SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-06-2012, 18:27   #1
MNSurvival
EDC Enthusiast

This past week I've been open carrying

As the titles says, I have been carrying openly with w/ my level 2 retention serpa holster for the past 7 days. I carry a Gen 3 Glock 23 w/ pachmyr grip and tru glow night sights (green and yellow). My normal carry holster is a Crossbreed Supertuck Deluxe.

I live in the heart of Minneapolis so it is funny to see the different looks I received on occasion. However for the most part nobody really says a word or seems to bother to even notice I'm carrying. Which is surprising because I have gone about my daily routines the same (grocery store, liquor store, target, home depot, gander mountain) while just openly carrying. For me it's different.. It's a new thing so to speak... as I prefer concealment, but it's nice to mix it up once in a while. I had one person who asked me if I was an undercover police officer lol.

Anyways I just wanted to share that and also get feedback from others on their experiences from carrying concealed or openly.

-Alex

Last edited by MNSurvival; 04-06-2012 at 18:28..
MNSurvival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 19:22   #2
257 roberts

its not allowed in Fla. but I wouldn't do it anyway( I don't want anyone to know I have a gun till its time)
257 roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:23   #3
The_Gun_Guru
Ban Democrats!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 257 roberts View Post
its not allowed in Fla. but I wouldn't do it anyway( I don't want anyone to know I have a gun till its time)
I DO want OC here in FL.....as an option

TGG
Kalashnikov Klub #4519
OD G19 - LOTS of AKs - Only ONE AR....but it's a Colt!
NO AMNESTY FOR ILLEGAL ALIENS!!!
This is America. If you can't or won't speak English, PLEASE LEAVE!!!
The_Gun_Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 22:40   #4
Ford302Glock21
Chrome Horsie

Send a message via AIM to Ford302Glock21 Send a message via Yahoo to Ford302Glock21

It is legal in florida under certain circumstances which I believe are on your way to and from hunting, fishing, and camping. I have not had the oppertunity yet but I would like to try it. I think I would be pretty wierded out walking through a store or mall though. In most typical activities I would prefer to keep the upper hand concealed. Just walking around your own property or doing outdoors stuff I think it would be cool

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Ford302Glock21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 23:59   #5
CajunBass

Send a message via AIM to CajunBass
That's been my experience here in central Virginia also.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
CajunBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 00:07   #6
Folsom_Prison
Brew Crew

Kansas is an open carry state, but what I've found it depends on the county. I've kinda treaded the waters so to speak but can't find my local county laws. In the end I prefer concealed.
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."

8-Ball
Folsom_Prison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 00:08   #7
glock2740
Gun lover.

I prefer concealed carry. I like the "surprise factor".
glock2740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 13:00   #8
toddmog

Quote:
Originally Posted by G19_AJ View Post
Kansas is an open carry state, but what I've found it depends on the county. I've kinda treaded the waters so to speak but can't find my local county laws. In the end I prefer concealed.
It's not a county law in KS, it's city. Example...open carry is legal in Olathe, but not Overland Park. They are neighboring cities in the same county.
toddmog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:34   #9
redrick

If we scare enough people by open carrying our pistols, we will soon start seeing businesses posting no firearms allowed signs at their doors and lawmakers passing tougher laws on carrying a firearm.
redrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:33   #10
hogship
It's MY Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrick View Post
If we scare enough people by open carrying our pistols, we will soon start seeing businesses posting no firearms allowed signs at their doors and lawmakers passing tougher laws on carrying a firearm.
This is probably true, and would be the initial "knee-jerk" reaction......but, the crime rate would likely drop.

There is a big advantage to reminding the bad guys there is a price to pay for bad behavior....... because "an armed society is a polite society". I really do believe that is true.

You know there was another time when it was commonplace to see armed citizens. Nobody gave it much of a thought. It's unrealistic to think open carry would be accectable right away, but it could transition over a period of many years......and, if it did, it would be a good thing for cleaning up our rampant criminal element.

If open carry were common, then concealed carry would be equally as common.......and, I'd be one of the latter for most of the time.

I did open carry a few times, about 30 years ago.....and, it did not go well for me. People were skepical and I didn't like the "attitude" I saw.

ooc
Visit my Vietnam photo album, 1968-69 click on link

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
hogship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:49   #11
AA#5

Quote:
Exactly what's been happening. I hope these attention addicts think more gun laws are worth it.
AA#5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:02   #12
carbuncle
is not cool.

