Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:54   #1
Bob Hafler

It only a 22

It's only a little 22. How effective can it be? It can be effective enough to take a BG out of the fight.
Bob Hafler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 16:57   #2
bac1023

I wouldn't want to get hit by any 22, but there's no way the 22 short is an ideal SD round.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 02:50   #3
Bob Hafler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
I wouldn't want to get hit by any 22, but there's no way the 22 short is an ideal SD round.
Agree and I don't think they were going in that direction when they said it will kill the crap out of you.
Bob Hafler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:31   #4
Njanear
Nagant-ophile

At 1:47, he starts talking about the accuracy of the Minx at 15 yards but then converts everything to feet and comes up at 30.

GA Fellows: are these the guys from Moss Pawn?
GlockTalk Clubs- #10 Georgia Glocker; #3745 Bull Dawgs; #600: 10 Ring, .40S&W, Sub Club, Long Slide, Niners, Wheelhouse, MilSurp, Rimfire, 1911, Black Rifle
Njanear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:35   #5
edcrosbys

I love my 22. But I don't think of it as an "ideal self defense gun" as per the video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddletown
There are four ways in which shooting someone stops him:
1. psychological -- "I'm shot, it hurts, I don't want to get shot any more."
2. massive blood loss depriving the muscles and brain of oxygen and thus significantly impairing their ability to function
3. breaking major skeletal support structures
4. damaging the central nervous system.

So as a rule of thumb --
More holes are better than fewer holes.
Larger holes are better than smaller holes.
Holes in the right places are better than holes in the wrong places.
Holes that are deep enough are better than holes that aren't.
There are no magic bullets.

Why would anyone think that a .22 will be enough when sometimes a .357 Magnum isn't enough. LAPD Officer Stacy Lim was shot in the chest with a .357 Magnum and still ran down her attacker, returned fire, killed him, survived, and ultimately was able to return to duty.
edcrosbys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:51   #6
edcrosbys

Since I was skeptical about the US Army and pine board, I went looking for it. Here is what I found:

Ballistic Characteristics of Wounding Agents
http://history.amedd.army.mil/booksd...s/chapter2.htm

Quote:
For many years, ordnance engineers had been using the penetration of 1-inch pine boards separated by a small air space (1 inch) for judging the relative efficiency of bullets. Subsequent investigation revealed this test to be far from precise because of variations in pine boards, as well as many other factors beyond reasonable control.
edcrosbys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 15:04   #7
Veedubklown

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
I don't think they ever actually said "ideal", just effective. I don't want to stand in front of a BB gun. I'd be interested to see what 45ACP does at 450 yards, though. I bet it'd still be better than throwing a rock.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:47   #8
Adjuster

"It will kill the crap outta you"

Might be my new favorite tag line.

I kinda like these guys.

/
Adjuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:04   #9
Cream Soda Kid

In 1979 a friend of mine was shot with a .22 caliber handgun. The shooter appeared to be a gang-banger.

My friend was hit in the right armpit, the bullet pierced the top part of his right lung, then went through the valves of his heart, then through his left lung and stopped at one of his ribs on the left side.

After the shooting, (the bad guy got away) my friend walked into the house under his own power. He didnít know at the time if he had been hit or not. We looked at his chest and no wound was visible. We didn't know where the entry wound was at the time.

As we were checking him out, his eyes started to close and he went unconscious. The ambulance arrived.

He underwent surgery of course, his heart stopped 3 times while he was in surgery. His heart was permanently damaged and the surgeon implanted a pacemaker. He needed the device until he died a few years ago from an unrelated event.
Cream Soda Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:49   #10
Adjuster

When they are shooting the Mynx you can appear to hear the trigger press/click before the gun fires. Am I hearing this correctly? Or is this just some sort of camera/recording anomaly?

/
Adjuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:20   #11
glocked1

I love when people talk about 22lr like they are toys.
glocked1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 13:48   #12
Brian Lee
Drop those nuts

The .22LR is a caliber that will usually kill your best friend by accident almost every time. For SD, it will piss off the bad guy and only strengthen his resolve to kill you almost every time.

If you are a legal hunter, .22LR would let a large wounded animal get away almost every time. If you are a poacher, it will easily kill deer, sheep, pigs and elk with a head shot almost every time.

