Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2012, 18:23   #1
Usmcfox
Member
 
Usmcfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 41
Purse gun that packs a punch

Ok so my girlfriend works night shift as a nurse, and often times has to stop and drop off blood work, tests etc. she expressed to me she would like a pistol to cc. Me being the firearm enthusiast / firm believer in cc took her shopping and me being a glockophile showed her the g26 first she said it was too big. Then the ruler lcp I believe in .380 and she said it was small and asked to see what the ammo looked like. So I showed her and she said " wow that looks like a baby compared to your 10mm. She shoots my g20 just fine so not a huge concern about recoil. But my question does anyone know of a decent semi-auto or hammer less revolver smaller than a g26 that still packs a punch?
Usmcfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 18:34   #2
WoodenPlank
Who?
 
WoodenPlank's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NW Florida
Posts: 7,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usmcfox View Post
Ok so my girlfriend works night shift as a nurse, and often times has to stop and drop off blood work, tests etc. she expressed to me she would like a pistol to cc. Me being the firearm enthusiast / firm believer in cc took her shopping and me being a glockophile showed her the g26 first she said it was too big. Then the ruler lcp I believe in .380 and she said it was small and asked to see what the ammo looked like. So I showed her and she said " wow that looks like a baby compared to your 10mm. She shoots my g20 just fine so not a huge concern about recoil. But my question does anyone know of a decent semi-auto or hammer less revolver smaller than a g26 that still packs a punch?
Many medical institutions are prohibited zones for concealed carry, so that's the first thing you might want to keep in mind.

I'd look at a 642 or 442 S&W J-frame, with a respectable quality pocket holster (especially if she's handy enough to sew it in place inside the purse), and loaded with quality JHP. I'm partial to the old FBI load (158gr LSWCHP in +P), but the Short Barrel Gold Dot load from Speer is supposed to be quite nice, as well
WoodenPlank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 18:35   #3
Bucky89
Senior Member
 
Bucky89's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,348
Something like the Ruger lc9 would be the natural choice.

When she said the G26 was too big, I assumed she meant the grip/width was too large.

Last edited by Bucky89; 01-13-2012 at 18:37..
Bucky89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 18:40   #4
mdsn969
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 656
this looks like a fun (expensive) little gun

http://heizerfirearms.com/
mdsn969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 08:47   #5
knoxrocks222
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsn969 View Post
this looks like a fun (expensive) little gun

http://heizerfirearms.com/

AHHH THE TACTICAL BULL MOOSE HAS RETURNED!!!!!

Last edited by knoxrocks222; 01-14-2012 at 08:47..
knoxrocks222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 18:07   #6
gator378
Gator378
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: St. Peters, Mo, USA
Posts: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky89 View Post
Something like the Ruger lc9 would be the natural choice.

When she said the G26 was too big, I assumed she meant the grip/width was too large.


Take a look at the new Sig Sauer 380. Much better than Ruger LC9. My neighbor just got the Sig Sauer 380 and is dumping the Ruger 380. The Ruger IMO is no
__________________
gator378
gator378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 20:05   #7
manonmars
Spaced Out
 
manonmars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: The Great Cosmos
Posts: 1,841
COMMENT...

Last summer, on a hot morning, I was walking on a BLM road with my Big Dog (NO, not my g-30)

I was carrying my Kel-Tec P-11, which I rarely carry, because it is not fun to practice with..but it was hot................ already.

My dog flushed a fawn, chased it, got it by the neck, and was convinced that this was breakfast.

This was about 30 yards ahead of me, so I knew I was too far away to Physically do anything in time......

I am not into killing fawns.

So I grabbed my P-11 and fired off a round into the dirt about 20' in front of me, hoping to shock my dog into releasing the fawn.

He did, but not because of shock, but because I was yelling at the top of my lungs!!!!

Afterwords, in thinking about it, I did NOT even feel the recoil from the P-11,................... which I do very much when I am plinking with it.

SO............conclusion.............get a reliable gun you feel comfy with, and practice until you get good with it.

If you ever actually need to use the gun to defend anything, any recoil/uncomfortableness/etc. is meaningless...you won't feel it in real life...

...But get something with capacity. 22's have killed a lot of people. (NOT endorsing a 22 for Pers. Prot).

