Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-19-2012, 18:40   #1
CranialCrusader

My new mini-ITX gaming rig

I put together a system to play games on my 42" Panasonic plasma TV. There really isn't a whole lot of information online about mini-ITX for gaming, it seems the focus is on media center PCs at that form factor.

I ordered everything from Newegg. Spent a little extra on the case and motherboard (with all the latest features, including wifi) so that I could upgrade to ivy bridge & a better video card once prices drop. It should run all modern games well enough now though. I also sprung for the SSD to make load times fast.

Case: SILVERSTONE Sugo Series SG06BB-450 ALL Black Aluminum / SECC Mini-ITX Desktop Computer Case with SFX 450W 80+ Bronze Certified / Single +12V rail Power Supply with 2 X USB3.0 ports (Black) - $154.99

Main board:ASRock Z77E-ITX LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard - $149.99

Processor: Intel Core i3-2120 Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor - $124.99

Hard drive Crucial: M4 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - $89.99

Video Card: GIGABYTE GV-R667D3-1GI Radeon HD 6670 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card - $69.99 ($20 mail in rebate)

RAM: (8 GB) G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM - $56.99

Optical drive: LITE-ON 8X Slim Internal DVD Burner - $24.99

Total cost came to $772.92 - $20 MIR brings it darn close to $750.

The build went very well. Just a couple of minor issues which were resolved quickly. It's a tight fit though.

So far I put Portal 1 and Portal 2 on it, which it runs flawlessly on all the highest settings. The stock cooler for the intel processor does a surprisingly good job.

I'm having trouble transferring the photo over so I will add it later.

CranialCrusader
Old 08-19-2012, 18:44   #2
CranialCrusader

I'm still looking for a gaming keyboard & mouse (using some 2nd hand stuff right now). I'm not sure if I should go wireless (and deal with the latency) or get real "gaming" stuff so that I can have macro buttons on the keyboard & dual optical sensors, etc.

It would be nice to have wireless since I'm going to be putting the system into my TV console soon. There are two USB ports in the front of the case.

CranialCrusader
Old 02-17-2013, 09:35   #3
pal2511

Send a message via AIM to pal2511
Go wireless.

I would hope you have made your decision by now.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:44   #4
CranialCrusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by pal2511 View Post
Go wireless.

I would hope you have made your decision by now.

I tried to use wireless, when it worked it was fine, but it would often cut out for half a second, I even put the sensor in the front USB port. I took it back and got an SIIG wired keyboard and a USB extension cord. It works great.

I've since played Fallout New Vegas, Counter Strike GO (man is that tough compared ~15 years ago), Skyrim with HD textures and a couple of water mods, although that is the limit of my video card. Lately I've been playing Kerbal Space Program, which is great if you are a nerd.

With the SSD load times on Skyrim are fantastic! Highly recommend it.

CranialCrusader
Old 02-17-2013, 12:07   #5
pal2511

Have you tried playing any games with the HD4000 graphics or does your CPU not support it?

I am in process of building a HTPC and I would like to play some light gaming also...

I am looking at getting a gigabyte mini itx board to go with my I3 and just stick with the HD4000. Only game I really want to play is star craft 2 and some retro emulators.

I am going to have an Intel 530 in it
Old 02-17-2013, 12:28   #6
CranialCrusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by pal2511 View Post
Have you tried playing any games with the HD4000 graphics or does your CPU not support it?

I went with a sandy bridge processor with HD3000 graphics and only used it once when I was first putting the system together, so I can not comment on the use for gaming. I have uninstalled the driver for it.

For built in graphics I would have taken a stronger look at an AMD system.

Good luck,
CranialCrusader
Old 02-28-2013, 14:51   #7
Atlas
transmogrifier

Mini-ITX (also Micro-ITX) is cool!

Another vendor:
http://www.logicsupply.com/

Uncontrolled, unaccountable government spending + Graduated income-tax = SLAVERY
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 16:38   #8
pal2511

I always wanted a dedicated in car computer... Problem is finding a screen for a reasonable price and I don't want to do a Ghetto build.

On a sidenote I did go with a mini itx board for myself and I am debating on if I want to get a new video card or not...sure would like a new Radeon 7890 myst edition (i think thats the number)...

I don't know if it would be fast enough to play a game with a lowly I3 though.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:55   #9
GIockGuy24
Bring M&M's

Nice setup. I recently built a micro ATX with a Z75 and a low profile AMD 7670, which has the exact same specs as the 6670, AMD just renamed it to match the rest of their 7000 series. The Core i5 and the Core i7 both make a lot of heat when under load. This is the first time I've gone with liquid cooling. I chose the cooling carefully as I've seen a lot of leaky systems. I'm running Debian Linux, which also influenced my hardware choices for compatibility.