Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-07-2012, 15:11   #1
fowl intent

Nightmare in Ohio

So, I have a good friend who went to Ohio for a week of deer hunting. Being a good ole NC boy, he took his handgun along with him. Well, he got stopped for speeding, and I'm not sure how or why this came up, but he volunteered that he had a handgun in the car. Turns out that it is a felony to carry a loaded handgun in Ohio, or at least that is what his hunting buddy relayed to me. Unfortunately he will have to spend the weekend in jail because he has to appear before a judge to have a bond set. This guy is in his 50's and has never seen the inside of a jail before this incident.

This started me thinking how careful you have to be when you travel from one state to another. Does anybody know if in fact it is a felony to carry a loaded handgun in Ohio? What if there was not a round in the chamber (of a semi-auto)? I assume that having a concealed carry permit from NC would not have changed the situation. It sure would be nice to have some sort of reciprocity between the states, so as not to have to deal with all of the quirky laws of different states.

Anybody else with a horror story to tell?
fowl intent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 15:23   #2
Jonesee

2 Points:

I have hunted all my life and have never seen a reason to carry a handgun in the woods or back country. Sure sign of someone who is uncomfortable there or just trying to play make believe.

And. When I carry in a car, the gun is unloaded and packed in a case.

Last edited by Jonesee; 10-07-2012 at 15:26..
Jonesee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 15:35   #3
Reissman

Previous post answers my question

Last edited by Reissman; 10-07-2012 at 15:37..
Reissman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 15:39   #4
G29Reload
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesee View Post
2 Points:

I have hunted all my life and have never seen a reason to carry a handgun in the woods or back country. Sure sign of someone who is uncomfortable there or just trying to play make believe.
Nonsense. Unless you beleive in fairy tales or that nothing ever happens in the woods and you don't have to worry about bears, or feral dogs, or stumbling over someones meth lab, then yeah, the woods are perfectly safe.

Quote:

And. When I carry in a car, the gun is unloaded and packed in a case.
Then you're not carrying, you're just transporting.

And a carjacker's dream.
Old 10-07-2012, 16:25   #5
Jonesee

Quote:
Originally Posted by G29Reload View Post
Nonsense. Unless you beleive in fairy tales or that nothing ever happens in the woods and you don't have to worry about bears, or feral dogs, or stumbling over someones meth lab, then yeah, the woods are perfectly safe. :
When you are hunting, you are already carrying a weapon.

You go in before sunrise and unless you are an idiot you have been in and out of the area 30 times before scouting and setting up.

Been hunting much?

I've hunted all over the country thanks to moving all over. Every place I have ever hunted and the men and boys I have hunted with would be laughing behind your back if you packed a pistol to head into the woods. (i admit to not hunting Alaska yet) maybe that is just me and my almost 50 years hunting. But that is the way I see it.

Carry a pistol while scouting before season in some parts of the country I can understand. Carrying a long gun pre-season may get you written up. But during season? Never.

Last edited by Jonesee; 10-07-2012 at 16:41..
Jonesee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 16:42   #6
boomhower

I certainly feel for your buddy but he put himself in the spot he's in. He was carrying a concealed gun without a permit. That's in big no no in most states. He knew that was illegal, he took the chance and got busted. Now he probably didn't figure it was a felony, I sure wouldn't have but still not worth the risk. He should have gotten his permit as NC permits are honored in Ohio. He needs to get a good lawyer and hope one of two things. Either he gets a nice plea deal down to a misdemeanor or there was something wrong with the stop and/or search.

I can certainly understand him wanting a handgun in the woods. The part I'm from is full of meth labs. He just needs to make sure he's doing it right.

Last edited by boomhower; 10-07-2012 at 16:43..
boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 16:53   #7
Reissman

Quote:

You go in before sunrise and unless you are an idiot you have been in and out of the area 30 times before scouting and setting up.

Been hunting much?

I've hunted all over the country thanks to moving all over. Every place I have ever hunted and the men and boys I have hunted with would be laughing behind your back if you packed a pistol to head into the woods. (i admit to not hunting Alaska yet) maybe that is just me and my almost 50 years hunting. But that is the way I see it.

Carry a pistol while scouting before season in some parts of the country I can understand. Carrying a long gun pre-season may get you written up. But during season? Never.
Bet those hunters that got killed in WI a couple years ago wish they had a handgun.
Old 10-07-2012, 21:16   #8
Armchair Commando
Long Range Guru

Quote:

Been hunting much?

Yeah i hunt with a Bow and the bow is not a good weapon to have to defend yourself with. And i been bowhunting for 15 years, Every serious hunter i know carries a handgun with them when hunting! Your living in a dream world if you think the woods are entirely safe place to be, I've been hunting in the UP in Michigan and been 12 miles in away from anything resembling civilization.

Last edited by Armchair Commando; 10-07-2012 at 21:18..
Armchair Commando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 17:08   #9
G29Reload
Tread Lightly

Quote:
And when I have a pistol with me, I have a backup! Unless I'm hunting WITH a pistol.

