Lots of small reasons:
1. Coming home from the army from the West Bank in uniform and unarmed.
2. Security Nazis searching unarmed people at entrances of malls, public transport stations, etc.
3. Low capacity and stopping power of police pistols available to reserve LEOs.
4. General threat of criminal activity.
5. A gentleman should always carry a loaded gun.
Rust and bureaucrats. Freedom and vigilance. Front sight and trigger. Kindness and firepower. Situational awareness and tolerance. Safety and concealment. Taxes and allegiance. Love of man and surgical marksmanship. Once a soldier, always a soldier.