Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:45   #1
glock2619
Work in Progres

Trip to Prince George county, VA (Richmond?) this weekend.

Hello,

We're taking a trip to see my wife's grandparents this weekend in VA. They live in Prince George county. The purpose of the trip is to see them, but was wondering if there's anything neat to see while I'm there. We'll have our two boys along (5 and 2) so keep that in mind.

I live in Western SD, so I don't exactly get to see oceans often, so I would at least like to do that. Early America or Civil War related places to see would be neat as well as we don't get much of that here. Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
glock2619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:50   #2
KalashniKEV

Are you driving down from SD?

This time of year is great to hit up the Wine Trail in Faquier County (much further north).

Lucky you aren't visiting PCG, MD!
KalashniKEV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:04   #3
glock2619
Work in Progres

Sorry, we're flying. I should have mentioned that.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:24   #4
frank4570
Feral human

The state fair is going on right now. It's going for a couple more days. Just north of richmond.

For too long people have said "screw NY, IL, etc" or "that'll never happen here." Yes, it will eventually. If we dont start standing up together now, it will never stop.-ilgunguygt
frank4570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:30   #5
KalashniKEV

Museum of the Confederacy in Richmond is cool. So is Henricus Historical Park. There is a part of Ft. Lee with old earthworks from the Civil War, but you have to watch out because the trails are absolutely covered in horse poo.

I asked one of the riders why they didn't clean up after their animals, and they just laughed like I was some proletarian and said, "You don't clean up after a HORSE!"

Still pissed about that one. Anyway, OT...

Stay away from Petersburg. It's ghetto.
KalashniKEV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:55   #6
forresme

Battle Field Park (Petersburg Va), which is a stone throw from Prince George is great for Civil War Buffs. Get on Route 460 and head east and you will be at the ocean in 2 hours. On the way down, stop and eat at the Virginia Diner in Wakefield and eat some of the best Virginia Ham there is.
forresme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:36   #7
glock2619
Work in Progres

I appreciate all the responses. Petersburg sounds good.

And I LOVE ham.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:40   #8
JohnBT
NRA Patron

" On the way down, stop and eat at the Virginia Diner in Wakefield and eat some of the best Virginia Ham there is."

I love country ham too, but I can't stop at the Diner without buying some...

The Okie Corral
JohnBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:56   #9
JohnBT
NRA Patron

For a quick stop in Petersburg, go see Old Blandford Church. It's just a small brick church that was built in 1735. So why go see it?

It had its ups and downs over the years, including being abandoned iirc, but then just after 1900 the Ladies Memorial Association of Petersburg commissioned 15 stained glass windows by Louis Comfort Tiffany. They're still there.
JohnBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:26   #10
Rec4LMS

Since you are in Prince George, see if you can head over to the Pamplin Park Civil War site.

http://www.pamplinpark.org/

It's one of the few attempts of a private philanthropic group attempting to save and present American Civil War sites. It has some very well preserved trenches and even picket lines. (I have no clue where you can actually see any picket lines any place else.)

While you are only a few miles from Richmond, the Petersburg area has been pushing their tourism for years and they have a lot more "to do." Richmond has been pretty much "Yeah it's there, so what?"

If you do get into Richmond, Monument Avenue is very pretty and has plenty of monuments to the Confederacy, hence it's name. Hollywood Cemetery is awesome. Two US Presidents, one Confederate President, Civil War dead, and just an over all Gothic design to the place. Mausoleums, not tombstones.

I was going to tell you to go to Kings BBQ, but I heard it closed a few years back. Heck, all the awesome BBQ places that I loved have closed. There are a lot of high profile BBQ places around... But I don't "love" them.

If you are interested in Haunted Houses, Blood Lake in Chesterfield used to put on a great show. I have not been to their new location yet.

http://www.bloodlakeva.com/

Not too sure what all you may have been interested in doing, but in your area there is a lot of history. You aren't all that far from the Bush Gardens or Kings Dominion amusement parks either.

"The number of casualties at the site of an attempted mass shooting is usually determined by whether the gun used to stop the killer is already at the site, or whether it must be carried there in the holster of a police officer."
http://munchkinwrangler.blogspot.com...re-coming.html
Rec4LMS is offline   Reply With Quote