Quote:
You go in before sunrise and unless you are an idiot
Idiots think you don't ever need a backup.

Quote:
Been hunting much?
Every year.

Quote:
What kind of guarantee that what you've scouted in the past won't have different conditions the day you arrive? I know guys that have been treed by feral dog packs and had to take care of business.

Some states, not mine but some, have ammo limits for what can be in your hunting weapon.

Quote:
I've hunted all over the country thanks to moving all over. Every place I have ever hunted and the men and boys I have hunted with would be laughing behind your back if you packed a pistol to head into the woods.
Only if they're anti gun. Most guys I know think youre a fool if you don't keep proper protection on you. Meth labs, finishing shots, feral dogs, other wild animals and coyotes are just a few of the hazards.

Pro gun guys don't laugh at others carrying weapons.

Quote:
(i admit to not hunting Alaska yet) maybe that is just me and my almost 50 years hunting. But that is the way I see it.
In AK, a large frame double action revolver .44mag and up is known as a "rolling around on the ground" gun in case you get tackled by a bear, you're already likely wounded but its your last chance. More than few stories have come back where it made the difference in life and death. Pretty much the same thing for MT, WY, ID, WA CO and UT.

An old friend in Oregon told the story of his dentist who used to fish annually in the UP of Michigan. A long gun would not have helped him any when he got blindsided by a blackie and went for his .357. He survived, barely but was badly wounded and now only takes a .44mag loaded with hardcast.

Quote:
But during season? Never.
Suit yourself. No skin off my back.
Old 10-09-2012, 15:34   #10
P99er
AKA PPQ'er

Quote:
the men and boys I have hunted with would be laughing behind your back
So you folks are the kind of people who do things behind the backs of others? Scared to say anything to their face?

Look. You might think you know everything, but the fact is, you don't. Everyone has a different perspective, opinion, and viewpoint. Ask 10 people to describe the color red, and you'll likely get several different descriptions. Just because you do or don't like it, doesn't mean you are right, and they are wrong.

Have I ever carried a pistol when I went hunting? No. But I am not going to make an ass of myself and criticize others who do. If that is what they want to do, more power to them. They hunt. They wear a sidearm. That is two things we instantly have in common, and there are probably more. Why be so petty and childish and criticize others for something so simple and asinine, and something that basically comes down to personal opinion? Why? Because that is the kind of person you are.

"I cannot sit and watch a lady diminish her qualities to the lowest common denominator. I just can't do that" - Jerry Lewis on female comics
P99er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:43   #11
PEC-Memphis
Scottish Member

Quote:

Been hunting much?
No, I'm not a big hunter, but even I know that hunting firearms are generally not loaded until in position to hunt, such in the duck blind or deer stand.

Now hunting other types of game such as quail, pheasant or rabbit - ie. mobile rather than stationary - a shotgun is used with small shot which is generally ineffective for SD at distances greater than "room" distances (and arguably not even then).

Other mobile hunting with a rifle - such as rabbit, squirrel, raccoon, etc. - is generally with a small caliber rifle such as a .22; again a generally ineffective SD choice.

I don't suppose I even need to address bow hunting or muzzleloader seasons, as it would seem obvious why carrying a handgun for SD would be needed.

A handgun in a holster can be safely carried loaded and can be deployed, in some instances, more effectively than a long gun.

Additionally, a handgun caliber is sometimes a better choice for killing wounded medium sized game at close range.

Last edited by PEC-Memphis; 10-11-2012 at 14:29..
PEC-Memphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:42   #12
Teecher45

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEC-Memphis View Post
No, I'm not a big hunter, but even I know that hunting firearms are generally not loaded until in position to hunt, such in the duck blind or deer stand.

Now hunting other types of such as quail, pheasant or rabbit - ie. mobile rather than stationary - a shotgun is used with small shot which is generally ineffective for SD at distances greater than "room" distances (and arguably not even then).

Other mobile hunting with a rifle - such as rabbit, squirrel, raccoon, etc. - is generally with a small caliber rifle such as a .22; again a generally ineffective SD choice.

I don't suppose I even need to address bow hunting or muzzleloader seasons, as it would seem obvious why carrying a handgun for SD would be needed.

A handgun in a holster can be safely carried loaded and can be deployed, in some instances, more effectively than a long gun.

Additionally, a handgun caliber is sometimes a better choice for killing wounded medium sized game at close range.
Yeah, this is pretty much where I was going to go with it, but you beat me to it. In our camp in Colorado (usually about 15 men from Kentucky, Virginia, and West Virginia) most carry a pistol just to be safe, if that bear/cat is on top of you, you think you gonna get that rifle up to them?
And I bow hunt in Montana, and carry a .44, do I need to explain why? If I left camp there without a handgun they wouldn't laugh at me, they would probably pray for me.
Now, what was the OP about?
Old 10-07-2012, 16:45   #13
LASTRESORT20
LongTerm-Guy

Quote:
Nonsense. Unless you beleive in fairy tales or that nothing ever happens in the woods and you don't have to worry about bears, or feral dogs, or stumbling over someones meth lab, then yeah, the woods are perfectly safe.

