GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2012, 14:39   #1
DirtyDan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 149
Tenifer-When switched

I knew Glock had been playing with different finishes the last couple of years and had heard rumors about them stopping using the actual Tenifer process and today I talked to Glock Inc. and they said that yes they have stopped using Tenifer and now use a similar although not exactly the same process.The CS rep could not tell me why or when they switched.

Does anyone know when Glock stopped using the actual Tenifer process?
DirtyDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 14:49   #2
cowboy1964
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 14,396
Be aware that the metal treatment and the top coat are two different things. The Tenifer is underneath the top coat.

I just picked up a Gen 4 23. The improved grippiness of the lighter gray finish is really welcome.
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 15:12   #3
DannyR
Moderator
 
DannyR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1998
Location: Roanoke, Virginia
Posts: 38,243
GLOCK has indeed replaced the Tenifer process with a Nitrate (or Nitride) process. I think the transition took place at least a year ago. I learned of it in March 2012 at Armorer's Class.
__________________
Lifetime GSSF Member
Certified Glock Armorer 1997-2015
NROI, Level I
Bull Dawg #1
www.gssfonline.com
https://sites.google.com/site/dannyvickieryan

Last edited by DannyR; 10-04-2012 at 15:13..
DannyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:15   #4
NEOH212
Diesel Girl
 
NEOH212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: North East Ohio
Posts: 8,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1964 View Post
Be aware that the metal treatment and the top coat are two different things. The Tenifer is underneath the top coat.
Dare I say that this topic should be a sticky already....
__________________
When we do hit it we hit it out of the park and send it over to China as quickly as possible to cheapen it and sell it.
NEOH212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:59   #5
Ridder
Senior Member
 
Ridder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 181
That's true!!

When do people realize that Tenifer is not the finish on Glock slides!
And that Tenifer is with 1 "N" !

I found some interesting reading material on finishing.com

Like:
Gents, I can say with 100% certainty that the cyanide process that involves surface nitriding of metal is perfectly legal within the USA. I know this because I currently regulate 2 such processes right here in Springfield, Ohio. They both use a molten cyanide bath to introduce the nitrogen into the structure of the metal part being nitrided. Please see
www.hefusa.com and www.trutecind.com.

Jeff

Jeff Yinger
gov't - Springfield, Ohio

*****

Remember that Tenifer is not a Glock-only thing....and that it is very important how the process (Tenifer) is applied to material....wether it's a slide or a crankshaft.

Because Tenifer is not a Glock-only-thing, I doubt that they can mention the Tenifer being applied to Glock pistols on their website when they don't.....
I think Herr Tenifer won't be happy with that....

So I think they still use the Tenifer process, regardless what Glock CS reps say......or people at Armorers Courses.....I think that they only tell you things that they have heard from others they have heard it from others etc etc.....but no one really knows.

The link: http://www.finishing.com/324/69.shtml
__________________
G34 Gen4
Ridder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:27   #6
HEXE9
Shootin' Fool
 
HEXE9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Great Lakes
Posts: 917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridder View Post
So I think they still use the Tenifer process, regardless what Glock CS reps say......or people at Armorers Courses.....
My good friend is a Surefire military Rep who deals with Glock on a regular basis. This is what he told me over the past 4th of July weekend. He said the folks at Glock find it humorous all the BS they read on the forums from the supposed experts!

I've had mid and late 90's G17's and G34's who's finish didn't hold up to heavy holster use as well as a few of my more recent samples.
__________________
Living life one Glock at a time.
HEXE9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:28   #7
M 7
Senior Member
 
M 7's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by HEXE9 View Post
My good friend is a Surefire military Rep who deals with Glock on a regular basis. This is what he told me over the past 4th of July weekend. He said the folks at Glock find it humorous all the BS they read on the forums from the supposed experts!
So maybe they like spreading disinformation to see just how far it goes?

Hafta say, that'd make for an interesting weekend on the 'net, not to mention a really interesting office betting pool.
__________________
For those who CCW: QUANTITATIVE AMMUNITION SELECTION
M 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:39   #8
gwdex
Senior Member
 
gwdex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridder View Post
That's true!!

When do people realize that Tenifer is not the finish on Glock slides!
And that Tenifer is with 1 "N" !

I found some interesting reading material on finishing.com

Like:
Gents, I can say with 100% certainty that the cyanide process that involves surface nitriding of metal is perfectly legal within the USA. I know this because I currently regulate 2 such processes right here in Springfield, Ohio. They both use a molten cyanide bath to introduce the nitrogen into the structure of the metal part being nitrided. Please see
www.hefusa.com and www.trutecind.com.

Jeff

Jeff Yinger
gov't - Springfield, Ohio

*****

Remember that Tenifer is not a Glock-only thing....and that it is very important how the process (Tenifer) is applied to material....wether it's a slide or a crankshaft.