You never know how many ZOMBIES might be attacking at one time................
__________________
Ain't got good English Skills? Do what I done. Take some classes at "English as a 3rd Language College", Tijuana, Mexico
manonmars
manonmars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 18:42   #8
Caladan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usmcfox View Post
But my question does anyone know of a decent semi-auto or hammer less revolver smaller than a g26 that still packs a punch?

A hammerless revolver such as an S&W 442 will be lighter in weight than a G26, but it will not be smaller. The footprint is shaped differently, but length/width/height will be about the same. And too, the only ones that will pack a substantially bigger punch than a good +p 9mm HP load would be the small .357's, which are rather punishing to shoot.

You might consider the small 9mm and .40 semi-autos, which are substantially smaller than a G26. Good modern hollow-point loads in these two calibers pack plenty of punch for self-defense. The Beretta Nano has just become my favorite of this group, but other very good choices are the Kahr CM9 or the slightly larger CW9, and the Sig P290.

Last edited by Caladan; 01-13-2012 at 18:43..
Caladan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 18:55   #9
manonmars
Spaced Out
 
manonmars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: The Great Cosmos
Posts: 1,841
Can't conceal a 26?

Does she have a really small purse?
__________________
Ain't got good English Skills? Do what I done. Take some classes at "English as a 3rd Language College", Tijuana, Mexico
manonmars
manonmars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:39   #10
ithaca_deerslayer
Senior Member
 
ithaca_deerslayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Upstate NY, USA
Posts: 19,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladan View Post
A hammerless revolver such as an S&W 442 will be lighter in weight than a G26, but it will not be smaller. The footprint is shaped differently, but length/width/height will be about the same. And too, the only ones that will pack a substantially bigger punch than a good +p 9mm HP load would be the small .357's, which are rather punishing to shoot.

You might consider the small 9mm and .40 semi-autos, which are substantially smaller than a G26. Good modern hollow-point loads in these two calibers pack plenty of punch for self-defense. The Beretta Nano has just become my favorite of this group, but other very good choices are the Kahr CM9 or the slightly larger CW9, and the Sig P290.
The 642 is a lot smaller than the G26. But not as small as a LCP, of course. For similarity in size, the 642 should be compared to the Kahr PM9.
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 14:35   #11
Caladan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by ithaca_deerslayer View Post
The 642 is a lot smaller than the G26. But not as small as a LCP, of course. For similarity in size, the 642 should be compared to the Kahr PM9.
If you actually owned both a 642 and a G26, you would see that the difference in length is less than one-quarter of one inch. And I seem to remember than the 642 is actually taller than the G26. Most people would not consider less than 1/4" to be "a lot" smaller.

And in fact, the 642 is much, much closer in size to a G26 than it is to a PM9 (which I also own as well). Why is this? Because the J and the G26 are both wider than 1", while the PM is less than 1". Both the J and the G are longer than the PM by close to an inch, and they are both taller than the PM too.

Sounds like you need a tape measure....
Caladan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 16:14   #12
ithaca_deerslayer
Senior Member
 
ithaca_deerslayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Upstate NY, USA
Posts: 19,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladan View Post
If you actually owned both a 642 and a G26, you would see that the difference in length is less than one-quarter of one inch. And I seem to remember than the 642 is actually taller than the G26. Most people would not consider less than 1/4" to be "a lot" smaller.

And in fact, the 642 is much, much closer in size to a G26 than it is to a PM9 (which I also own as well). Why is this? Because the J and the G26 are both wider than 1", while the PM is less than 1". Both the J and the G are longer than the PM by close to an inch, and they are both taller than the PM too.

Sounds like you need a tape measure....
I own all 3, have carried all 3, and also own a ruler and a scale. The 642 is a lot smaller than the G26. There's much of the 642 that is more than 1/4" thinner than the 26.

The 642 and PM9 are similar in size and weight, but of different shape. My own opinion is that the 642 conceals better than the PM9 in IWB, but I am carrying the PM9 as I type this.

Last edited by ithaca_deerslayer; 01-14-2012 at 16:25..
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 18:55   #13
Ahmid
CLM Number 299
Charter Lifetime Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: S.E.Florida
Posts: 2,420
Hands down short barrel light weight 38 special. Either Ruger or S&W.
__________________
NRA Benefactor
Ahmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 18:56   #14
IndianaMatt
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 3,542
Every girl I've shown my PPK/S to loves it.

General Firearms Forum

Chicks seem to dig them. Good stopping power and small enough to purse.
IndianaMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 20:55   #15
hogship
It's MY Island
 
hogship's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Northwest territory, pardner!
Posts: 12,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaMatt View Post
Every girl I've shown my PPK/S to loves it.