Squirrels & paper targets are about the only use where the results are not unpredictable - but I still love the .22LR for what it is.
Brian Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 14:04   #13
mac66
Plant the seed

"For SD, it will piss off the bad guy and only strengthen his resolve to kill you almost every time."

Sorry, you fail. Nobody wants to get shot, particularly more than once.

I investigated a bunch of shootings in my career. I don't care if the the bullet is a 22 or a 44, getting shot with anything will ruin your whole day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by mac66; 03-15-2012 at 14:11..
mac66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 14:21   #14
Cream Soda Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Lee View Post
The .22LR is a caliber that will usually kill your best friend by accident almost every time. For SD, it will piss off the bad guy and only strengthen his resolve to kill you almost every time.

If you are a legal hunter, .22LR would let a large wounded animal get away almost every time. If you are a poacher, it will easily kill deer, sheep, pigs and elk with a head shot almost every time.

Squirrels & paper targets are about the only use where the results are not unpredictable - but I still love the .22LR for what it is.
Yes I agree. I love my little Remington 597 .22 LR.

I take it to the range from time to time. Itís fun to shoot, it helps me maintain my marksmanship skills with a rifle. No, itís not the same as shooting my Ruger Mini-30, but itís still aiming through non-optical sights.

Itís cheap to shoot and it doesnít beat me up when I shoot it.
Cream Soda Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 13:02   #15
ratf51

I asked this question in a posting at Rimfirecentral that was along this same topic:

I recall reading an article a few years ago about a study done in England in the early days of WWII. A fellow looked at the .22lr as a possible defense round that could be easily used by civilians should the Nazis invade. They utilized dummies dressed in German military uniforms and kit, and iirc, the study showed that at 400 yards the .22lr was getting a minimum of 1" (I assume it was some type of wood/board) penetration after passing through the uniform. Maybe not lethal in that context, but sufficient to wound and slow down an advance. I have recently searched for this article (I can't remember the source I read it from) or the study itself but have come up short. Has anyone else read about or heard of this?
ratf51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 13:16   #16
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

SCHP Trooper was killed within 1 minute of being shot with a single .22lr fired from a mini revolver from NAA. Trooper fired 5 rounds of .38spl (from a .357 revolver) into the gut of the bad guy whom lived.

caliber does not make up for poor shot placement.

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...

Last edited by cowboywannabe; 03-18-2012 at 10:32..
cowboywannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:01   #17
slims00ls1z28

Likewise they showed us a video in training where some bg shot a trooper in the armpit over the vest during a struggle and the trooper then shot the bg point blank in the face with a .357. Trooper died (not right off)the perp did not.

There's also a kid at the local JV who killed his grandfather with a BB gun (through the eye believe it or not) and a convict I know with a .45 ACP bullet still in his head walking around.

I'm still grabbing the guage or glock (or any other gun in the safe for that matter) over the .22's though unless I'm just plinking.
Kalashinikov #364, Ruger Club #364, Tactical Shotgun Club #364, Rimfire club #364, Still waiting on 10MM #364

Last edited by slims00ls1z28; 03-18-2012 at 03:02..
slims00ls1z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 04:05   #18
Skykevver
Proud American

Njanear,

Yes, these are the guys from Moss Pawn.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

"Yes, life has its problems, and yes, there are negative things to face, but please accept one of (my)... maxims for livingóno misfortune is so bad that whining about it wonít make it worse." ~ Jeffrey R. Holland ~ :dancing:
Skykevver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 04:29   #19
Frog1

Like any caliber, it is very effective when used within it's design limits. It is not ideal for quick and intense encounters with human beings or large animals. It is better than a stick, knife, or rock or calling 911.

It takes some time for it's terminal damage to manifest itself. But let no one with any brains at all think it won't kill you. And it can buy time in a struggle if used properly to evade the situation.
Frog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:10   #20
Mongosafari
El diablo verde

I ran across this a while back:
http://www.ruger1022.com/docs/israeli_sniper.htm

In the right circumstance it could be used to take the "fight" out of someone...

Last edited by Mongosafari; 04-21-2012 at 09:11..
Mongosafari is offline   Reply With Quote