Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-02-2012, 19:36   #1
Shinytop

Recommendations? Pistol and Rifle

Love my Glock but a bit expensive to shoot much. Am planning on buying a .22 pistol and rifle.

For the pistol I am thinking Ruger SR22 or Sig Mosquito.

In rifles the S&W 15-22 or Sig 522.

Would appreciate any other recommendations or thoughts from those who have used the above.
Shinytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 19:55   #2
JaPes
Rimfire 1010101

Get the S&W .22lr's.

M&P 15-22
Rimfire Forum

M&P 22
Rimfire Forum

I haven't owned/shot a Ruger SR22, but I've read too many conflicting user reviews on it. I am a former Sig Mosquito owner. Key word is former.

OR...

Instead of buying a couple .22lr's, you might want to look into learning to reload/hand-load.

Last edited by JaPes; 10-02-2012 at 19:57..
JaPes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 19:58   #3
MadMonkey
Spershul Furces

Send a message via AIM to MadMonkey Send a message via Yahoo to MadMonkey
I just bought an M&P22 pistol a few days ago and put a couple hundred flawless rounds through it... I was considering a 22/45, but the S&W is more consistent with the pistols I usually shoot, plus it's perfect for my mom and stepdad to train with.

M&P15-22 is on the list.
MadMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 20:02   #4
lwt210

The two that I have and consider to be top notch are the Smith and Wesson M&P 15-22 and a Ruger MkIII.

The M&P 15-22 is an excellent choice. I bought one for my son as he was burning through too much .223 with the ar and the Mini 14.

I was expecting a good shooter due to all the reviews I had read on it. I was pretty much blown away by its maiden performance.

We took it straight out of the box, loaded it, and shot 800 plus rounds out of it. No oil, no cleaning....nothing. Had one FTF and that was ammo related.

Great rifle.
Old 10-02-2012, 20:23   #5
JaPes
Rimfire 1010101

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwt210 View Post
The two that I have and consider to be top notch are the Smith and Wesson M&P 15-22 and a Ruger MkIII.
No argument about the Ruger MKIII's. They are amongst the best .22lr pistols.

I think the OP is going after a .22lr pistol that mimics the slide action of a center-fire semi-auto. In that case, the M&P 22 is the best choice. Mine isn't ammo sensitive. I stopped counting rounds after the 4th problem free brick of Federal bulk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMonkey View Post
M&P15-22 is on the list.
You wont' regret the choice.

Last edited by JaPes; 10-02-2012 at 20:25..
JaPes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 21:05   #6
USMC03Grunt

