Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-06-2012, 19:29   #1
pokersamurai

.308 semi-auto rifle. Help me choose.

I've recently been in the market for a semi auto 7.62/.308 rifle. After much research I have it narrowed down to 2 rifles. The FN FNAR 20" heavy barrel and the Springfield M1A Loaded. I've found both rifles locally for around $1400 which seems to be a pretty good deal. However, in the most recent CDNN's flyer they have the FNs for $1000. I know the M14/M1As are a truly battle tested rifle, and from what I understand the FNAR uses the BAR operating system which has also served our country well. At this point I would just like to hear some of your opinions, preferably by someone who owns one or both of the rifles. How are their accuracy and reliability? Have you had any problems? Are they worth the money?

Thanks you in advance.

General Firearms Forum
FN FNAR 20" Heavy Barrel

General Firearms Forum
Springfield M1A Loaded
Old 02-06-2012, 19:52   #2
sfguard
Spread Out!

Sent you a PM

Proud Veteran of JTF Bravo, Operations Noble Eagle, Enduring Freedom, and Iraqi freedom
sfguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 20:13   #3
M&P15T
Beard One

Not to sound like a girl about it, as aesthetics are never my main concern, but the FN is one butt ugly rifle. Looks like it fell from the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down. It's like a Chiappa Rhino with out the classy good looks. Like Rosanne Barr after a rough night of meth and hookers. Like Abe Bagoda in a leotard and spandex. Like Hillary Clinton after mauling an all-you-can-eat dookie buffet.

Last edited by M&P15T; 02-06-2012 at 20:20..
M&P15T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:24   #4
eracer
Where's my EBT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&P15T View Post
Not to sound like a girl about it, as aesthetics are never my main concern, but the FN is one butt ugly rifle. Looks like it fell from the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down. It's like a Chiappa Rhino with out the classy good looks. Like Rosanne Barr after a rough night of meth and hookers. Like Abe Bagoda in a leotard and spandex. Like Hillary Clinton after mauling an all-you-can-eat dookie buffet.
Thank God you didn't say Abe Vigoda, cuz' that would have made me stab my eyes with knitting needles...

OP, I say go for the FN. It's easier to outfit with a good optic, and AFAIK they still know how to made a gun work right.
Matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration; we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death. Life is a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. And now...the weather! ---- Bill Hicks

Last edited by eracer; 02-07-2012 at 07:26..
eracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 20:41   #5
Dawolf

I have shot the FN. Very nice. Used the M1 back in the day. Would get the M1 personally, due to familiarity.
Dawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 20:45   #6
jwhite75
Gubmint Worker

The M1 is proven and will not do you wrong I would go with a 16" version, for weight.

But given that I would have not overlook that FNAR I am sure it is a shooter.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:07   #7
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

The FNAR uses the SPORTING BAR, not the Browning Automatic Rifle (machinegun) lineage.

Of the two......i'd pick neither, I'd get a SCAR 17 or an OBR and accept the price difference because they're accurate and they work.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 04:36   #8
Jack19

http://www.dsarms.com/images/SA58STD.gif

"Better to have more bullets on you than more bullets in you." - Me.
Jack19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 16:42   #9
WayaX
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMurphy View Post
The FNAR uses the SPORTING BAR, not the Browning Automatic Rifle (machinegun) lineage.

Of the two......i'd pick neither, I'd get a SCAR 17 or an OBR and accept the price difference because they're accurate and they work.
SCAR 17S has my vote. Mine quickly became my favorite rifle. Light, accurate, reliable, and ergonomical - no other gun offers all of these in the same package. It is almost like having a 7.62 in a 5.56 form factor.
"Throughout history, it has been the inaction of those who could have acted; the indifference of those who should have known better; the silence of the voice of justice when it mattered most; that has made it possible for evil to triumph."

-Haile Selassie I
WayaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:19   #10
Andrewsky

You never truly narrow it down. You will always question your 7.62 battle rifle choice.
Andrewsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:53   #11
rhino673

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewsky View Post
You never truly narrow it down. You will always question your 7.62 battle rifle choice.
Ain't that the truth!
I have bounced between deciding on a M1A, M1 Garand, FN FAL, HK, AR platform to just about everything else out there.

BTW, I'm back to the m1a. Now I can't decide which model of the M1A!!
rhino673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:59   #12
triggerjerk

SCAR 17S or XCRM perhaps?

General Firearms Forum
General Firearms Forum

Both cost more than your initial choices by a wide margin however.

I'm hoping to grab an XCRM soon.
triggerjerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:06   #13
byf43
NRA Life Member

M1A Scout/Squad!!!!!!

You know you want it. Get it!

"Live Free. Practice democracy. Make a difference. Love your family and your country." H.N.K. (My Dad) 09/02/1924 - 05/11/2012
byf43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:31   #14
D3S3RT_P3NGU1N

Quote:
Originally Posted by byf43 View Post
M1A Scout/Squad!!!!!!

You know you want it. Get it!

+1 on this, great rifles and a little handier than the standard M1A
"To be governed is to be watched, inspected, directed, indoctrinated, numbered, estimated, regulated, commanded, controlled, law-driven, preached at, spied upon, censored, checked, valued, enrolled, by creatures who have neither the right, nor the wisdom nor the virtue to do so."
D3S3RT_P3NGU1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 17:20   #15
pokersamurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggerjerk View Post
SCAR 17S or XCRM perhaps?

General Firearms Forum
You guys are torturing me with your SCAR 17 talk. I originally wanted to purchase the SCAR, however, none of my local shops have them and the ones I've found online go for $3000+ delivered. Also from what my dealer told me the .308 SCAR magazines are harder to find than the Holy Grail. But you just cant argue with the SCAR's performance and style.
Old 02-07-2012, 19:32   #16
WayaX
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokersamurai View Post
You guys are torturing me with your SCAR 17 talk. I originally wanted to purchase the SCAR, however, none of my local shops have them and the ones I've found online go for $3000+ delivered. Also from what my dealer told me the .308 SCAR magazines are harder to find than the Holy Grail. But you just cant argue with the SCAR's performance and style.
My 17S was 2734 total (for everything). I bought it 3 weeks ago. I since easily obtained 5 spare magazines, while they cost more than retail, I didn't pay an excessive amount for them. They are out there if you look hard enough.
"Throughout history, it has been the inaction of those who could have acted; the indifference of those who should have known better; the silence of the voice of justice when it mattered most; that has made it possible for evil to triumph."

-Haile Selassie I
WayaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:24   #17
svtpwnz

Honestly, I say neither. I just pre ordered a Colt SP901 308. Not sure of ETA because it has been pushed back for some time but it looks like March/April as of now. Price is expected to be sub $2000 level which is a deal to me considering what you get.

General Firearms Forum
svtpwnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:24   #18
M&P15T
Beard One

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtpwnz View Post
Honestly, I say neither. I just pre ordered a Colt SP901 308. Not sure of ETA because it has been pushed back for some time but it looks like March/April as of now. Price is expected to be sub $2000 level which is a deal to me considering what you get.

General Firearms Forum
Just so you're not shocked when you get it, you're getting on LE901, not an SP901.

Last edited by M&P15T; 02-07-2012 at 11:24..
M&P15T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:27   #19
owtlaw

I have personally shot the XCRM. That will be my next rifle. Way ahead of everyone else IMHO.
owtlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:58   #20
svtpwnz

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&P15T View Post
Just so you're not shocked when you get it, you're getting on LE901, not an SP901.
To my best knowledge, it will be an SP901. I am not a LEO and no longer in the military.
svtpwnz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
.308, fnar, fnh, m1a, springfield