Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-25-2012, 22:20   #1
ghh3rd

Fear of AD while holstering my 27

I use quality holsters for my Glock 27, a Don Hume and a Crossbreed that I've had for years. I always carry in Conditin 1.

I still feel apprehensive when holstering my Glock, even though I watch the gun into the holster. I've never had the nerve to holster without watching the gun and holster, although I would prefer to do so.

It's not an issue with having a Glock - I know that any gun will go bang if it's cocked with one in the tube and the trigger is pulled. I have a Glock because I like the feeling I get from knowing that I've fired 1000's of rounds from it without a glitch.

I was hoping that this feeling would pass in time, but no luck, so far. Can anyone relate to this -- any tips?

Randy
ghh3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 22:23   #2
Snaps
Hail 2 The King

I'd say... well I don't really know, don't pull the trigger, the gun don't go bang.
Old 02-26-2012, 14:28   #3
JuneyBooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaps View Post
I'd say... well I don't really know, don't pull the trigger, the gun don't go bang.
That seems lie an accurate statement. Just use caution when putting the gun into the holster and all should be good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Cool songs:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Cool car:
JuneyBooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 22:27   #4
arushus
Biggest Member

Try using a NY1 trigger spring with a ghost 3.5 connector. It is what I put in my G27 for just that reason, to decrease the likelihood of a negligent discharge. The feel is really nice also, I didn't think I would like it, but wanted to give it a try anyway, and I'm glad I did, it's really nice!
Spike's Tactical Enhanced CHF 16" Mid-Length M4
These Red Letters Help me find my post!!!
arushus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 23:04   #5
Sgt127

In a hip holster or duty holster, it doesn't bother me. If somehow it goes bang from something getting caught up in the trigger, aat most I will have a crease in my ass.

Appendix carry is another matter. I personally can't make myself carry a Glock pointed at my femoral artery. I've tried. If I did, I would remove the holster, put the gun in it and then put the holster back on.

Its a personal thing. Lots of people carry them appendix and very very few seem to get shot. Mechanically, the gun is safe enough, I just can't.
Sgt127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 23:06   #6
tinman517

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghh3rd View Post
I was hoping that this feeling would pass in time, but no luck, so far. Can anyone relate to this -- any tips?

Randy
Yes, I can relate to you feelings. I trust that for me, that feeling always is with me. When it passes, I will be more prone to an accident. Be safe.
tinman517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 23:16   #7
NCHeel

Do what I did. Carry unloaded and do what you normally would do over and over and over and see if you can accidentally on purpose cause a discharge. I have slept with a Glock many times under my pillow and I have never woke up in the morning to find the trigger depressed. After all that you should feel confident that with conscious effort you worries will dissipate.

Glock and S&W M&P Certified Armorer
NRA certified RSO
NRA Instructor for pistol, rifle, shotgun & PPIH and PPOH

Last edited by NCHeel; 02-25-2012 at 23:18..
NCHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 23:26   #8
arzG27
Glock FTW

practice makes perfect. if you trust your holster enough to use it without worrying that you will have an AD while wearing it, you should be confident enough to pull it in and out of the holster without too much concern. that being said, safety is paramount and should always be your priority. like NCHeel said, practice holstering and unholstering unloaded and get that confidence up. i have a blackhawk serpa and just hearing that "click" gives me all the confidence i need to keep it movin
arzG27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 23:42   #9
kodiakpb

Sounds like your just being careful. Nothing wrong with that. It's like jumping out of a plane, is it wrong if you still get butterflies after hundreds of jumps? = No
kodiakpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 00:36   #10
cowboy1964

That's one nice advantage to a hammer fired gun; thumb over the hammer while reholstering.

One can practice all they want. But they're called "accidents" for a reason.
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 00:52   #11
AA#5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghh3rd View Post
I use quality holsters for my Glock 27, a Don Hume and a Crossbreed that I've had for years. I always carry in Conditin 1.

I still feel apprehensive when holstering my Glock, even though I watch the gun into the holster. I've never had the nerve to holster without watching the gun and holster, although I would prefer to do so.

It's not an issue with having a Glock - I know that any gun will go bang if it's cocked with one in the tube and the trigger is pulled. I have a Glock because I like the feeling I get from knowing that I've fired 1000's of rounds from it without a glitch.