Ok, so last spring, I came across a Ruger SR22 at the local fun store. I've been looking for a compact small frame .22 for my son when he's old enough to safely handle a pistol and the adjustable grips on this thing, light weight and scaled down size made this a pretty good choice. However, I don't want him to get a bad gun so I've been "testing" it for him a bit here. It's been completely reliable with Federal and Remington bulk box ammo with one stovepipe when I intentionally held it VERY loose to see if I could uber-limp wrist it and make it jam up which it did but that has been the only occasion. Accuracy has also been pretty decent for a little gun of its size so I have no complaints in this department as well. I don't care so much for the short rail since a larger light like a Surefire or my Streamlight M3 won't fit so it looks like I will have to look for something along the lines of a TLR-3 or Insight X2 to work with the short rails.
Today I was at the PX at F.E. Warren in Cheyenne and picked up an M&P22 for $336 out the door. I only had this afternoon to fire it and OMG I am LOVING this little pistol! I also picked up 2 boxes of CCI mini-mags to break it in along with a few rounds of Remington Gold Bullet bulk box ammo. I was expecting a rougher trigger than what it has so that was a pleasant surprise. I fired 24 rounds at an empty 55 gallon drum about 50m out with most of the rounds hitting just to accustom myself to the trigger then settled down for 5-round groups at 15m to see how she will shoot. I was not disappointed in that from an unsupported prone, I would estimate that the groups weren't much bigger than an inch. I switched over to my bulk box to see how these would group and as expected, a little larger (about 2-3 inches) and on round 32 is where I had my first stovepipe. I'm not really upset about this though since it hasn't even been broken in yet so I went ahead and fired off the rest of the 200 rounds of mini-mags with no further problems. Afterwards I ran another 24 rounds of the Remington bulk pack ammo through it without any issues so I account for that one stoppage as being fired through a brand new pistol. So much for the good. Now for the bad.
The single dot on the front sight but nothing on the rear is a little odd and may take some getting used to. Some people claim to have swapped out the sights for Novaks used on the M&P9 without issue while others claim that using these steel sights on the alunimum slide may damage the slide so the jury's still out on swapping out sights. Also, while it worked perfectely fine, I thought the magazines were a little sharper and rougher than those with the SR22. It just didn't seem to load as smoothly as the Ruger mags. Which brings me to my next problem with the gun (not so much the gun but the way it's sold) and that it only comes with 1 magazine! Sorry but this little gun is too fun to shoot to have to reload a single magazine every time. I just placed an order this evening from S&W for an additional 2 mags so I'm hoping they are in stock and come in soon. One other thing I feel could be improved is the safety lever. My CZ, 1911s, Hi-Power, H&K, M&P45 and every other handgun with a safety lever has the pin at the very tail end of the lever. Not so with the M&P22. It's a little farther forward so if you don't make sure you press the safety down on the forward part of the pad, it's not going to move as easily as it should.
So what about the ugly? Well, not much here to complain about other than asthetics. Namely, that freakin huge neon size billboard on the right side of the slide that little Stevie freakin' Wonder could see half ways across the North cattle range! As if it's not big enough, it's whiteish color against a black slide makes it VERY hard to miss and to me, really just looks gaudy. Again, nothing that effects function, just looks like crap.
My other .22 is a Ruger Mk-II 512 bull barrel. Great gun in that it's reliable, accuracy that will put the other .22s to shame and great sights and trigger but it's also a LOT heavier and lends itself to more of a target and hunting pistol rather than a .22 caliber trainer that the others will do very well. This is especially true of the M&P that mimicks my M&P45 very closely in feel and familiar controls.
Other future options I have been considering is an Advantage Arms Glock conversion on a G19 frame to make a dedicated .22LR Glock. They have a pretty good reputation but they are also harder to come by. One other one I have considered (but generally shy away from when I come to my senses) is the Sig Mosquito. It would be nice to have a .22 with similar handling charcteristics as my full size Sigs without having to go the conversion kit route but I have heard WAY too many problems with their being ammo picky for me to purchase one. One of the big advantages of a .22 for training is the ability to use the cheapest ammo out there without choking and this is something the Mosquito has a reputation of not being able to do. Sure, mini-mags are still cheaper than centerfire ammo but with other options out there like the Mk-II or SR22 (and possibly the M&P22...still pending here) that do eat the cheap fodder without any problems, what's the point to going with the Sig?
USMC03Grunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 21:43   #7
USMC03Grunt

