GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:19   #1
JDSilva87

New to CCW and need advice for first gun purchase!

Hello,

I have been saving up for months now to purchase my first gun. I will be using it primarily for CCW/Range toy. I live in the New Orleans area so it is not blistering hot here for only 4 months out of the year. I typically wear flip flops, shorts and tighter fitting shirts. I really don't wanna change the way I dress but if it's necessary then I may have to. I just can't see being able to wear really baggy clothing and looking the way my wife likes me to dress. lol

I went to the range last weekend and picked up a G26 and a G19. I started with the G26 because I thought that I would really enjoy it from the thousands of posts I've read online. For some reason it just didn't feel like it had a good balance to it. I can't really explain it but I just didn't like the way it felt in my hand and it did have a pinky extension on it too.

I switched to a G19 and as soon as I loaded up a magazine and held it in my hand I fell in love. It felt great in my hand. I unloaded the magazine with no hesitation and had a pretty good grouping considering this is only the second time I've shot a pistol. I really do want the compact size of the 19/23 because I shoot so much more comfortably with it. I will be practicing as much as I can afford but this gun will be primarily for CCW

All that being said I'm afraid I wont be able to conceal the G19. I have been looking at a Crossbreed Supertuck but, I don't think my dress will let me wear a IWB holster. I have been also considering a smartcarry holster. It seems that the G19 would be way to big for that. What do you recommend in my situation?
JDSilva87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:30   #2
dosei

What else have you shot, held, etc. Have you tried any of the Kahr handguns, like the P9, CW9, PM9, CM9? How about the Walther PPS, or the Ruger LC9?

But the bottom line...a G19 is really not all that difficult to conceal carry. It is just a matter of finding the right method of carry for you.
"Know where the attack against you is likely to come, whether on the street or in court, and have a proven counter already in place" (Mas Ayoob)
dosei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:36   #3
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

I was gonna suggest the 19 before even reading your post.

A 19 is tough to carry w/ tight tight clothes... but almost any gun is. Dress around your firearm, don't expect your firearm to conform to how you dress. That just isn't going to happen unless you start getting into small mouse guns, which are almost useless IMO.

What you need, in this order:
1. QUALITY GUN BELT (do not overlook this.. Wal Mart, Dickies, etc.. will not cut it)
2. QUALITY Holster
3. Then try the holster/gun on, and make adjustments to your wardrobe as needed.
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 18:03   #4
vafish

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post
I was gonna suggest the 19 before even reading your post.

A 19 is tough to carry w/ tight tight clothes... but almost any gun is. Dress around your firearm, don't expect your firearm to conform to how you dress. That just isn't going to happen unless you start getting into small mouse guns, which are almost useless IMO.

What you need, in this order:
1. QUALITY GUN BELT (do not overlook this.. Wal Mart, Dickies, etc.. will not cut it)
2. QUALITY Holster
3. Then try the holster/gun on, and make adjustments to your wardrobe as needed.
This, Switch to looser fitting shirts and you will be fine.
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 18:16   #5
carloglock19

I can conceal my G19/23 well in my MTAC with most shirts I wear. Sometimes I think we are a little too self concious about it, unless all your shirts are skin tight then you should be good to go!
BRC - 2016
carloglock19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:58   #6
HerrGlock
CLM Number 2
Scouts Out

Go to the gun store without ANY preconceived notions.
Pick up every gun in the store. Sight them all at the corner of the ceiling and a couple walls (so you're not point it at someone)
You'll come out with a few that you actually like the feeling of and point naturally for you.

Now go rent each of those. You'll come down to two/three that you still like, that don't have recoil that eats your thumb up and that doesn't feel like it's going to dislocate your thumb and that you're decently accurate with that did not jam or have a malfunction while you were shooting it.

NOW, and only now, start looking at caliber. Look at stopping power in passing but weight those you like to shoot higher regardless of where they are on the stopping power chart. Consider you're going to hang this off a belt for up to 8 hours or so a day. That'll eliminate a whole lot of the possibles right there.

At this point you'll only have one or two that are still in the running. Figure out which one you can easily dress around and you'll have your choice. Better to have a .22 that you're accurate with, that is 100% reliable and THAT YOU ACTUALLY CARRY than the .454 Casull sitting in the car because it's a pain in the butt.
HerrGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:00   #7
HerrGlock
CLM Number 2
Scouts Out

Oh, all that said, a G19 with a decent belt and good holster is one of the easiest setups to be able to conceal that's out there.
HerrGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:05   #8
aaronmj

Oh, and buy this holster!!! It's amazing.

http://www.rossroadbags.com/product.php?sku=1329
Old 04-26-2011, 08:30   #9
BailRecoveryAgent
Rude Member

You'll have to decide if you want to start carrying a gun and change the way you dress a bit, or continue wearing tight clothing that your wife picks out for you. Its unlikely you'll be able to do both unless carrying a mouse gun.

A G19 with a gun belt, and a good holster is easily concealed even in summer months.

But don't just buy the G19 because you liked it after one range rental, rent a bunch of different brands, sizes, and calibers until you have it down to just "the one". If its a G19, great, if not, as long as it fits you and is reliable, that is the most important thing.
BailRecoveryAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:38   #10
Steve in Az
Glock 26

Be mindful of size. It's gonna feel twice as big as it looks.
Steve in Az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:33   #11
B.Reid

I have had both and the 19 is no harder to conceal than the 26 and the 19 is so much more shootable.

