SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-28-2012, 05:57   #1
00Glazz

Info on P64, as well as Makarovs.

Hello all,

I have been gone from the forums for awhile do to work etc, but now I am back and have some questions!

First off I have a gentleman near me who has offered to sell me his P64 in excellent condition for 150$. I know nothing about these pistols other than the d/a trigger sucks major @$$ and that they shoot the same 9x18 mak ammo as Makarovs. Secondly what is the general opinion on makarovs? I have found tons at all different prices (189.00-450.00) Just debating on if I want to buy one of them here soon as well!

Thanks everyone!
cglaspel
00Glazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:11   #2
M2 Carbine

I've owned three P-64 pistols for a long time but got rid of them recently.
The P-64 is a decent gun but with a bad trigger and it kicks like hell. Few people I've seen will shoot a whole box of rounds at one time.
It is accurate and reliable.
Top right in the picture.
General Firearms Forum

I have about 17 Makarovs (lost count). I had 25 but let some go to friends.
Excellent gun.
Now days it's hard to find Maks in like new condition and they run about $400.
Several different countries made the Makarov, China, East Germany, Bulgaria and of course Russia. They are all good, with the East German having the best fit and finish.
There are even "civilian" models of the gun, like this Bulgarian Mak with a square trigger guard (center right). Next to it is a Bulgarian Mak with a Bulgarian 22LR conversion kit.
General Firearms Forum

I ran across this beautiful East German Mak that a gun dealer had refinished for his personal gun.
General Firearms Forum

One of my Maks looks like it was a range gun. It shows a LOT of wear, not beat up but a lot of wear. It is still as accurate and reliable as a new Makarov.

So, IMO, you can't go wrong with a Makarov. Just shop around for the best price and best condition.

Last edited by M2 Carbine; 09-28-2012 at 08:14..
M2 Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:17   #3
Needles_Kane

$150's a good price for a Radom P64. See if you can shoot it first, they're kinda brutal recoil wise. Very nicely made though, built like a beefed up PPK. I sold mine, but I kept my East German Mak, which is more comfortable to shoot.
Needles_Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:34   #4
00Glazz

WOW M2 Carbine! That is an awesome collection! Thanks for all of the info as well! I would definitely love to get my hands on a nice makarov sometime. Seems unless I want to buy one online and have it shipped to ffl etc etc( Which soon il have my C&R whenever the BATFE gets back to me) I am not really finding too many around me for sale :/ Someday soon though!

Needles Kane, Good I am glad to hear that 150 is a good price because I cant find too many for sale anywhere I normally shop. I will have to see if I can test shoot it beforehand.

Also I am assuming the maks and p64's are all steel correct? Pretty heavy when loaded or no?
Old 09-28-2012, 08:46   #5
M2 Carbine

Quote:
Also I am assuming the maks and p64's are all steel correct? Pretty heavy when loaded or no?
Yes, all steel but they aren't heavy. They aren't very big guns.

Mak and P-64.
General Firearms Forum

Mak and S&W J Frame.
General Firearms Forum
M2 Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:42   #6
countrygun

I suppose I have to get a 64 We have a pair of CZ 82s a Bulgy Mak and a pa 63 (one on the nastiest pistols to fire I know of.) I might as well round the collection out.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:01   #7
plouffedaddy

That's a P64 review I did a while back. For $150 I say jump on it and replace the mainspring (I did). It makes it a much more usable gun.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Certified Glock Armorer
plouffedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 19:57   #8
bac1023

I have a P64 and a Makarov. I like them both.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:03   #9
00Glazz

Update! Ended up picking that P64 up. Actually ended up trading the guy my Taurus 738. Got the pistol, 2 mags and holster + 50$ for my Taurus so all in all not bad I would say! Going to go shoot it tonight!! Cant wait!
Old 09-29-2012, 06:42   #10
hogship
It's MY Island

General Firearms Forum

Bulgarian Makarov at 4 o'clock in photo........

I have one Bulgarian Makarov, and although I'm extremely impressed with it, and actually prefer it over my PPK/s......I would not buy either a Makarov, or the P64 at the current prices. At the price they bring, there are much better options that shoot commonly obtainable ammunition.

Both Makarov and P64 are the size one would consider as a ccw gun......but, neither are as light and handy as what else is available now days.......

I bought my Bulgarian Makarov for $129 with all the accessories, and I believe it had never seen any use prior to my getting it........at that price, I'd think about it.......but getting a good one for that price would now be your lucky day! I'm to the point where it's just not worth dealing with the negatives, when adding a hundred bucks will get a much better gun for the purpose of ccw.

The Makarov was a belt gun intended for service carry......military and police. It served this purpose well for many years, but why would one actually choose one over.......say a Glock 17, or similar? I certainly wouldn't.......

At $150, that P64 is very attractive.........but, you will be among the very few, if it's still your choice a few years from now.......

ooc

At first, I couldn't stand those original red grips, and replaced them with black Russian grips. Now the red grips are back on, and I've decided I do like them, after all.......
General Firearms Forum
Visit my Vietnam photo album, 1968-69 click on link

Last edited by hogship; 09-29-2012 at 06:44..
hogship is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
makarov, p64, pa63, pistol, semiauto