Oops, forgot about rifles. When it comes to "tactical .22 rifles, I have 4 of them. A Ruger 10/22 with a Choate stock and Eagle sights (they've been discontinued these days but there are other options out there as well), a Sig 522, H&K MP-5 .22 and a quasi-dedicated retro AR-15 .22 conversion with a CMMG kit.
The 10/22 is one that I've had since I was a kid back in the 80's and like most any 10/22, accuracy is pretty good and reliability is beyond question. The BX25 magazines have been excellent and have been far more durable and reliable than the Eagle, Easton, Ramline and Mitchell mags and drums of my youth. The Promag Marauder kit (a G36 dress up kit) from what I have seen has had pretty positive reviews but I will always be leery of anything with the words "Promag" on it. Choate still makes some pretty good stocks for it both in the fixed stock like I have or the folder that they also sell.
The Sig 522 has been a mixed bag for me. Frankly, it will most likely be my son's .22 auto rifle when he's mastered the single shot and repeater .22 rifles first since it does have an adjustable length of pull for younger shooters. However, it has been ammo sensitive. I've had better luck with Federal bulk packs rather than the Remingtons here but one can still expect a light strike every other magazine or so. Right now she wears an EOTech 522 (at least until my AR-10 carbine is completed and then it will find a new home on top of that rifle) but that is mainly due to the lack of decent iron sights. I've seen the factory sights and they really just don't look right on this type of rifle. If it wasn't for my up and coming shooter that needs an auto to see if he will spray and pray or use the larger magazine as a convienant way to carry ammo for accurate well placed rounds, I might have sold it by now but I doubt I will. I used to have a Bingham AK22 when I was a kid I sold when I was a young stupid kid and I don't want to make that same mistake with this rifle as well.
Now the H&K MP-5 .22 is a SWEET shooter and looks great too. I know the usual complaints about being made by an airsoft company will come around but I can tell you, there are not many problems with this rifle! To date it has been 100% reliable with both the Remington and Federal bulk pack ammo and anything else I've stuffed into the magazine that even resembled a .22LR round! Accuracy is also pretty good even with the short sight radius. What I don't like about it is the collapsible stock is convient but has a bit of vertical wobble in it. One of these days when HKparts has the fixed stock in stock, I will probably order one. More comfortable to shoot and not as much wobble. Then again, the MP5 SMG's I've used at work had the same issues as the .22 version in this regard in that the collapsing stocks aren't as comfortable to shoot and wobble as well but do make for a very compact package. As far as cleaning goes, cleaning as per the manual (which does not include removing the bolt) is pretty easy and quick to clean, especially with a bore snake to clean the barrel. However, taking it apart to pull out the bolt is a LOT more complex relatively speaking and I do this only once in a great while, maybe every year or so. Not that it can't be done or is that hard to do but just harder than what H&K reccomends and really, not needed all that often.
My last .22 rifle of this type is a retro 604 series AR-15 that has been modifed to fire .22LR only through the use of a CMMG conversion kit. I went with the retro style because the .22LR handles the 1:12" twist barrel of the old rifles better than the 1:7" or 1:9" twist of the modern rifles. Besides, retro rifles are just plain cool! This rifle can be put back to fire 5.56mm NATO ammo but it needs a few parts such as the buffer, action spring, bolt carrrier group and gas tube (all which I have in my spare parts supply) that have to be replaced. The buffer and action spring aren't needed in a conversion and the bolt carrier group is also replaced as well so I left these parts out. The problem is the .22 gas and fouling coming back down the gas tube and fouling the bolt was cured by cutting down an old gas tube and installing the stub upside down. Now the front hnadguard flange is held in place and by being installed upside down, no gas leaves the barrel to spray out under the handguards. Reliablity has been pretty good with Remington bulk pack ammo until it gets totally filthy then it will start to have problems but that's somewhere around 1,000+ rounds and I generally make it a habit to clean it well before that. Accuracy has been alright in that it will shoot minute of gopher but not nearly as accurate as a true dedicated .22 rifle. The 1:12" twist is better than the tighter twists but still not as good as the reccomended 1:16" twist used in most .22LR barrels. Then there is also the issue of freebore where the bullet is traveling down the long smooth throat of the chamber insert before it engages the rifling. To say that would be excessive freebore would be an understatement but as long as you aren't expecting match grade accuracy and are fine with blaster grade accuracy, it's not too bad. Fun to shoot and great to use on those gophers trained by Uncle Ho himself!
Other honorable mentions go go the Bingham AK22. The accuracy wasn't bad as I remember but reliability wasn't 100% which is why I foolishly sold it. Pretty accurate reproduction of an AK but today they command collector prices and any spare magazines (when they can be found) are insanely priced as well. I wish I never sold mine and one of these days I may buy another but to be honest, with no customer support and the prices they want, it's best served as a safe queen.
USMC03Grunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 20:49   #8
copo9560

The S&W 15-22 looks like a nice rifle but is very pricey for a 22. My son has a Marlin carbine that is very reliable, accurate and cost a little over $100 on sale. Ruger 10-22 is another great option, costs more than the Marlin but has more aftermarket support, in particular larger magazines. The new takedown Ruger is a pretty nice set-up as well.

Ruger 22's are excellent pistols but be warned they are a pain in the ass to take apart and clean.
copo9560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 21:17   #9
CMG

The only item on your list I didn't care for was the Mosquito. YMMV
Old 10-03-2012, 04:15   #10
skeeter7
Brass Vulture

Do yourself a favor...STAY FAR AWAY FROM THE MOSQUITO! I used to own one and sold it to purchase a Browning Buck Mark Practical URX. Much better. I also own the 15-22 and must say that it is a joy to shoot. Never had a hiccup with either the buckmark pistol or the 15-22 rifle.
NECC #401
skeeter7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:48   #11
dukeguy

I recently bought the M&P 22 for my wife. Great little shooter!

And don't rule out the Ruger 10/22.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:40   #12
SGT278ACR
Retired Veteran

As far as the pistol goes... I say go with the Ruger SR22. Had mine for about a month and love it. Awesome little pistola!
Old 10-03-2012, 16:05   #13
Shinytop

I bought the 15-22 today. Got the MOE green one for $459 at Academy. I went to my LGS first and they wanted 600 so the 459 looked real good. Got some ammo and will shoot this weekend.

Also traded my G22 for a G21 and plan on getting a 22 conversion kit for a 22 pistol. Now just got to figure out how to hide it all from my wife
Shinytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 20:28   #14
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinytop View Post
Love my Glock but a bit expensive to shoot much. Am planning on buying a .22 pistol and rifle.

For the pistol I am thinking Ruger SR22 or Sig Mosquito.
The Ruger is decent, but the Sig is junk.

I recommend a steel rimfire, such as the Ruger Mark III.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 00:30   #15
twag4

My sr22 has over 2000 rounds with no probs. eats everything and is surprisingly accurate for its small size. Two mags included too.