Earth has always been a dangerous place to live. Be prepared!
B.Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:36   #12
PlayboyPenguin

Are you dead set on a semi-auto? If not look into a small j-frame revolver. They are super easy to conceal and you can get grips to fit your hand. They are also very reliable and a stainless one will hold up great to the humidity and sweat.

If you are set on a semi-auto take a look at a Rohrbaugh or a SIG P238. The new SIG P290 might be something to look at too. Are you set on a certain caliber?
Old 04-26-2011, 10:46   #13
ashecht

+1 for the gun belt requirement. It will make a world of difference. You will want a holster that has adjustable cant, so you can experiment how best to position the handle to conform to your body. I alternately carry the G19, G23, and G26. The G23 even has a larger 15 round mag and it carrys comfortably...but it took lots of trial and error, adjusting both sides of the holster to see what felt best. It will feel awkward at first no matter what, lets face it, there is going to be a hunk of metal and plastic hanging from your pants that wasnt there before. Before long and with the right holster and belt, you will feel MORE awkward without it, than with it. Lots of good IWB holsters out there, I use a shieldedholster from a GT'er here, Kwart. Great product, great price, great service. I prefer the kydex as I wont have to worry about worn leather causing an AD/ND. Good LUck!
Ruger SR1911 Commander
Colt LE6920
ashecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:47   #14
David Armstrong

Quote:
What do you recommend in my situation?
Pocket carry or IWB with a J-frame Airweight seems to work well for many, as do some of the smaller autos.
David Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:03   #15
HotRoderX
Gen4 BETATester

I was in the same boat so this month so I know where your coming from. I needed a CCW but live in Florida and I am a tad on the chunky side. Went into the store and held a number of guns in the 400-600 dollar price range.

I found for me the best gun was a Smith and Wesson 637 J-Frame air weight. I like the fact its small and easy to carry in my pocket. The 637 is a Chief Special so its based off a proven design that has been around for decades. Also the 38special is a nice compromise between getting something bigger in 9mm and getting a 380auto which is the smallest cartridge i would con cider for CCW.

As far as shooting go's test some guns out the smaller the gun the more felt recoil. I am not gonna kid around +P in my 637 are pretty stout there not as bad as my 686 firing 357mag. A snub nose revolver will also take some practice to get good with but once you do then you will more then likely shoot anything exceptionally.

Something else to look at is reliability with ammo. nice thing about a revolver is they can reliable shoot any ammo of the caliber there chambered in. I know with semi autos people are all the time talking about this semi auto don't like x ammo or z ammo. Glocks tend to chew anything you put in them but other manufactures can be picky.

I hope this helps ya and I am gonna include some links explaining a little more about J-Frames.

http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/review/M637.htm

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/M...ame%20Work.htm

One more quick thing people are gonna say J-Frame snub isn't a range gun I don't agree with that at all. I love my J-frame at the range shooting 130gr FMJ its very light load that's a lot of fun for practice. I personally enjoy shooting my J-Frame and 686 more then I do my Glock but that's just me.
HotRoderX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:37   #16
Aeroscoper

I think a G19 is a perfect 1st CCW, it was for me. You might want to try a G26 with a pierce grip extention, I have a +0 and it make a real difference in how the gun feels and handles. It can be argued that extention makes takes away the advantage it has over the 19, but not for me.

Good luck!
“I care not what puppet is placed on the throne of England to rule the Empire, … The man that controls Britain’s money supply controls the British Empire. And I control the money supply.” – Nathan Meyer Rothschild

Last edited by Aeroscoper; 04-26-2011 at 12:38..
Aeroscoper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 13:01   #17
HotRoderX
Gen4 BETATester

One more thing for the OP that I think a lot of first time CCW people over look with the Glock or any gun for that matter. Do you feel comfortable having a Glock Cocked and on your hip with out a external safety. I know Glocks will not fire without the trigger being pulled but I still don't feel safe having one in the chamber regardless. Its something you gotta feel comfortable with other wise your gonna leave the gun at home and that makes it worthless if you ever need it.

Last edited by HotRoderX; 04-26-2011 at 13:20..
HotRoderX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 13:52   #18
barstoolguru
texas proud

Send a message via ICQ to barstoolguru Send a message via Yahoo to barstoolguru
I carry a ruger lcp and I love it..... it goes every where with me no matter what I am wearing with a iwb holster I made. shorts and a t-shirt no probs.... a lot of these people on here will tell you it's to small but I am carring when they don't because of the size of there gun
barstoolguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 14:11   #19
bpitas

Glock CCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRoderX View Post
One more thing for the OP that I think a lot of first time CCW people over look with the Glock or any gun for that matter. Do you feel comfortable having a Glock Cocked and on your hip with out a external safety. I know Glocks will not fire without the trigger being pulled but I still don't feel safe having one in the chamber regardless. Its something you gotta feel comfortable with other wise your gonna leave the gun at home and that makes it worthless if you ever need it.
Good advice is to just rack it and then wear it for a couple of days *empty*, and at the end of the couple of days, pull the trigger and see if it fires. If you hear a click, then that means it wouldn't have shot you in the ass over the last two days. :-) I was worried about a charged Glock on my hip at first, but after doing this exercise, I realized that the real safety on the glock is the holster.
bpitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 14:11   #20
BailRecoveryAgent
Rude Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRoderX View Post
So do you carry your revolver with the next cylinder empty? Or are they all loaded? Don't pull the trigger and the gun won't go off applies to more than just striker fired guns.
BailRecoveryAgent is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conceal, g19 and g23, g26, g27, smartcarry