Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:54   #1
Tangle

A portied barrel for a G21 project????

I'm on the edge of dropping the bucks on a Glock project gun.

I have a G21SF with the pic rails and ambi safety. I dearly love that setup!

The project would be to buy a LWD tactical length slide, of course a tactical length barrel, all the parts for the extractor, a firing pin safety and spring and a striker channel liner, and a recoil spring.

The only thing I'll have to change from the stock slide over to the LWD tactical slide is the striker assembly and slide cover.

I want to mount a Insight MRDS on the slide. I may machine the slide slightly for the MRDS, but I can't much because the light sensor is located at the bottom front of the sight - it's about the only RDS that has ambient light sensor looking at the threat area instead of vertically above the gun. An Insight WL1 Series Tactical Light/Laser will go on the rails.

Any problems so far?

I already have a Taylor Freelance +4 mag extension, so that will give 17+1 .45 ACP rounds in the gun.

Here's my real question: I'm thinking about getting the LWD ported barrel:

http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.a...6&TERM=lwd-21t

My question is, does all that hot gas blowing upwards on the slide as it passes over them, degrade the slide?

Many thanks for your time and thoughts,
Tangle
Tangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 15:33   #2
JR
GT Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to JR Send a message via Yahoo to JR
Sounds like an awesome set up. I have built a few similar to this but not used the Insight RD system yet.
A ported barrel will not affect the standard LWD-Tactical slide, nor will it have any affect on the RDS
Old 10-04-2011, 17:13   #3
Tangle

Thanks! I think it's gonna be an awesome setup too!

As I recall it is the front sight that can be damaged from the ports, right????
Old 10-04-2011, 17:30   #4
JR
GT Sponsor

You do not need a front sight or rear sight! If you had a front sight it would get blacked from carbon however that is not an issue. You are running a RD sight. It is located at the rear of the slide. It will never be bothered by the ports.
Old 10-04-2011, 17:42   #5
Tangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR View Post
You do not need a front sight or rear sight! If you had a front sight it would get blacked from carbon however that is not an issue. You are running a RD sight. It is located at the rear of the slide. It will never be bothered by the ports.
Yes, I know, but most seem to be of the opinion that the front sight is a necessary backup for the RDS.

I'm not too worried about that myself. In fact, I may not put sights on it at all. I guess I'll have to machine some sort of insert for the sight cuts.

But, I thought I saw on the LWD web page that the ports would eventually ruin a night sight???

Last edited by Tangle; 10-04-2011 at 17:45..
Old 10-04-2011, 19:37   #6
JR
GT Sponsor

The current "Gun Gurus" seem to be preaching the use of standard sights along with a RD sight. Really, this is a clear case of overkill. The current issue RD sights boast battery life of 100's if not 1000's of hours. They are tough as nails and 100% reliable.

If you think about it, about 25 years ago it was common practice for rifle hunters to carry both iron sights and a scope. You cant hardly find a bolt action sporting rifle with iron sights any more.

If you want a RD sight, dump the std sights and move along.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:35   #7
Tangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR View Post
The current "Gun Gurus" seem to be preaching the use of standard sights along with a RD sight. Really, this is a clear case of overkill. The current issue RD sights boast battery life of 100's if not 1000's of hours. They are tough as nails and 100% reliable.

If you think about it, about 25 years ago it was common practice for rifle hunters to carry both iron sights and a scope. You cant hardly find a bolt action sporting rifle with iron sights any more.

If you want a RD sight, dump the std sights and move along.
"Gun Gurus" - I know exactly what you mean.

And yes, I too believe the Insight MRDS is tough enough and reliable enough to use without sights. In fact, it seems to me that iron sights would just take up space in the viewing area and be a distraction too.

What would be nice, is to get a slide without sight cuts - hint, hint!
Old 10-09-2011, 20:47   #8
JR
GT Sponsor

The custom way to do it is to cut the slide to allow a lower set of the dot sight. This lower cut will eliminate the original sight cut