View Single Post
Old 10-06-2006, 16:25   #433
USAret

Quote:
Originally posted by Glockdude1
Here in Texas, there is quite a few acres to go shooting.

WELL THAT IS QUITE TRUE THERE IS A LOT OF LAND IN TEXAS; and a whole bunch of people living on it. One question though.

Besides targets, just what is there to SHOOT AT in Texas; what passes for a deer around here wouldn't make a decent meal for a medium sized dog? No insult intended to born and bred "TEXANS" but “Big Game” is a class of critters that are around 10 times the size of what I’ve seen in big ole Texas. (Yes! I’ve seen the “rent-a-hunt ‘ranches’” where some non-native species are raised on “store-feed” and “hunted” by “hunters” that pay thousands to place the cross-hairs on an animal that is basically a domesticated pet. All the while the ‘hunter’ does not even get the soles of his boots dusty.)

Lets see; a quick rewind in the old memory reveals that in Big Sky Country there are: Moose, Elk (the biggest in the world), White-tails, Mule-deer, Antelope, Brown Bear, Mountain Goat, Bighorn Sheep, Bob cats, Mountain Lions, and the one place on the whole earth where you can LEGALLY hunt Griz (That is Grizzly Bear for you city folk). That is not even counting the non-game species and all the waterfowl (I’ve never owned a shotgun, so I couldn’t give a competent accounting of what is currently hunted). World-Class Blue-Ribbon Trout streams and Salmon runs.

For the People; Montana has 6.19 persons per Square Mile
In Montana if you can SEE your neighbor’s house you’re in a crowded ‘urban’ area. Most people SEE Mountains, forests, streams and wildlife out of ALL their windows.

Texans are locked elbow to elbow with a density of 79.6 per Square Mile
In Texas if you CAN NOT hear your neighbors TV you’re in an area that is “spread-out”. If you look out ANY window you will see the side/back/front of another house.

Student To Teacher Ratio in Montana is 11:1 in Elementary and 8:1 in High Schools
In big ole Texas—well lets just say my sons classrooms look to be built for about 30 but actually contain 40-60 students so we can round that down to a student to teacher ratio of about 50:1

I’m a bit lucky while living here in Texas I have to drive about 1.5 miles to get to the local shooting range. However; in Montana I shoot whatever I please while comfortably seated on my Redwood deck off the back of my home. For a change of scenery I can saddle-up and ride in any direction, stop and staple a target to a tree and blast away, or if it is hunting season I can harvest enough good, clean, untainted meat to feed my family for half the winter; I’ll get the other half winters’ supply next weekend, no hurry.

Speaking of horses, I can’t quite understand this whole ‘Texas Cowboy’ thing. How is it that I can walk into my wife’s favorite country place here in big ole Texas and everyone is wearing a pair of boots and a hat but I am the only one in the building that even owns a horse? Yet in a ‘country’ establishment in Big Sky Country there isn’t anyone present that DOES NOT own a horse (usually several).

And as I pointed out in my previous posting, 10 Acres is still a garden plot.
Instructor
Retired
Student
USAret is offline   Reply With Quote