHO that is not killing for sport. Going specifically to kill things because you feel like it and want a head on your wall, an animal hide on your floor, or the thrill of shooting at a unpredictable living moving target. IMHO is morally wrong.

Personally, I don't hunt anything I will not eat.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

"No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms." --Thomas Jefferson

"Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter."
Gun Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 21:21   #8
Gunnut 45/454

My 2 cents on this issue! I have been a hunter since I was old enough to do so! Everything I hunt is food except pests/varmints! Putting racks on the walls or rugs on the floors is not just to say I killed it! It's to remind me of the adventure, the hunt, the place, time and people I was with when the animal was taken! To remember the animal I harvested when it was free, the beauty of the animal etc. I can't count the hunts that I've been on where I never fired a round- including this years chukar hunt I just got back from! You know what I'll remember from the chukar hunt ! Being with my brother in the feild, enjoy precious time with him, seeing three Desert Bighorns within spitting distance!!! Yes And I never fired a shot on this hunt! We saw but a very few birds and they were out of range for a clean kill! If you hunt for the killing -your not a hunter!

Last edited by Gunnut 45/454; 10-18-2012 at 21:24..
Gunnut 45/454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 21:32   #9
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

I will not kill any animal I will not eat.

But, I was in Boulder, CO a while back and saw how a bunch of do good weenies can cause disease and starvation to run rampant through all their wildlife and fishing. Ask about the results on cats and dogs in town from wildcats.

It was criminal how bad the conditions of the Deer alone, was. For supposedly smart people, they sure are dumb. Don't let this happen to your area.

Reasonable harvesting is a necessary control.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 22:41   #10
Jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice6 View Post
I will not kill any animal I will not eat.

But, I was in Boulder, CO a while back and saw how a bunch of do good weenies can cause disease and starvation to run rampant through all their wildlife and fishing. Ask about the results on cats and dogs in town from wildcats.

It was criminal how bad the conditions of the Deer alone, was. For supposedly smart people, they sure are dumb. Don't let this happen to your area.

Reasonable harvesting is a necessary control.
Isn't it MORONIC... ironic the way the bleeding hearts get all up in arms over humane hunting, but not a peep out of them when it comes to the suffering they created. IDIOTS and MORONS!
BIG DAWG #4

Last edited by Jerry; 10-18-2012 at 22:42..
Old 10-18-2012, 23:52   #11
GRIMLET
Deceased

My coworker is the most prolific hunter I know. He has a room for all of his mounts.
He also does permitted wildlife rehab for deer. He currently has three. The youngest still had its umbilical attached when dropped off to him.
He has a safe release spot on fenced state land to get them off to a good start when they are big enough to release.
GRIMLET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 00:46   #12
countrygun

Living in the country I kill a lot of animals I don't eat for a variety of reasons.

I don't take part in the local traditions of going out and shooting certain varmints for sport however. I am not passing any judgement, it's just not my "thing". I love hunting, but don't "trophy hunt" again, not my thing. to me it's like folks that go out and shoot .50 cal rifles for fun. I figure it's their choice and even if I don't participate I support them. The same with shooting in my area. A good number of my neighbors are like me and have their own little ranges, the sound of gunfire down the road just doesn't bother me, it's their business, and mine doesn't bother them.

(although the other day a close neighbor surprised me with it and I found out my reflexes are still there.)
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:52   #13
OctoberRust
Anti-Federalist

The 2nd amendment was NOT made for hunting.

Leave hunting to the states to regulate.

I can't watch the video, so I'm not sure of the premise, but the biggest thing that bugs me is when hunters try to compare the legitimacy of private ownership to a certain firearm to if it's used for hunting or not.

I'll repeat it again, the 2nd amendment was NOT enacted for hunting, just like the 1st amendment was NOT enacted for talking about the weather.

As far as my personal stance on hunting, I can care less. It's not my thing, even though I did hunt when I was a teenager. If someone else enjoys hunting, or does it for whatever reason, I have no problem with it.
OctoberRust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:36   #14
FireForged
Millenium #3936

To the degree that 5000 deer cannot live in a area that can only support 1000 deer.. I support wildlife management. With that in mind.. most hunting is benificial and necessary. I have hunted from time to time but I dont really consider myself a "hunter". I maintain a license every year to support the process and to help upkeep on the shooting ranges.