Because Tenifer is not a Glock-only-thing, I doubt that they can mention the Tenifer being applied to Glock pistols on their website when they don't.....
I think Herr Tenifer won't be happy with that....

So I think they still use the Tenifer process, regardless what Glock CS reps say......or people at Armorers Courses.....I think that they only tell you things that they have heard from others they have heard it from others etc etc.....but no one really knows.

The link: http://www.finishing.com/324/69.shtml
+1 to this Ridder. As mentioned previously, HEF USA distributes the ferritic nitrocarburizing salt, additive and oxidizing salt for the Melonite process we use. Tenifer is the European equivalent to the Melonite process. The EPA regulates the discharge of free cyanide into the environment. The Melonite process, when operated correctly, destroys free cyanide in the oxidizing bath before the parts are washed in water to remove salt residue.
gwdex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:53   #9
DirtyDan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 149
From TeamGlock@glock.us

Glock discontinued the Tenifer® heat treatment mid 2011, and is now using a gas nitriding process. Same end result using a different process. Unfortunately, we don’t have an answer for you as to whether it was a gradual phase out but we are assuming it was done at the same time.

Best regards,
Emma

I then asked a follow up question to that email and got the following answer...

The Tenifer® heat treating process ended sometime in 2009, but the slide finish had no bearing on which process had been done.


Best regards,
Technical Services
770 432-1202
FAX 770 437-4701

Last edited by DirtyDan; 10-09-2012 at 14:57..
DirtyDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 19:46   #10
AJE
*goes to 11*
 
AJE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 3,405
Send a message via AIM to AJE Send a message via Yahoo to AJE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridder View Post
That's true!!

When do people realize that Tenifer is not the finish on Glock slides!
And that Tenifer is with 1 "N" !

I found some interesting reading material on finishing.com

Like:
Gents, I can say with 100% certainty that the cyanide process that involves surface nitriding of metal is perfectly legal within the USA. I know this because I currently regulate 2 such processes right here in Springfield, Ohio. They both use a molten cyanide bath to introduce the nitrogen into the structure of the metal part being nitrided. Please see
www.hefusa.com and www.trutecind.com.

Jeff

Jeff Yinger
gov't - Springfield, Ohio

*****

Remember that Tenifer is not a Glock-only thing....and that it is very important how the process (Tenifer) is applied to material....wether it's a slide or a crankshaft.

Because Tenifer is not a Glock-only-thing, I doubt that they can mention the Tenifer being applied to Glock pistols on their website when they don't.....
I think Herr Tenifer won't be happy with that....

So I think they still use the Tenifer process, regardless what Glock CS reps say......or people at Armorers Courses.....I think that they only tell you things that they have heard from others they have heard it from others etc etc.....but no one really knows.

The link: http://www.finishing.com/324/69.shtml
Small world, I drive past one of those places every day.
__________________
Certified GLOCK Armorer
17g1, 17g4, 19, 20, 21, 22, 26, 34
AJE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 15:18   #11
BBMW
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 194
Tennifer was a nitride process (ferric nitrocarborizing?) From what I heard, they switched to Melonite, which is a different name brand of ferric nitrocarborizing. Interestingly, they're both sold by the same company.

And yes, Glock puts a cosmetic top coat on top of this.
BBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 15:22   #12
seed
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,138
Tennifer uses cyanide as a medium and is either illegal to use in the U.S. or is strictly regulated (with obvious good reason). Melonite uses a different medium and is much more common here and is probably catching on in Europe.
seed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:34   #13
gwdex
Senior Member
 
gwdex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by seed View Post
Tennifer uses cyanide as a medium and is either illegal to use in the U.S. or is strictly regulated (with obvious good reason). Melonite uses a different medium and is much more common here and is probably catching on in Europe.
Tenifer and Melonite are essentially the same process, both manufactured by HEF. Both develop a small amount of cyanide, along with the cyanates produced in the salt bath, which create a compound layer of nitride over a diffusion zone.

Greg
gwdex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 18:48   #14
DirtyDan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 149
Last new Glock I purchased was a G26 with a Manufacture date of July 2009. Slide finish is black and shiny, but the barrel looks more greyish. I had never even noticed it until reading about the different finishes and went and compared it with my older Glocks. Not real concerned about it as long it has the Tenifer under it and it sounds like I should have based on the manufacture date.
DirtyDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:56   #15
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
NRA Life Member
 
faawrenchbndr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: US
Posts: 31,934
It's all about using safer chemicals in the process.
Basically the same metal treatment.
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:16   #16
SmoKoY
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3
I was wondering that too. Got my g19 gen 3 (US not Austria) and noticed the duller finish of the slide compared to my brother's g19 gen3 mariner (Austria) which had a more glossy texture.


Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
SmoKoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:26   #17
ricklee4570
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,794
Anytime a proven process (Tennifer) is changed, people become nervous. The big question is whether the new treatment will be a durable and rust resistant as the old treatment. Time will tell.
__________________
USMC--Proud Warriors Always Ready to Fight
ricklee4570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:44   #18
fuzzy03cls
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricklee4570 View Post
Anytime a proven process (Tennifer) is changed, people become nervous. The big question is whether the new treatment will be a durable and rust resistant as the old treatment. Time will tell.
Time has already told. Many reports of the new finish sucking for wear & more reports of glocks rusting in spots from normal holster wear & carry.
Many more reports then the older glocks before they started this new process.
fuzzy03cls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 19:52   #19
Clem Eastwood
Senior Member
 
Clem Eastwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 3,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricklee4570 View Post
Anytime a proven process (Tennifer) is changed, people become nervous. The big question is whether the new treatment will be a durable and rust resistant as the old treatment. Time will tell.
the answer is no, the new treatment is not anywhere near as rust resistent. ive never rusted a tennifer glock. and within a month the new grey slide i bought with a march '12 test fire had specs of rust on it. i sent it to CCR and i havent had a problem since. the new finish is junk compared to the old one.
__________________
The Internet:

Where men are men, women are men, and teenagers and children are FBI agents.
Clem Eastwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:56   #20
ricklee4570
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,794
If they both are so similar and both have the same byproduct of cyanide, why did Glock switch?
__________________
USMC--Proud Warriors Always Ready to Fight
ricklee4570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:31   #21
gwdex
Senior Member
 
gwdex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricklee4570 View Post
If they both are so similar and both have the same byproduct of cyanide, why did Glock switch?
At this time, I'm not convinced that they have. However, that said, both the Melonite and Tenifer processes develop small amounts of cyanide and cyanate in the nitriding salt bath as the process is performed. The cyanide and cyanate are important to the reactions that take place in the salt bath as the medium interacts with the surfaces of the ferritic materials being processed. The compound layer of nitride is formed, and a diffusion zone made up of carbon and nitrogen components is immediately beneath. Once the process cycle is completed, the parts are removed from the nitride bath and immersed in a second oxidizing salt bath that chemically destroys the cyanide and cyanate. Subsequent to immersion in the oxidizing bath, the parts are removed and cooled in water to near room temperature, followed by washing to remove salt residues.

With proper immersion of the parts in the oxidizing bath, cyanide and cyanate by-products are destroyed. Analyzing the wash water will reveal that free cyanide is not present. If both processes are performed correctly, Glock should not have significant concerns with cyanide being present on the parts they surface treat after they are FNC processed.

My direct familiarity with the salt bath FNC processes noted is limited to the Melonite, as we perform said process in our company, which is involved in commercial heat treating.

Greg
gwdex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:09   #22
Ridder
Senior Member
 
Ridder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 181
Maybe they didn't.......

They still have Tenifer mentioned on their site!

http://www.glock.com/english/pistols_intro.htm
__________________
G34 Gen4
Ridder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:17   #23
SJ 40
Senior Member
 
SJ 40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vermont
Posts: 6,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridder View Post
Maybe they didn't.......

They still have Tenifer mentioned on their site!

http://www.glock.com/english/pistols_intro.htm
I wouldn't go by that their website is usually out of date. SJ 40
SJ 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:55   #24
Morris
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: North of Seattle, South of Canada
Posts: 11,163


The USA "tennifer" is indeed different than the Austria "tennifer." It came down to the EPA which would not grant US the various certificates to use the same materials. Hence, US had to fine a like and very close product that met the EPA.

This was a detailed topic in an armorer's class nearly three years ago. Gwdex writes up some of what Glock USA dealt with, in dealing with the EPA.
__________________
Neo-pagan, FORMER Libertarian, Cop, Gun Owner, Jewish Heritage - I'm the small talk at parties!

Certified Glock Armorer
Certified M&P Armorer

Say NO! to Washington I-594
Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 14:01   #25
LarryNC
Senior Member
 
LarryNC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: NC
Posts: 2,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris View Post
The USA "tennifer" is indeed different than the Austria "tennifer." It came down to the EPA which would not grant US the various certificates to use the same materials. Hence, US had to fine a like and very close product that met the EPA.

This was a detailed topic in an armorer's class nearly three years ago. Gwdex writes up some of what Glock USA dealt with, in dealing with the EPA.
Just one more reason (the EPA) to dislike that no good piece of garbage, Nixon.
__________________
"Teacher says that everytime a bell rings someone gets a new Glock."
LarryNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:21.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,118
342 Members
776 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42