Quote:
This nicely summarizes my opinion on open carry, thanks!
Old 04-07-2012, 12:22   #13
FCastle88

Quote:
Most businesses who are anti-gun and willing to drive away some costumers already have signs. And most states where politicians could get away with tougher guns laws already have them, a few people open carrying aren't going to sway anyone to the other side..
FCastle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 14:00   #14
oldman11

Quote:
I saw a sign like that in a Walmart store in Texas last week. I didn't write it down, so I don't have exact wording, but it was something like "unlicensed guns are not allowed in store". Problem is we don't license guns in Texas. I'll have to go back in the next couple of days and take pen & paper so I can get it accurately.
oldman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:44   #15
dyobvk

Quote:
I went to address an issue at Comcast Cable Billing Office here in Nasville and before there was no signs. Now there is a sign posted at the entrance that says no knifes or firearms allowed beyond this point. I just figured something must have happen. I was on my motorcycle and was not about to drive all the way back home....So I conceal carried.
dyobvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:53   #16
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

THANK YOU FOR NOT LIVING IN PENNSYLVANIA!

(The moms, dads, and their children are already terrified enough.)
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:20   #17
Bob Hafler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc Angel View Post
THANK YOU FOR NOT LIVING IN PENNSYLVANIA!
.)

+1
Sounds like he's looking for a little attention, a need to be noticed. Got to tell ya,I'm so not impressed.

Last edited by Bob Hafler; 04-07-2012 at 09:21..
Bob Hafler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:21   #18
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hafler View Post
+1

Sounds like he's looking for a little attention, a need to be noticed. Got to tell ya,I'm so not impressed.
Here's what I've got against open carry:

1. Virginia Polytechnical Institute, and Cho, Seung-Hui.

2. Luby's Cafeteria, and George Hennard.

3. Gabrielle Giffords, and Jared Loughner.

4. And dozens and dozens of other modern massacres by seemingly innocuous individuals who suddenly and (for all practical intents and purposes) inexplicably went insane with a gun-in-hand.

Trust me on this: The larger body of the general public does not know about and does not care for firearms. I know it's difficult for many gun forum aficionados to understand; but, a large majority of the general public IS NOT GOING TO CONSIDER AN INDIVIDUAL WITH AN EXPOSED FIREARM TO BE AN, 'EDUCATOR' OR A, 'GOOD WILL AMBASSADOR' FOR THE 2ND AMENDMENT. (Got it, yet?)

In 21st century America anyone walking around in public with an exposed firearm is thought of in only one of two ways: Such an individual is, either, an officer of the law or a possible lunatic whose potential for mayhem might be revealed at any moment. It's unrealistic, myopic, introverted, and rude for any of us to think otherwise.

Firearms are NOT, 'machines designed to throw lead balls' Oliver Winchester might have thought this; but, for a fact, his daughter Sarah (and her very troubled conscience) did not! The primary purpose for a firearm is to ....... END LIFE. In today's violent modern society anyone wearing an exposed firearm must be suspect. Both common sense and personal security demand such an evaluation! Anyone who fails to realize this FUNDAMENTAL REALITY of daily life in the Western Hemisphere is, to be perfectly blunt, A SOCIALLY OBTUSE, 'OFF THE GRID' IDIOT!

Awhile ago I was eating dinner in a stuffy Texas Roadhouse restaurant. The place was warm; so I decided to quietly slip off my jacket while we ate. A man, his wife, and 3 children were sitting across from our table. Nobody else in the room noticed I was armed; but, this father did; and it was only a matter of seconds before he began looking back and forth between his children, and me! That father didn't care about anybody's 2nd Amendment rights; he wasn't interested in, 'being educated'. All he cared about was the stranger with the large black gun who was sitting across from him at dinner.

Know what? I don't blame him! I do the same thing, myself, whenever I'm out in public and see a stranger with a gun. If I don't know the gunman (and, sometimes, if I do) I'm automatically suspicious and watchful. Guns aren't computers. Computers are for teaching and information retrieval. Guns are for self-defense and ending life. It isn't Christian; it isn't neighborly to demand that another person MUST EXAMINE your personal motives for flashing a gun in public.

All this pseudo-intellectual crap about demonstrating for 2nd Amendment rights, and educating the general public to their right to keep and bear firearms is a load of horse hooey. No well-hung adult male needs to wear an exposed firearm in public. Only self-centered and conceited, 'little boys' do rude and ill-considered things like that.

NOTE: For anyone who has trouble mentally digesting the above points-of-view, how about, at least, doing all the rest of us who quietly carry concealed a really big favor: The next time you feel the urge to expose your gun in public show other people the courtesy of wearing a Boy Scout uniform and carrying a dictionary - OK!