Randy
It doesn't take "nerve" to holster a Glock without watching it; it takes carelessness. I don't understand why you would want to holster a Glock (or any gun) without watching to ensure no clothing, material or thumbsnap gets caught in the trigger guard.
AA#5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 18:19   #12
Rumbler_G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA#5 View Post
It doesn't take "nerve" to holster a Glock without watching it; it takes carelessness. I don't understand why you would want to holster a Glock (or any gun) without watching to ensure no clothing, material or thumbsnap gets caught in the trigger guard.

Oh that is easy.

You are busy watching something, or for something.

There is no rule that says threats travel alone. And if there was the thugs would probably ignore it.

You may need to reholster momentarily to have use of both hands to perform some task (like opening a door with a flashlight in one hand and a pistol in the other.

You could need to scale a fence or other obstacle.

There are lots and lots of reasons one could need to reholster while their eyes are busy.

In fact, learning to reholster while NOT looking is a standard skill introduced in most basic (firearm) self defense classes and all but a prerequisite to have practiced to the point of being instinctual beyond entry level classes.

'course, well, obviously if you carry a firearm for some other reason than defense . . . I can see how it could be an optional skill.

Last edited by Rumbler_G20; 02-29-2012 at 18:19..
Rumbler_G20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 02:15   #13
High Altitude

Personally, I think the whole don't look at your pistol while you reholster is over blown. When do you reholster? When the fight is OVER. IMHO, look while reholstering all you want.
High Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 13:59   #14
dosei

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
Personally, I think the whole don't look at your pistol while you reholster is over blown. When do you reholster? When the fight is OVER. IMHO, look while reholstering all you want.
Here is one of the reasons explained:
(Starting at the :27 mark and going to 1:10)
"Know where the attack against you is likely to come, whether on the street or in court, and have a proven counter already in place" (Mas Ayoob)
dosei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 19:19   #15
Merkavaboy
Code-7A KUZ769

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosei View Post
Here is one of the reasons explained:
(Starting at the :27 mark and going to 1:10)
Massad Ayoob (Aftermath Shooting) - YouTube
Dosei, Good job posting that video of Mas.

I'll add a bit by saying don't buy cheap holsters. Buy quality holsters with a metal band sewn around the mouth of the holster so it doesn't collapse when the gun is not holstered.

And for G-d's sake get rid of those "smart carry" holsters (which I call "idiot carry" holsters). Don't be carrying your gun in a holster that points to your "junk" and femoral arteries. Try reholstering with your "idiot carry" while still trembling on your adrenalin high...

Last edited by Merkavaboy; 03-01-2012 at 19:21..
Merkavaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 02:54   #16
MikeG36

I can relate. IMO it's good that you have this feeling. It might keep you alive. You should always be careful reholstering. Good luck!
MikeG36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:48   #17
TxGlock9

Nothing wrong with it. Keep doing what you're doing. Just stop worrying too much.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:56   #18
gunowner1

I can't relate.From day one I have always had faith in the safeties built into my Glocks.
gunowner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:56   #19
FL Airedale
Dog Breath

I have no problem reholstering without looking when I'm using a Kydex holster. I do put my finger over the outside of the trigger guard until I feel it going into the holster. I also reholster slowly.

I have a simple belt slide holster that I often wear when I'm at home. It isn't stiff like Kydex so I have to use both hands when reholstering and I do this while looking and using both hands.

If I'm going to be shot, I don't want it to be me that does it!
I used to be a people person but people ruined that for me.
FL Airedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:17   #20
DustyJacket
Gold Membership
Directiv 10-289

Concealment holsters are so close to your body, the clothes and accessories my get involved and cause troubles. Duty holster, not so much.

Except for revolvers, all my belt holsters are paddle or clip on. With them and my pocket holsters, I holster the gun and then put the holster on.

Another thing is to practice with an unloaded firearm when you get a new holster or carry style. What works with one type of holster may cause an issue with another.

My only Unintentional Discharge (in 45 years of shooting) was an IWB where a plastic part broke and all went to hell in a hurry. I used to put my trigger finger on the trigger guard. After that incident, I put my trigger finger on the frame above the trigger, on the slide, or around the front strap on the grip, when holstering.