View Single Post
Old 10-24-2007, 10:03   #30
Cousin
Gambel's Quail

Henckels and Wusthoff are certainly nice, well-made knives. You can't go wrong with either. I own a few of each. But, my collection of kitchen knives is somewhat large and eclectic to say the least. I'm one of those cooks who looks for feel in the hand, weight, balance, comfort and purpose when I buy cutlery. In addition to the German-made ones, I have a custom-made 10" chef's from a NY knifemaker, a Thiers-Issard carbon steel French chef's, half a dozen different Kyocera ceramics, numerous Forschner and Dexter-Russell knives, a Mundial 6" chef's, a Global, a 10" Case carving knife, a Lamson cleaver and several Asian-made knives along with a few oddball specialty knives I collected along the way. Probably 35 in all.

If you haven't yet purchased your knives, don't overlook the Victorinox Forschner line of stamped steel knives. They consistently score very high marks in test kitchens and among professional chefs in volume eateries. Sharp, relatively inexpensive, hold an edge well, take an edge easily, feel good in the hand, non-slip grip, dishwasher safe and the 10" or 12" chef's models are powerful enough to go lengthwise through a butternut or spaghetti squash with ease.