(At least this way your aberrant social behavior will be more comprehensible and your subjective motivations less suspect.)
Old 04-07-2012, 12:11   #19
FCastle88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc Angel View Post
Here's what I've got against open carry:

1. Virginia Polytechnical Institute, and Cho, Seung-Hui.

2. Luby's Cafeteria, and George Hennard.

3. Gabrielle Giffords, and Jared Loughner.

4. And dozens and dozens of other modern massacres by seemingly innocuous individuals who suddenly and (for all practical intents and purposes) inexplicably went insane with a gun-in-hand.

Trust me on this: The larger body of the general public does not know about and does not care for firearms. I know it's difficult for many gun forum aficionados to understand; but, a large majority of the general public IS NOT GOING TO CONSIDER AN INDIVIDUAL WITH AN EXPOSED FIREARM TO BE AN, 'EDUCATOR' OR A, 'GOOD WILL AMBASSADOR' FOR THE 2ND AMENDMENT. (Got it, yet?)

In 21st century America anyone walking around in public with an exposed firearm is thought of in only one of two ways: Such an individual is, either, an officer of the law or a possible lunatic whose potential for mayhem might be revealed at any moment. It's unrealistic, myopic, introverted, and rude for any of us to think otherwise.

Firearms are NOT, 'machines designed to throw lead balls' Oliver Winchester might have thought this; but, for a fact, his daughter Sarah (and her very troubled conscience) did not! The primary purpose for a firearm is to ....... END LIFE. In today's violent modern society anyone wearing an exposed firearm must be suspect. Both common sense and personal security demand such an evaluation! Anyone who fails to realize this FUNDAMENTAL REALITY of daily life in the Western Hemisphere is, to be perfectly blunt, A SOCIALLY OBTUSE, 'OFF THE GRID' IDIOT!

Awhile ago I was eating dinner in a stuffy Texas Roadhouse restaurant. The place was warm; so I decided to quietly slip off my jacket while we ate. A man, his wife, and 3 children were sitting across from our table. Nobody else in the room noticed I was armed; but, this father did; and it was only a matter of seconds before he began looking back and forth between his children, and me! That father didn't care about anybody's 2nd Amendment rights; he wasn't interested in, 'being educated'. All he cared about was the stranger with the large black gun who was sitting across from him at dinner.

Know what? I don't blame him! I do the same thing, myself, whenever I'm out in public and see a stranger with a gun. If I don't know the gunman (and, sometimes, if I do) I'm automatically suspicious and watchful. Guns aren't computers. Computers are for teaching and information retrieval. Guns are for self-defense and ending life. It isn't Christian; it isn't neighborly to demand that another person MUST EXAMINE your personal motives for flashing a gun in public.

All this pseudo-intellectual crap about demonstrating for 2nd Amendment rights, and educating the general public to their right to keep and bear firearms is a load of horse hooey. No well-hung adult male needs to wear an exposed firearm in public. Only self-centered and conceited, 'little boys' do rude and ill-considered things like that.

NOTE: For anyone who has trouble mentally digesting the above points-of-view, how about, at least, doing all the rest of us who quietly carry concealed a really big favor: The next time you feel the urge to expose your gun in public show other people the courtesy of wearing a Boy Scout uniform and carrying a dictionary - OK!

(At least this way your aberrant social behavior will be more comprehensible and your subjective motivations less suspect.)
So you're saying you assume everyone is perfectly safe until you see a gun? Sure someone open carrying a gun could go nuts, but at I know they have one. Anyone could be concealing a gun or knife, or a group of punks could get bored and decide to beat someone to death. Saying that the person open carrying is somehow more likely to go nuts and shoot everybody is just stupid. Someone planning on going on a shooting spree is going to hide the gun so they don't get stopped before they can even get started. I know several people who don't feel like going to the trouble of planning their wardrobe all the time, so if the clothes they put on that day happen to conceal their gun, great, if not, so what? It doesn't have anything to do with being macho or trying to get attention, they just don't bother with worrying about concealing all the time. And guess what? Nobody cares, most people around here have guns and don't consider it worth looking twice, and the ones who aren't gun people assume you're a cop. As long as it's legal, open carriers have the right to carry as they wish. What's the point of having the right to carry a firearm if you don't even exercise it for fear of someone being offended?

Edit: and no, I don't live in "Shickshinny, PA", I live in a pretty large town near the Maryland border. Even many of the Maryland cops who come over the border don't really care.

