View Single Post
Old 12-07-2005, 15:31   #113
TommyT

Quote:
Originally posted by Tempest UK
To be fair, you have to have really grown up here to understand it. Because it has been such a core part of the USA since it came into being, the right to bear arms is taken for granted. So when someone in the US looks at the UK, it will obviously seen totally alien to them.

If I had the power to do so, I would make the law more flexible for sport shooters (eg so our Olympic pistol shooters can train here, and make it easier for others to get into the sport). I'd hesitate to do so, but I would perhaps increase the number of armed police.

I'm a keen airsofter (airsoft replicas being the only way for me to really satisfy my interest in guns) and so the Violent Crime Reduction Bill banning such replicas has really hit me hard. Knee jerk legislation if I ever saw it. So again, that could, in my eyes, be changed.

As for a feeling of life here in relation to the need to carry a gun: I have very rarely felt threatened in public to the point where I felt the need to defend myself with anything more than my trusty pair of legs to run away, and if need be my feet and fists.

Interesting to have read your contributions to the thread, Tommy T, especially considering you're career
I totally agree mate. I am a keen hunter (generally deer) and also seem to spend my life shooting at clays! ;f I hold both a shotgun and firearms licence.
It just frustrates me with the attitudes on this site. All I read is "self defence" and it is getting somewhat tiresome. I only really started to post on here in the hope of somehow trying to pass on a balanced view on why things in the UK are the way they are.
Ultimately and unfortunately, I have failed. You can't win 'em all ;Q

In the meantime, I'll continue to go out there and do my bit for queen and country