And a carjacker's dream.

Amen brother!
LASTRESORT20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 18:36   #14
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Because my .300 Winchester Magnum rifle fires too weak of a cartridge and I'd need a 10mm to protect myself against creatures of all kinds?
Old 10-07-2012, 19:10   #15
tsmo1066
Happy Smiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
Because my .300 Winchester Magnum rifle fires too weak of a cartridge and I'd need a 10mm to protect myself against creatures of all kinds?
In South Texas, at least, the pistol is handy because most encounters with illegals and the cartel "coyotes" that run them take place with very little notice and at very close distances, where a full-sized, bolt-action rifle is of little use. The illegals and "coyotes" normally hide in brush or take cover when they fear someone might be around, and when you encounter them it's normally by surprise and at close distance.

A handgun is very much a plus in situations like that.
Old 10-07-2012, 23:15   #16
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmo1066 View Post
In South Texas, at least, the pistol is handy because most encounters with illegals and the cartel "coyotes" that run them take place with very little notice and at very close distances, where a full-sized, bolt-action rifle is of little use. The illegals and "coyotes" normally hide in brush or take cover when they fear someone might be around, and when you encounter them it's normally by surprise and at close distance.

A handgun is very much a plus in situations like that.
So I'll sling the loaded rifle that I have in my hand so that I can play gunslinger?

Okay...
Old 10-07-2012, 21:19   #17
Armchair Commando
Long Range Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
Last time i checked you can't use a 300 WM in any of the places i hunt except northern michigan for deer hunting!
Old 10-07-2012, 23:17   #18
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStreetKing View Post
Last time i checked you can't use a 300 WM in any of the places i hunt except northern michigan for deer hunting!
Okay, a thutty-thutty lever gun then.

Should I sling my loaded Winchester/Marlin so that I can bring the handgun into play?
Old 10-09-2012, 06:19   #19
BuckeyePPC

Quote:

And a carjacker's dream.

I live half an hour from the Mexican border and here you have to worry about drug runners and human trafficakers aka Coyotes. I worry more about them than the cougars and javelinas.

Went quail hunting in the high desert this past weekend and most of us were carrying handguns.
BuckeyePPC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:36   #20
GWG19

Quote:
Don't forget Moonshiners. I walked up on a big still while bird hunting. I looked at the tanks which looked to be able to hold about 100 gallons each and decided I didn't need to around those parts of the woods. A little later I did encounter a fellar who asked where I had been hunting, I replied over that away which was in the opposite direction I had came from.
I do carry a Ruger GP100 when I hunt.

Last edited by GWG19; 10-09-2012 at 07:37..
GWG19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:27   #21
nikerret
Mr. Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWG19 View Post
Don't forget Moonshiners. I walked up on a big still while bird hunting. I looked at the tanks which looked to be able to hold about 100 gallons each and decided I didn't need to around those parts of the woods. A little later I did encounter a fellar who asked where I had been hunting, I replied over that away which was in the opposite direction I had came from.
I do carry a Ruger GP100 when I hunt.
You good thing you didn't point 90* from where you would have just came from, you would have said "from the burial graves" or "from the meth lab".
nikerret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 18:49   #22
dbarry

Quote:

And a carjacker's dream.
absolutely agree g29. Get your head out of the sand. In so ohio people have been shot stumbling across meth labs, marijuana fields, etc.

Know the state laws. Get CCW license for other states that give you recip to more states (CC bingo).
dbarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 14:24   #23
shooter1234

Originally Posted by Jonesee:

Quote:
Yea, because you know, the rifle in your hands with ten trillion times the destructive power of any pistol usually isn't good enough for "feral" dogs or shooting a meth lab worker. It ONLY works on deer and nothing else. Hell, for that matter ya mind as well carry your bullet proof vest on the hunt as well. Screw it, why go in half prepared? Right?

G19 sold. G26 sold.
G26 gen 4 G17 gen 4 G37 Gen 4.

Last edited by shooter1234; 10-13-2012 at 14:28..
shooter1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 14:58   #24
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

Quote:
I bet the Australians never thought to see an outright ban.

Or the descendents of the people who wrote and fought for the Magna Charta.
I don't know why not, Australia was an English colony and England had no history of the right to keep and bear arms by the common English subject. That right was restricted to the nobility.
Old 10-14-2012, 13:27   #25
method

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter1234 View Post

Yea, because you know, the rifle in your hands with ten trillion times the destructive power of any pistol usually isn't good enough for "feral" dogs or shooting a meth lab worker. It ONLY works on deer and nothing else. Hell, for that matter ya mind as well carry your bullet proof vest on the hunt as well. Screw it, why go in half prepared? Right?
What about those that hunt with a bow or a muzzleloader?
method is online now   Reply With Quote