View Single Post
Old 08-10-2014, 17:05   #13
DannyR

Beckley, WV 2014 GSSF Match, A Review:

Well, Saturday started off as a recipe for disaster. Heavy rains, a muddy and long private road down into the pit, parking in water and mud. What a road. It seemed 20 miles long. Every now and then, if you looked carefully you could spot a piece of gravel in the dirt and mud. Even the ruts had ruts. Yet people showed up, showed up from many, many States. Was it a disaster? No! Enter the Staff of GSSF and the Volunteers of The Beckley Gun Club. What a crew! GSSF was well represented by Patti Norton, Mark Ramsey and Mark Leeber. Registration was as smooth as silk. Bob and his Beckley crew did a stellar job keeping things moving in the rain, which subsided around noon on Saturday. I made an important discovery. The ink on the labels is not really waterproof. OK, enough background.
There were three 5 To Glock stages running simultaneously, as were three Glock M stages. Two Plate Racks plus a practice plate bay. Great hot dogs at the lunch vendor. Really nice Glock/GSSF merchandise for sale. Scott, the regional L.E. Sales Manager was armorer for the weekend. His biggest challenge came first thing Saturday morning when my teammates first shot was a squib--one of my reloads. It took Scott a while, but he finally cleared the barrel.
The R.O.'s stood in the rain for hours so that we could play our game. They are as dedicated staff as I've ever encountered. Every one worked hard to make our experience as pleasant as possible, and I thank them for their effort.
As for shooting in the rain, I should do it more often. My unofficial score of 131.44 was my best score since September 2001 and my 3rd best score in all 49 matches to date. Not too shabby for a 70 year old. My Competition score was 136.xx, both divisions shot with G19's. My Am/Civ Gen2 G19 now has 94,000 rounds fired. Hope to break 100,000 next year. I may even celebrate by replacing the original trigger spring and firing pin spring.
I saw so many of my old friends, made many new friends. Can't remember all, but I do remember Rodney Leeber, who is one of my very best friends, Bob & Pat Temple, Ann Young, Coy & Mrs. Parks, Tony & Andrea Boone, Bryan Dover, Mr. Wilhelm, at least a dozen of my Roanoke friends, all my teammates. It was so great I returned on Sunday to see even more friends, as they are the best part of GSSF.
If there is any way you can make it to this match next year, by all means do so. It is a most wonderful experience. Tentative date for The Coalfields Classic V is August 08-09, 2015. I'll be there both days for sure, selling umbrellas.
Bull Dawg #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
DannyR is offline   Reply With Quote