Last edited by FCastle88; 04-07-2012 at 12:18..
FCastle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 13:29   #20
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCastle88 View Post
So you're saying you assume everyone is perfectly safe until you see a gun? Sure someone open carrying a gun could go nuts, but at I know they have one.
Wow! You really covered, Ďa lot of groundí in your reply. Iíve taken the liberty of breaking your thoughts down into concise paragraphs in order to make a more cogent reply. (I hope thatís OK.) Now, for your first question: No, Iím the sort of individual who assumes very little, if anything, at all. Iím saying that THIS is the impression that most of the general public are going to - if not suspect - then certainly assume.

What is more, in the confrontation between what you think, and what the public assumes ÖÖ. well, itís the publicís predominant opinion thatís going to win every time. What you, as an open weapon carrier, want is of no particular merit to, Ďthat sea of unarmed and consequently vulnerable humanityí who is watching you. (Understand?)

Quote:
Anyone could be concealing a gun or knife, or a group of punks could get bored and decide to beat someone to death. Saying that the person open carrying is somehow more likely to go nuts and shoot everybody is just stupid.
No, you need to rephrase your analogy just a little bit. Itís not, ĎSaying that the person open carrying is somehow more likely to go nuts and shoot everybody is just stupid.í Instead, itís much more like, ĎIn my opinion, saying that the person open carrying is somehow more likely to go nuts and shoot everybody is just stupid.í Your myopic reasoning is a perfect example of WHAT Iíve been trying to point out: It doesnít matter what you (or I) think; instead, itís what the larger majority of the non-gun owning public thinks that, in any, Ďpush comes to shoveí contest, is going to predominate. So, ĎWhyí piss other people off? Do you really think that, sooner or later, theyíre not going to get even!

(I assure you, they will! If you want to, Ďeducateí anyone to anything itís important to remember not to set a negative example; and, IN MY OPINION, this is exactly what most open carry accomplishes - A negative demonstration of an, otherwise, fundamental and altruistic American freedom.)

Quote:
Someone planning on going on a shooting spree is going to hide the gun so they don't get stopped before they can even get started.
Now that, Sir, is a genuine assumption. Cho didnít! He even took the time to straightforwardly padlock the doors before he started shooting. Hennard didnít. He just drove through the front windows, got out of his truck, and started shooting. Mark Essex (Remember him?) ran around with a 44 Magnum carbine in his hands before finally making his last stand on a rooftop.

Charles Whitman and Jared Loughner did, however, conceal their weapons before they started shooting. So, how is anyone ever going to really know for certain? The correct answer is, ĎYou donít!' In todayís modern world, anyone with an exposed gun deserves careful watching. (Please donít get back to me with something inane like, ĎWhat about a rifle range?í Iím NOT talking about whatís expected; instead, Iím talking about what's genuinely aberrant and reasonably unexpected.)

Quote:
I know several people who don't feel like going to the trouble of planning their wardrobe all the time, so if the clothes they put on that day happen to conceal their gun, great, if not, so what? It doesn't have anything to do with being macho or trying to get attention, they just don't bother with worrying about concealing all the time.
That is, exactly, my point! However, I very much doubt the authenticity of the above remarks. Why? Because I, personally, donít know anybody whoís either this socially obtuse or just plain ignorant. Open carry is, most often, a very deliberate behavior; one that is generally carried out with a certain, 'malice' of forethought. An open weapon carrier isn't asking others to agree with him - He's DEMANDING it, instead.

Quote:
And guess what? Nobody cares, most people around here have guns and don't consider it worth looking twice, and the ones who aren't gun people assume you're a cop. As long as it's legal, open carriers have the right to carry as they wish. What's the point of having the right to carry a firearm if you don't even exercise it for fear of someone being offended?
Come on! Youíre not THAT dumb. Youíre only playing at it. You must realize that your viewpoint - no matter how much you might rationalize - is not the majority opinion. From where I'm standing, you really do need to reflect more on the consequences of your own selfish behaviors and the negative affect these behaviors have upon others. (Remember, none of us live in, either, a social or political vacuum.)

Quote:
Edit: and no, I don't live in "Shickshinny, PA", I live in a pretty large town near the Maryland border. Even many of the Maryland cops who come over the border don't really care.
You know, you really fooled me! I would have sworn youíre from northeastern Pennsylvania. The one-sided gun-minded mentality you express is, to my occasional chagrin, far too common around here. (I donít know? Maybe itís the water.) Please, though, donít try to fool me by presuming to speak for, Ďmany of the Maryland copsí. Iíve met a few Maryland cops; and, know what? They all seemed to care. Try speeding on I-95, youíll see.