SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 09:47   #1
danbaum

Carry chambered?

I have been a revolver guy my whole life, and just switched to a Glock 19 after getting two days of excellent training and realizing I could shoot the Glock better (to say nothing of more copiously) than my old Detective Special. I have a CCW and am carrying the Glock in a Galco Stow-n-Go IWB holster. Here's my situation: Carrying the pistol with a round in the chamber freaks me out. I worry that my flesh pushing against the soft holster will somehow depress that little trigger safety and nudge the trigger back. I find myself walking around with my hips thrust foward, flinching away from the gun. Actually, I only did that for about ten minutes before retreating to a men's room, unchambering the round, and putting the gun back in its holster with a full mag but empty chamber. I could carry Israeli style, I suppose, and draw-and-rack if it comes to that, but I just saw a training video in which a woman carrying Israeli style would have been killed by a knife had the attack been real. I would like to carry at the ready, but doing so really gives me the heebie-jeebies. Am I being silly? Do other people carry Glocks in IWB holsters with chambered rounds? Is it just something one has to get used to? If anybody could advise me, I'd be grateful.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:53   #2
FriscoCHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbaum View Post
Am I being silly?
Yes. If you carry in a decent holster that covers the trigger, you will be fine. just be contious of clothing and your finger while holstering. its the same thing as carrying your DA revolver with the hammer down.

I carry my 19 and 26 ready to go, with one in the pipe. and have never thought twice about it.

eta: welcome to the forum!!

Last edited by FriscoCHL; 11-11-2010 at 09:58..
Old 11-11-2010, 12:44   #3
Steel Head
Tactical Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriscoCHL View Post
Yes. If you carry in a decent holster that covers the trigger, you will be fine. just be contious of clothing and your finger while holstering. its the same thing as carrying your DA revolver with the hammer down.

I carry my 19 and 26 ready to go, with one in the pipe. and have never thought twice about it.

This is what I would say.
Old 11-11-2010, 14:37   #4
Zertek

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriscoCHL View Post

and btw to GT
Old 11-11-2010, 09:57   #5
Dingus

To gain confidence, do this:

Take your G19 and holster to the range.

Place your loaded, chambered G19 into the holster (not attached to your belt).

Point the holstered G19 downrange at a target and try to fire it without removing it from the holster.

Lifetime Member of The Human Race
Old 11-11-2010, 10:11   #6
Agent6-3/8

Yes, you're being silly. However, it is not unusual for some new to guns like Glocks to be concerned about carrying a round chambered. (just like some people freakout about a cocked and locked 1911) Rest assured the gun will not go off and shoot you in the ass.

The basic truth of the matter is that a gun not carried in ready to fire condition is nothing more than a paperweight. No matter how fast one is, the time it takes to charge the weapon would be much better spent putting rounds down range and into your attacker. Trying to chamber a round at the moment of truth is much like trying to put your seatbelt on when you see you are about to crash.

My advise is to carry your Glock around you house without a round in the chamber until you get comfortable with it. Until you are comfortable carrying your Glock chambered, stick with your wheelguns for CCW.

Last edited by Agent6-3/8; 11-11-2010 at 10:12..
Old 11-11-2010, 10:13   #7
danbaum

Thank you!

All terrific replies. Thank you very much.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:14   #8
Adam5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingus View Post

Point the holstered G19 downrange at a target and try to fire it without removing it from the holster.
This is good advice.

If your concern is the gun firing while holstered, this will alleviate that concern.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Adam5; 11-11-2010 at 10:14..
Old 11-11-2010, 10:14   #9
danbaum

This is a particularly great idea. Thank you very much.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:29   #10
justdriftin

Quote:

Or you can place your unloaded G19 into the holster, go to a safe place, and try to dry fire it while still in the holster.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:47   #11
Sonnytoo

Quote:

Let's make it simpler. Do it at home. No rounds in the gun at all. Just draw the slide back to make sure it's cocked with the trigger forward. Then stick it in your holster and try to "click" the trigger.

Sonnytoo
Old 11-12-2010, 09:08   #12
danbaum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnytoo View Post
Let's make it simpler. Do it at home. No rounds in the gun at all. Just draw the slide back to make sure it's cocked with the trigger forward. Then stick it in your holster and try to "click" the trigger.

Sonnytoo
This is what i tried, and you're right; I couldn't make the firing pin fall. I massaged the outside of the holster in every conceivable way, and never tripped the trigger. Thank you.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:58   #13
chukb

Quote:
sounds like good entertainment for the other people at the range.
Walther P22
Old 11-11-2010, 10:01   #14
-gunut-

You just have to get comfortable with it. Carry without one in the pipe for a while to get used to it. Notice if the trigger is ever depressed. With any decent holster you will be fine.

Quote:
Torture tests are silly and prove nothing about a gun. Hell you pour sand down MY ass crack and I'll jam up and and fail to extract...
Old 11-11-2010, 16:19   #15
awq134

Send a message via ICQ to awq134 Send a message via AIM to awq134 Send a message via MSN to awq134 Send a message via Yahoo to awq134
Quote:
Originally Posted by -gunut- View Post
You just have to get comfortable with it. Carry without one in the pipe for a while to get used to it. Notice if the trigger is ever depressed. With any decent holster you will be fine.
this is what i did... made sure the chamber was empty with the trigger in the forward position and a full magazine. I carried it like this for 2 weeks and checked every night to see if the trigger had moved, and as i was hoping, i didnt' budge!

Old 08-27-2012, 15:03   #16
Veedubklown

Quote:
Originally Posted by -gunut- View Post
This is how I broke myself of the fear of carrying C1. Also, dry fire (no ammo in the room, gun, etc) drills of draw, point in, press, reset action, reholster. Do this for 20-30 minutes (no longer, anything longer is just tiring, not helping your muscle memory), and see if you ever pull the trigger re-holstering. I'm sure your going to be fine.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:04   #17
Glock27NY

Ive carried different glocks with a round chambered in iwb/owb holsters and never had a problem with it. If soft iwb holster freaks you out then get a nice, quality leather or kydex holster. You could also chamber a snap cap, holster it, do your daily routine around the house and then check if trigger was pulled. BTW.. Glocks have a 5.5lbs trigger pull so I doubt it will discharge from your love handle rubbing on it.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:37   #18
Cream Soda Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock27NY View Post
Ive carried different glocks with a round chambered in iwb/owb holsters and never had a problem with it. If soft iwb holster freaks you out then get a nice, quality leather or kydex holster. You could also chamber a snap cap, holster it, do your daily routine around the house and then check if trigger was pulled. BTW.. Glocks have a 5.5lbs trigger pull so I doubt it will discharge from your love handle rubbing on it.
Ditto this!
Old 11-11-2010, 10:04   #19
redbaron007
Lifetime Membership
A Nice Prick!

It's a mental block you will have to outgrow. Just remember, about the only way you can deactivate the safety mechanism is with your finger. Keep your finger off of it and your should be good to go.

Find a holster that protects the trigger and you won't have any problems. You'll be fine!

red
TopGun *357sig* Club - #2632
The 10 Ring #00720

R.I.P. Cajunator® ~ R.I.P. JTull7
R.I.P. Mullah (aka El_Ron1) ~ R.I.P. GioaJack ~ R.I.P. Okie
Old 11-11-2010, 10:20   #20
hardcorp

If you don't you're doing it wrong.

Closed Thread

Tags
chambered, glock 19, israeli, iwb