Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-30-2012, 18:48   #1
grayi6

XD - durability/repairability/parts availability

Starting to investigate XD's and have done quite a bit of reading. I am a huge fan of the grip safety. A few things come to mind that I was hoping I could get some feedback on. My hope would be to buy, leave totally stock, and keep for very very long time.

1) is XD now considered to be on par with the industry's best for long term durability, reliability, and ruggedness?

2) is difficulty of detailed stripping a consideration?

3) is availability of repair parts and ease of repair an issue that would keep you from purchasing?

thank you
grayi6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 20:32   #2
bac1023

Just as durable as Glock

Parts availability is good, but aftermarket parts are still not as widely available as they are for Glocks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 13:02   #3
40frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
Just as durable as Glock

Parts availability is good, but aftermarket parts are still not as widely available as they are for Glocks.
I hate to bring this up, but I would like your opinion on it. What do you think of the reports of the striker retainer pin breakage? I have heard it was from dry firing without snap caps. However, unless I am mistaken, you have to dry fire to field strip. I would appreciate your input. Thanks.
40frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 14:24   #4
deputy tom

I'm a huge fan of XD's. The .45 fits my hands better than a Glock 9mm. I know SA has excellent CS but only needed to find out once ( not with an XD ). Good luck in your quest. tom.

SPES MEA IN DEO EST

Thig crioch air an t-saoghal ach mairidh gaol agus cel The world will come to an end but music and love will endure
deputy tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 20:52   #5
Dawolf

I love my XD Duty in 357. It has been very reliable for the past year. I lost count of how many rounds (good thing I have gotten the hang of reloading it).
Dawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 20:39   #6
samuse

If you like it shoot it.

I've seen quite a few 9mm XDs and I don't recall ever seeing one with problems.

I don't know how to detail strip one.

Springfield has great warranty/customer service.

ETA: Don't ask about 'em on M4carbine, they don't like 'em over there.

Quote:
You suck at...well, everything so far.

Last edited by samuse; 09-30-2012 at 20:39..
samuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 21:09   #7
countrygun

20 months with an XDm .45 and having a ball with it. If I needed another auto loader (I already have the calibers covered with guns I like)or if they made it in 10mm, I'd have more than one for sure.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 21:28   #8
ksmedman

Proud owner of an XD45 tactical (5" version) for over two years now. Probably around 2200 rounds so far.
Not immense, but enough to know it's a well made pistol.
No issues at all. In fact I've never had any kind of failure, no FTF, FTE, nothing. Even crap ammo, cast lead reloads, etc... feed and fire reliably.

Technically, it's been more reliable than my G19, though I in no way feel like my Glock is in any way unreliable. Just had a couple FTE's in the first 100. I love my Glock.

I will say that the striker retainer roll pin on my XD will move about 1/64th? "out" of the slide after a couple hundred rounds, just enough to feel the difference. Pushes right back in though, and never effects performance.
I imagine at some point it may work loose. or break, or whatever. Simple part to stock and replace fortunately.

XD's are a great value. I like the bore axis on Glock's better, and the XD's are heavier for the same stats, but I would never feel like I had a second class firearm with an XD. JMHO, etc...
ksmedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 19:40   #9
grayi6

Thank you for the input.
grayi6 is offline   Reply With Quote