Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-14-2012, 22:30   #1
redbrd

Range Report "American Classic II (budget .45)

Last week a picked up a Metro Arms "American Classic II" (made in the PI).
Aside from the irony of the name and its place of manufacture, its a nice looking gun with good fit and finish, smooth trigger, and novak style sights. At $430 out the door a deal, I think anyway.
Finally got it to the range for a proper shooting. It is accurate. First two round were less than an inch at 12-15m. All said I put maybe 75 rnds through it 12m-25m and no group was larger than the size of my palm.
On the subject of reliability... I did have a number of jams (5-7 didn't think to keep track). All of them were failure to feed/failure to return to battery. I was shooting mostly FMJ 230 grain ammo. Almost all the jams were they gun locked tight on a live round about 1/8 in give or take a smidge. Pretty hard (real hard) to clear, I suspect the OAL might have been a bit more than the gun likes (it was factory loads, but mild target loads).
I did shoot a Gold Dots and Some old Rangers, they functioned with out a hitch. Wasn't enough of a test to really determine reliability for SD. The SD ammo was significantly and very noticably hotter. Hard to imagine that return to battery would be an issue with them.
Any way pretty happy with the "American Classic " for the money. Won't be counting on it as a carry weapon until I sort out the RTB issues, but it was fun to shoot. At $430 still seems like a deal.
redbrd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 23:13   #2
Jager247

those are nice pistols. is it full size or commander? if it's the commander, replace the mag release and your problems will go away, if it's a full size, i dont know what to tell you. I put close to 1k rounds though my full size then sold it for a springer micro.

I Like the commander size a lot better. it was accurate and felt great. all the of the ACII's i have fondled have had great triggers also.
Jager247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 00:07   #3
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Swap out the magazines. Filipino guns for some reasons don't tend to like the Italian-made ACT mags that come with them.
Old 09-15-2012, 03:03   #4
redbrd

It is the Full size.
I bought some CMC mags but still had the ACT in circulation so that is a possible culprit.
It seemed like the ball ammo was pretty light. The SD ammo definetly had the weapon cycling at a much faster rate. I was thinking that I may need to look at recoil springs.
Most likely I will put some more and different ammo through it before I make too many changes, and take a more deliberate look at the ACT magazine.

I considered the Commander but I had a 3"Kimber that was a nightmare reliability wise. So when I got the 1911 bug I decided to stick to the 5". So far even with the FRTB's its still more reliable than the 3" was.
Old 09-15-2012, 16:05   #5
Unk

Have a MA American Classic Commander, shoots fine w/ball and WW Ranger T 230 gr JHP +P, see;

1911 Forums

need to shoot some more to prove for carry but good so far.
Unk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 20:26   #6
ctfireman

I had one for a while & it ran great. Solid 1911 for the price & nice trigger. I sold it to a member here when i was "thinning the herd".

Rest in peace Okie, your memory will live on forever.
ctfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 23:25   #7
bac1023

Congrats!

I've got the Firestorm DLX, which is the exact same gun.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:30   #8
redbrd

I am pretty sure its the ammo. It is factory ammo fmj that has worked fine in my g30, but.... I experienced a similiar malfunction using my 26 with reloads that I had made a bit long (OAL). I will check the OAL, my bet is it is probably close to the max.
The last round is chambered almost all the way. When clearing the slide is locked tight.