View Single Post
Old 08-06-2014, 10:47   #18
dryfly
Platinum Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Unrealious View Post
I see the nation starting to turn from a Nation of Laws to a Nation of Men. The rules and legalities seem to matter less and less as people want to migrate to a system of popular opinion.

Has America fallen so low that all we can do is bicker among ourselves and lose track of what is really important?

Reminds me of this quote that my brother has memorized and will often recite after a couple of bourbons.

It is the referral to "baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men" that worries me at times .... whether its on a gun board or in my town politics or even just on the front sidewalk.

" A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious.
But it cannot survive treason from within. an enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and he carries his banners openly. But the traitor moves among those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not traitor, he speaks in the accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their garments, and he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of a city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist, A murderer is less to be feared."

Marcus Tullius Cicero
dryfly is online now   Reply With Quote