General Firearms Forum

Chicks seem to dig them. Good stopping power and small enough to purse.
You know, I've never really thought of the PPK/S as a "gender specific" firearm, but now that you mention it.......Yeah, women do seem to gravitate to it for whatever reason...........(It unquestionably has very refined style and is small enough to be thought of as "non-intimidating"......women seem to pick up on these things.)
General Firearms Forum
I've heard some people complain of the recoil because of the fixed barrel, but to my way of thinking, it's not bad at all. It's all steel, and the 380 does not have that much recoil in the Walther frame. I suspect with some who comment in the negative, it's more anticipation than real sensitivity......


ooc
__________________
NRA/VFW life, Harley Davidson FXDX, very patriotic!
Old iron pumper w/pony tail, Christian, lathe artist
Stevie Ray Vaughn, Janis Joplin, Johnny Cash
Visit my Vietnam photo album, 1968-69 click on link

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
hogship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:51   #16
ithaca_deerslayer
Senior Member
 
ithaca_deerslayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Upstate NY, USA
Posts: 19,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogship View Post
You know, I've never really thought of the PPK/S as a "gender specific" firearm, but now that you mention it.......Yeah, women do seem to gravitate to it for whatever reason...........(It unquestionably has very refined style and is small enough to be thought of as "non-intimidating"......women seem to pick up on these things.)
General Firearms Forum
I've heard some people complain of the recoil because of the fixed barrel, but to my way of thinking, it's not bad at all. It's all steel, and the 380 does not have that much recoil in the Walther frame. I suspect with some who comment in the negative, it's more anticipation than real sensitivity......


ooc
The PPK does have snappy recoil, and the potential for slide bite, and is heavy for it's size. It also is traditional double action, which some prefer and some do not, so the user has to consider if they want that.

Because the PPK/S has the longer grip, that version might reduce the recoil a little.

Personally, I prefer the lighter polymer LCP that is double action only, no safety, a little smaller than the PPK, and has about the same or less recoil.
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 12:57   #17
hogship
It's MY Island
 
hogship's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Northwest territory, pardner!
Posts: 12,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by ithaca_deerslayer View Post

Personally, I prefer the lighter polymer LCP that is double action only, no safety, a little smaller than the PPK, and has about the same or less recoil.
That's what I carry almost every day....LCP.

The LCP definitely has more of a "shock wave" in the recoil than the PPK/S.....and I have carried both, so I'm not just repeating what I've heard.

The recoil on the PPK/S is much easier to handle than the LCP.

The size and weight of the PPK/S is why it's just not that good an option, compared to the current market offerings.......but, if anyone chose the PPK/S for ccw use, it's still a good choice.....and, a personal choice.

ooc
__________________
NRA/VFW life, Harley Davidson FXDX, very patriotic!
Old iron pumper w/pony tail, Christian, lathe artist
Stevie Ray Vaughn, Janis Joplin, Johnny Cash
Visit my Vietnam photo album, 1968-69 click on link

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
hogship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 07:30   #18
writwing
Senior Member
 
writwing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaMatt View Post
Every girl I've shown my PPK/S to loves it.

General Firearms Forum

Chicks seem to dig them. Good stopping power and small enough to purse.
Terrible trigger and a lot of recoil for the caliber.

Go LCR. Light weight, great trigger, reliable. They even have'm with pink grips.
__________________
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life. T. Roosevelt

Last edited by writwing; 01-14-2012 at 07:32..
writwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 19:24   #19
Gunshine
Senior Member
 
Gunshine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,923
Kahr PM45
__________________
Florida Glocker 154

Quote: Ancient_Serpent. Being kind, polite or having class isn't PC.
Gunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 19:50   #20
ChicagoZman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 963
J-Frame Airweight (442/642). Loaded with Speer GDHP 135gr +P. Purse or pocket carry in a Galco Pro 158. It's not smaller than a 26, but feels smaller (don't know how that's possible, but it is) and is absolutely reliable.
__________________
Glock and M&P Armorer
NRA Pistol Instructor
Illinois Concealed Carry Instructor
Glocks: 17, 17L, 22, 22C, 23, 24C, 27, 34
ChicagoZman is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply


Tags
10mm, concealed carry, glock, ruger, taurus
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:59.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 925
174 Members
751 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31