Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-02-2012, 19:28   #1
cpaustin

G36 +1 mag issue

Long story short, I have a glock 36 that has feed issues when I install the +1 mag extension. Does anyone know where I can buy a stronger spring for these magazines to allow me to use these extensions?

Thanks in advance.
cpaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 19:32   #2
icelandicstud

gunspring.com ?
icelandicstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 20:15   #3
WinterWizard

Doesn't Wolff make a +10% spring?
WinterWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:16   #4
cpaustin

Well that's not my issue. I replaced the original base plates and still have the fail to eject issues so I'm thinking I may have the issue that plagues several g36 owners. I did read that someone replaced the extractor rod with a g30 extractor rod but I'm having trouble finding extractor rods online to purchase. Glockstore.com doesn't seem to sell one and I've been unable to find one anywhere else.
Question for anyone with a G36 who's made this change...where did you get the extractor rod?
Old 10-03-2012, 12:53   #5
fastbolt

Before you start replacing things thinking it's a "gun" problem, it might be prudent to expand your consideration of influences that might be at work.

First of all, how experienced are you in shooting plastic-framed pistols, especially Glocks, and especially smallish pistols chambered in .45 ACP?

What ammunition are you using when this issue occurs?

Is the G36 properly clean & lubricated?

is it a current production G36, or did you buy it used? (Who knows what the previous owner did to it?)

Are you experiencing feeding or extraction and/or ejection issues? What's it doing, or not doing?

Do you have a currently certified Glock armorer in your area who could check out your particular G36?

FWIW, day in and day out, more than 90% of the "gun problems" experienced by the "average" owners of semiautomatic pistols are actually caused, in one manner or another, by the owners. (usually due to something involving familiarity with a specific gun, skillset, technique, experience, etc).

Ammunition issues follow that, but to a much lesser degree.

Actual problems with the gun occur least frequently of all, but can still happen.
Sub Club #9; .40 S&W Club #1953; S&W Club #3913
Retired LE - firearms instructor/armorer
fastbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 13:08   #6
cpaustin

Those are all good questions. I've answered below.

Before you start replacing things thinking it's a "gun" problem, it might be prudent to expand your consideration of influences that might be at work.

First of all, how experienced are you in shooting plastic-framed pistols, especially Glocks, and especially smallish pistols chambered in .45 ACP?

I own 4 other glocks. 26/27/21/29. Never had a single issue with any of those so I feel pretty confident that it's not a grip or "limp-wrist" issue. I had 2 other people at the local range shoot it and both experienced at least one FTE.

What ammunition are you using when this issue occurs?

I've tried WWB, Speer Lawman, and Federal all FMJ. I've only shot about 20 rounds of JHP through it. Didn't experience an issue with gold dot but with only 20 rounds fired I can't say for sure that ammo would perform flawlessly.

Is the G36 properly clean & lubricated?

Yes I cleaned and lubed it before I first took it out and after each range trip

is it a current production G36, or did you buy it used? (Who knows what the previous owner did to it?)

Bought it new about 6 months ago

Are you experiencing feeding or extraction and/or ejection issues? What's it doing, or not doing?

The spent shell is not fully extracting from the chamber. It will pop out about half-way but the slide will retract all the way and "grab" the next round in the mag causing it to wedge under the un-extracted casing.

Do you have a currently certified Glock armorer in your area who could check out your particular G36?

I'm in Austin so I'm sure there are several here. Not a bad idea to go talk to one and let them look at it.

FWIW, day in and day out, more than 90% of the "gun problems" experienced by the "average" owners of semiautomatic pistols are actually caused, in one manner or another, by the owners. (usually due to something involving familiarity with a specific gun, skillset, technique, experience, etc).

Ammunition issues follow that, but to a much lesser degree.

Actual problems with the gun occur least frequently of all, but can still happen.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:44   #7
WinterWizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastbolt View Post
+1000 this.

Not saying this is what's going on with the OP's gun, but I would also estimate that 90% of gun "malfunctions" are caused by negligence of some kind, whether it be maintenance, cleaning, lubing or improper use, etc...

Guns are like cars. You can wait till they break down, or you can prevent the break down. You can never eliminate that 10% unavoidable break down, but you can eliminate the other 90%.
Old 10-03-2012, 13:34   #8
emb111

Midway has the Wolfe 10% more Magazine Springs. For the Pearce +1 to function properly, you will need that stronger spring. Replace the mag spring and that should solve the issue.
emb111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 13:54   #9
F106 Fan

Before you change a lot of gun parts, consider the following: You said your gun failed when you added the +1 extension. How did it work before you made the change?

If the gun worked before the mag change, I don't see the reasoning behind looking for an extractor rod. Put the magazine back the way it came and call if good!

Richard
Old 10-03-2012, 19:38   #10
cpaustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by F106 Fan View Post
Before you change a lot of gun parts, consider the following: You said your gun failed when you added the +1 extension. How did it work before you made the change?

If the gun worked before the mag change, I don't see the reasoning behind looking for an extractor rod. Put the magazine back the way it came and call if good!

Richard
I never fired it before the mag change. I replaced the factory base plates and found that it was exhibiting the same behavior as with the extensions. I just mistakenly blamed the extensions for my issue.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:39   #11
WinterWizard

OP, sounds like an extractor issue to me, if your extractor is failing to grasp the rim of the casing and pull it out of the chamber.

Inspect your extractor closely, even perhaps remove it from the slide and thoroughly clean it. Often times, that slide has been released on an empty chamber many times in the gun store by stupid idiots and that extractor can be chipped or otherwise damaged, which is why I prefer to buy brand new guns that haven't been pawed up by the idiot masses.

Last edited by WinterWizard; 10-04-2012 at 12:40..
Old 10-04-2012, 19:10   #12
MNBud

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterWizard View Post
OP, sounds like an extractor issue to me, if your extractor is failing to grasp the rim of the casing and pull it out of the chamber.

Inspect your extractor closely, even perhaps remove it from the slide and thoroughly clean it. Often times, that slide has been released on an empty chamber many times in the gun store by stupid idiots and that extractor can be chipped or otherwise damaged, which is why I prefer to buy brand new guns that haven't been pawed up by the idiot masses.
Dropping the slide on an empty chamber should have no affect on the extractor, possibly dropping the slide on a round that you have manually dropped. Into the chamber after a period of time MAY have an affect but I still question that,being hardened as it is and moving over a brass rim and being spring loaded.

Sub club #622
Certified Glock armorer
MNBud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:57   #13
HenryinFlorida

I use the Pierce +0 and +1 Mag Extensions and haven't had any problems with FTE or FTF. Maybe I'm just lucky....
HenryinFlorida is offline   Reply With Quote